Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
VIN plate engraving/stamping help needed

I just noticed that my firewall VIN plate is missing. I don't remember even if I had this plate when I bought the truck a few years ago. The truck was also missing the data plate from the glove box.

I just bought a firewall VIN plate from Sac Vintage Ford and need to know who can engrave/stamp it for me. I have the title to my truck and could prove the VIN is legit. I called Sac Vintage Ford and they only stamp VIN plates for '53 and up vehicles. The guy that does it for them won't do '52 and older. I was told to try different engravers.

Has anyone else ran into the same problem? Anyone know if there's someone who does the stamping? I want it to be as close to original as possible. I do have other firewal VIN plates (from other Panels) to use as reference for the stamping, i.e. font, placement, etc...

Thanks, Ilya

Photo courtesy Sac Vintage Ford.
Click the image to open in full size.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Elder User

Blue50F-1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
PanelMan-
Any place that does engraving ought to be able to help you out. My Father actually does it, but he does free-hand artistic stuff. What you need is some-one who does computer guided engraving--which is not hard to find. My local HS has a machine that does it, and so do a couple places in the mall, and at least one jeweler I know of. All it takes is having a font that is similar or identicle to that on your other VIN plates. They type up what you need in the computer, stick the plate in their machine, and in less than a minute you're done.

Good luck!

Driver,
'50 F-1, Light Blue, Tan int, 69 302, 4spd OD manual.
'66 Mercury Parklane, Original, light blue, 410, C6.
02 Explorer XLT, 4.0
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Postmaster

Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know about VIN plates, but the local place that makes trophies engraves all sorts of things. Medical alert tags, watches/jewelery, door/desk name plates, name badges, etc. Give one of them a call.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Elder User

Gary E is starting off with a positive reputation.
What about buying a punch kit from HF or something?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Senior User

John - NNY is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think back then, they used steel stamps. Go to a local machine shop and use theirs.

John
NNY
Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Posting Guru

fatfenders56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fatfenders56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the problem with all of this is that the original plates were stamped from the back sideClick the image to open in full size.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Post Fiend

bobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to beholdbobj49f2 is a splendid one to behold
Ilya,

You can try this place.

http://www.datatags.com/

I don't know if they will stamp your plate or you will to buy one of theirs but it's worth a try. I have never used them but I have given this link out to a couple of people who thanked me and seemed very happy with the product.
48/51 F-4 flatbed (2 in 1)/49 8N tractor

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Postmaster

53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.53fatfndr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Ilya,

You can try this place.

http://www.datatags.com/

I don't know if they will stamp your plate or you will to buy one of theirs but it's worth a try. I have never used them but I have given this link out to a couple of people who thanked me and seemed very happy with the product.
I got a quote from them a few weeks ago for my '53. They would supply the plate and stamp it for $85.

'53 Ford F-100 Hot Rod

'79 F-350 4X4

'94 F-150 4X4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...163821.520.390
Old 05-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
I got a quote from them a few weeks ago for my '53. They would supply the plate and stamp it for $85.
Thanks, Bob!

Same here.. $85 for a stamped tag. He can do a reversed stamp. Just need to verify that it was reversed.

I asked him about the glove box tag and he doesn't have one for '51/'52 years. He has them for '48-50 and '53-up.

Ilya
Old 05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior User

create is starting off with a positive reputation.
i know mid-fifties does this for the 53-56, all you have to do is provide proof of ownership.. maybe you should call them and ask who does their's because im sure they dont actually do it at their shop..
Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Elder User

Blue50F-1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I do have other firewal VIN plates (from other Panels) to use as reference for the stamping, i.e. font, placement, etc...
Have you got a pic of one of your other plates from the same year? The plates on my 50 are deffinately original, and deffinately engraved...NOT stamped. Your rig's a different year than mine, so I can't say for sure if they stamped them or engraved them, but I think I could tell the difference if I could see a pic...then again, maybe you can tell the difference.

Driver,
'50 F-1, Light Blue, Tan int, 69 302, 4spd OD manual.
'66 Mercury Parklane, Original, light blue, 410, C6.
02 Explorer XLT, 4.0
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue50F-1
Have you got a pic of one of your other plates from the same year? The plates on my 50 are deffinately original, and deffinately engraved...NOT stamped. Your rig's a different year than mine, so I can't say for sure if they stamped them or engraved them, but I think I could tell the difference if I could see a pic...then again, maybe you can tell the difference.
I have VIN plates from two different '49 trucks. I should check my '51 Panel. It has both VIN plates. My '51 Panel is a late '51 model and does have the same VIN tags as my '52.

Ilya
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1935, chrysler, classic, ford, identification, plate, plates, punch, reversed, stamp, tag, truck, vehicle, vin, vintage