Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dash gauge mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 PM
pbr man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash gauge mounts

<CENTER>Anyone using one of these stye gauge mounts? If so, would you recomend them? Do they hide anything important? Thanks for any input.</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Fully recommend.

They partially hide the battery and parking break lights on the dash, and totally obscure the seatbelt light. I've found, through experience, that I can detect a failing alternator before my battery light goes on anyway. The dash lights dim first. The other two lights are pretty useless. You should be able to tell when the e-brake is on and seatbelt lights are for blind people. Again the brake light and battery light are partially visible.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:52 PM
pbr man
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I've been leaning toward this style for awhile, just wanted to hear from someone using one. Just got off the phone with Dave from Diesel Power Products-site sponsor- and will have my mount and Dipricol Optix gauges here by Friday.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Question Some closer pics

I love the idea of having the water temp and oil press gauges on the dash like that. I also like the idea of having the tranny temp gauge by the shifter....Ingenious for sure.........Do you happen to have any more detailed pics of the installation and also, what all do you have to remove to install them? The info I read said that youhad to remove the bezel on the instrument cluster...I was hoping for a simple installation on both mounts...Please let me know more about the complexity of both mounts........PM me or post pics here if possible...Thanks, Dave

Old 05-24-2006, 07:19 PM
BJB6521
Freshman User
Would that bezel work on a 2001 Excursion?

Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
I've been thinking about that setup, too. I've been considering putting left bank pyro on the left, and right bank pyro on the right with an oil pressure gauge on the steering column. I was thinking of putting a coolant temperature gauge place of the A-pillar pyro.

On the other hand, maybe I could... Ah. PMS. I think I need to try work on another hobby.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by DaveWilliams
I love the idea of having the water temp and oil press gauges on the dash like that. I also like the idea of having the tranny temp gauge by the shifter....Ingenious for sure.........Do you happen to have any more detailed pics of the installation and also, what all do you have to remove to install them? The info I read said that youhad to remove the bezel on the instrument cluster...I was hoping for a simple installation on both mounts...Please let me know more about the complexity of both mounts........PM me or post pics here if possible...Thanks, Dave
Here's another pic from an angle. I don't think you remove anything. The bezel around the speedo slides in and is kinda held in place with double sided tape. It actually works. The column bezel just snaps into place, very firmly.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up Looks great

It looks like you have the ISSPRO gauges? They have the red needle with the same background color as stock....and the incrimental scales on all thier gauges are easy to read and comprehend at a glance. Who did you go through and how difficult was the installations? Thanks for all the help...Dave

Old 05-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

I have Isspro's in the A pillar, but AutoMeter Z series in the dash pods. I like the AutoMeters a lot more. The Isspros are now about five years old but they have always had an annoying glow around the dial. Maybe they are better now. They AM's are much, much easier to read at night. I would say perfect to see. Not too bright and not too dim. They look great I think next to the factory stuff. The isspro's seemed too bright then I ended up putting green paint on the bulbs which worked for a bit then it melted off... Now the lights burned out all-together on them. I've been seriously contemplating replacing them with matching AM Z's.

I got a lot of it from DieselManor. The install isn't that bad. What I recommend and what I've done is put in a Painless Wiring auxially fuse setup that runs a relay for lots of juice and several well marked leads coming off it. Some are ignition switched and some are constant hot. On the other side of the coin I put in a nice ground bus right next to the fuse block. They are both easily accesible right under the access panel by your knees. Once you have that it makes wiring the gauges fairly easy. Remember each gauge is going to have light power, gauge power in a lot of cases, a ground, and a sending unit wire. Multiply those four times the number of gauges and you can end up with a rats nest pretty quickly. I recommend getting both black and red wire to do them up.

If you don't have gauges you want to get a pyrometer and mount the sending unit pre-turbo. I drilled a hole in one of my up-pipes and welded a bung there, but the easiest way seems to be to drill and tap the exhaust manifold since it's pretty soft cast iron. Do a search on Pyro and you'll have reading for days. The key is to no drill out the hole too much. There's a sweet spot for the hole size. NPT is a tapered thread and too big of a hole and you're pissed.

The other gauges you want are boost and trans temp which are both much easier to install.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:16 AM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Talking Bunch of gauges

I'm gonna be needing a bunch of gauges for sure. I have been toying with the 3 or 4 gauge setup on the A post. The standard ones like boost, pyro and tranny...but I saw someone somewhere that had the tranny on the shifter column and that seemed like a cool place to hang it....and like you have on the gauge bezel, maybe the oil press and water temp...just because...
I have an onboard air system for my train horns, and run about 150 psi and ISSPRO makes a great gauge for that too. I was figuring on putting the press gauge on the A post..was debating on 4 on the post, and the 2 on the instrument cluster, which would mean the tranny would be on the A post...or 3 on the A post, and the other 3 in front of me.....Oh decisions decisions........and I still am looking to make a set of stacks that don't come up through the bed. I carry a generator with my fifthwheel and need the bed in front of the hitch for the generator...then there is the dentist that wants $650 for a crown and other work....I hate dentists.....they cramp my whole truck plans....Oh well..thanks for all the help......work to be done....Dave

Old 05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
Here's another pic from an angle. I don't think you remove anything. The bezel around the speedo slides in and is kinda held in place with double sided tape. It actually works. The column bezel just snaps into place, very firmly.

I have the column bezel and have not put it in yet. Does the existing top of the column cover snap off? I am guessing it does and then you snap the new bezel with the gauge mount in? I am afraid of breaking the old and new one during install as I have a tendency to muscle things in sometimes....

Forgot to ask about the difficulty of installing the fuel pressure gauge??

Old 05-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

It just snaps on over it. It's pretty rigid though.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
It just snaps on over it. It's pretty rigid though.
Do you by chance have a photo that shows the entire bezel up close from the side? I could swear that mine had a tab on the bottom of each side that looked like they needed to snap inside something.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

No picture, but I just looked at it and the only restraining items are the holes for the hazard button and key release thumb switch. It is on very, very tight.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Thumper4995
Senior User
I need to get off my butt and install it. I will go home tonight and look at it. From what I remember, mine would look strange if it just sat on top of the existing column bezel. Not to mention may not even do that. I figured I would have to pull the column bezel apart.

Quick Reply: dash gauge mounts