Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM
New User

amartin98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil Dipstick location

Hello everyone. Let me thank you in advance for any help you can provide....

I just recently did a swap from a 300 to a 351M. The engine that I used I beieve may have been from a car. Anyhow, I also had an old 351 M from a truck, so I used the mounts, oil pan and everything from that engine, on the new engine to make it work.

Well yesterday I went to put the oil dipstick in the block, right next to the front plate behind the alt. and I found that the hole was filled. It was not a screw in plug or anything, alomst looks like it was never drilled out. I put a punch in there and hit a few times with a hammer, gently of course, and nothing happened. This engine came with the dipstick in the oil pan, so now I am not sure what to do. I am feeling kind of like a dipstick. ha ha ha....anyhow.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or some ideas about what to do.

Thanks again
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Postmaster

53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you have a rear sump pan, you want the dipstick in the rear of the pan. If you have a front sump pan, you want the dipstick to go through the front of the block. Good luck

'53 Ford F-100 Hot Rod

'79 F-350 4X4

'94 F-150 4X4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...163821.520.390
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior User

fastford59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm thinking your engine is a Windsor,with the dipstick in the oil pan...FF59
Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 AM
New User

amartin98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
lol, I am certain that it is a 351M. When I got this motor it was a rear sump oil pan, and pickup (actually it was more in the middle), I used the front sump pick and pan off of my other 351M.I know that the dipstick is supposed to go in at the fron't of the block, but the hole where the Dip Stick is supposed to go, is not drilled out.....At least it does not look like it, or feel like it.......??????????

Lol, as long as it is just the simple things that go haywire.....

Thanks again for your input...

Andrew
Old 05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Postmaster

53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have no idea what you have now, as I have never seen or heard of a middle sump pan on a 335 series engine...

'53 Ford F-100 Hot Rod

'79 F-350 4X4

'94 F-150 4X4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...163821.520.390
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Post Fiend

husker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to behold
I have 3- 400's here at present. One is in my 78 Bronco and it has the dipstick on the driver's side going into the middle back of the pan to a rear sump. The engine that came out of the Bronco was the same. I also have a '71 400 that came out of a car and it has the dipstick on the front of the engine on the passenger side in the location you describe. That engine was rebuilt and has a truck rear sump pan on it and the hole for the dipstick in the pan is blocked off. The PO of the engine did that.

It seems the 351m/400's from autos used the front location and the trucks the side location for the dip stick.
78 Bronco
54 F250
64 Thunderbird
Old 05-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior User

sparky69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think that the rear sump pans were only used on 4x4 trucks. cars and 2wd trucks got front sump pans and had the dipsticks going into the block. why not just get the dipstick for the rear sump pan? is the hole in the pan welded closed?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Elder User

mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.mgraveman has a good reputation on FTE.
He would have to pull the engine to put a new oil pan on it.

I just found I have the opposite problem - two holes....

Mines a 2wd F350, has dipstick in pan (now one in the block too)

2003 Excursion 4x4 - V10 3.73 gears
1994 F350 Reg Cab Dually PSD/ZF5 2wd
2010 Camry
1996 Mustang GT
Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Post Fiend

husker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to behold
I would probably just use the location that is appropriate and plug the other hole, unless you want to confuse the innocents and use two dip sticks. lol
78 Bronco
54 F250
64 Thunderbird
Old 07-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Senior User

bmc69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
[quote=amartin98Well yesterday I went to put the oil dipstick in the block, right next to the front plate behind the alt. and I found that the hole was filled. It was not a screw in plug or anything, alomst looks like it was never drilled out. I put a punch in there and hit a few times with a hammer, gently of course, and nothing happened. [/QUOTE]

The plug only punches out from the bottom...as far asI know. 50 or so blocks through here and I've never seen one that was not drilled out..but with Ford anything is possible. When I stick the 400s in EBs I use the front block (pass car/pass side front) dipstick hole that you are referring to.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland

Tags
2001, 351, 351m, 64, block, dip, dipstick, drivers, f150, f350, ford, hole, location, oil, put, side, stick, tbird, winsor, year