Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Posting Guru

adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.
Where to find NaOH??

im trying to make my first small batch of Bio-D using the Dr. Pepper Method. I missioned around all day yeasterday trying to find supplies. I found the HEET Gas-Line Anti Freeze to use as the METHANOL. I can't seem to find any NaOH. I was looking for anything that said lye, or caustic soda. I even found Red Devil Lye that said on the bottle "does not contain lye". Does anybody know of another brand product I can use. I have heard of using KOH instead, what products have KOH and how much more of that do I need to mix. Also I live in Orange County, so please any home brewers from the OC chime in on where you get you supplies.

Also-what types of WVO are the best and what ones should I stay away from.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Adam

2005 F350 6.0 (modded) ~450rwhp/900+ft/lb tq
1999 F350 7.3 (normal mods + 13" King Suspension on 40's)
1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
1994 Bronco (normal mods + 9" Coil Suspension on 35's)
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb
im trying to make my first small batch of Bio-D using the Dr. Pepper Method. I missioned around all day yeasterday trying to find supplies. I found the HEET Gas-Line Anti Freeze to use as the METHANOL. I can't seem to find any NaOH. I was looking for anything that said lye, or caustic soda. I even found Red Devil Lye that said on the bottle "does not contain lye". Does anybody know of another brand product I can use. I have heard of using KOH instead, what products have KOH and how much more of that do I need to mix. Also I live in Orange County, so please any home brewers from the OC chime in on where you get you supplies.

Also-what types of WVO are the best and what ones should I stay away from.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Adam

Welcome to FTE Adam Red Devil Lye is exactly what you want for your test batches. When you are ready to make larger batches I would use KOH only. It works soooo much better! Look for chemical suppliers in the "yellow-pages" where you live. What you want is Potassium Hydroxide 95% or better, Its a little more expensive but well worth it. Have a look at the posts in this forum for lots of good info. I use all forms of oil and have not had any problems. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Biodiesel

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 05-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Posting Guru

yo fabman,

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how it turns out.

1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Posting Guru

couldn't find anywhere that sells lye. everyone i talked to said that it was illegal now. i gave up my search and resulted to buying some red devil lye off EBAY. should arrive in a couple days.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb
couldn't find anywhere that sells lye. everyone i talked to said that it was illegal now. i gave up my search and resulted to buying some red devil lye off EBAY. should arrive in a couple days.

Try, http://www.boyercorporation.com or http://www.chemistrystore.com

Expensive [ I pay $.96/lb ] but it is availible. I'ts used in the making of "meth" so the controls on it are getting tighter. The place I get mine from have installed cameras everywhere and I have to show photo ID, and a CDL/Haz-mat DL everytime....and I've been buying from them for over 2 years.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Posting Guru

thanks for the links.

will check 'em out!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
I don't know about selling lye bieng illegal, just that red devil supposedly isn't making it anymore, the place I used to get red devil doesn't sell it anymore but they sell a brand called Rooto that is 100% lye and is what I use. But it's even more expensive than the 96 cents a pound that fabman is talking about.
I suppose the lye might have been made illegal in your state, here in Iowa they just made it almost impossible to get cold and allergy medicine to supposedly stop meth makers. But if it's a major ingredient in meth I can see them using that as an excuse to make it hard to homebrew biodiesel.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive got a 20lb bag to get rid of, im going full scale like fabman and using the potas. look up chemical brothers and suppliers like that.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior User

BigRed350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys, I've ordered all kinds of chemicals from Post Apple Scientific for years now. They sell EVERYTHING for making BD, even the equipment! They even have a whole section devoted to BD. They are selling Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) for $52.00 for 2.5 Kilos. I haven't done the math, but a Kilo is 2.2 pounds, so I think 2.5 Kilos is about 5 and a half pounds. So... if there are 16 ounces in a pound, that should come out to about 88 ounces. If my calculations are correct, that equates to something like 55 cents an ounce. Here's their link if anyone is interested.

http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shop...-reagents.html

Mark

1971 Corvette Coupe, 454 LS-6 465hp.Muncie c/r 4sp. 85,000 miles, AC, PB
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed350
Hey guys, I've ordered all kinds of chemicals from Post Apple Scientific for years now. They sell EVERYTHING for making BD, even the equipment! They even have a whole section devoted to BD. They are selling Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) for $52.00 for 2.5 Kilos. I haven't done the math, but a Kilo is 2.2 pounds, so I think 2.5 Kilos is about 5 and a half pounds. So... if there are 16 ounces in a pound, that should come out to about 88 ounces. If my calculations are correct, that equates to something like 55 cents an ounce. Here's their link if anyone is interested.

http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shopsite/Chemassoc2/pas-reagents.html

Mark
Ouch! thats $9.45 per pound!! I pay $.96 per pound, and use 3 lbs per 25gal oil. At your cost that would be $28.35 for 25 gal of bio...........NO THANK YOU.

fabmandelux.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
dang I just looked at that site, they are selling methonal for what appears to be $55/gallon, it just went up here to $2.80 and I was gripping.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior User

Your right! I rechecked their price and my math, but no matter how you slice it, Post Apple is charging near 10 dollars a pound! I guess it's like with anything though, if you buy quantity you always get a better price. If someone just wanted to experiment on a small scale and didn't want to have to deal with 50 pound bags of lye sitting around, then it might be a good thing! But on a production level, the costs would kill you!

Mark

Old 05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Senior User

Your right! I rechecked their price and my math, but no matter how you slice it, Post Apple is charging near 10 dollars a pound! I guess it's like with anything though, if you buy quantity you always get a better price. If someone just wanted to experiment on a small scale and didn't want to have to deal with 50 pound bags of lye sitting around, then it might be a good thing! But on a production level, the costs would kill you! They seem more devoted to the hobbiest. All I've bought from them in the past are hard to find chemicals for making explosives...

Mark

Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed350
Your right! I rechecked their price and my math, but no matter how you slice it, Post Apple is charging near 10 dollars a pound! I guess it's like with anything though, if you buy quantity you always get a better price. If someone just wanted to experiment on a small scale and didn't want to have to deal with 50 pound bags of lye sitting around, then it might be a good thing! But on a production level, the costs would kill you!

Mark
Rob, I just ran the numbers.........$12.13 per gallon of bio produced!

I'm in the wrong business, I should be selling chemicals

FABMANDELUX.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
holy shipping batman, man we got to network our chemical companies. Lookup the thread I posted for Arizona chime in and you will see the chemical companies that we use here. Then start the google and yellow page searches....you dont have to buy in bulk to get better prices.....Fabman, thanks for the prayers, Caleb is back to normal now. He seems to get his memory mixed a little but i think that is the leftover meds.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels