General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Walking in Running Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:02 PM
TrekChick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking in Running Shoes

Is it okay to walk in your running shoes? I was thinking that since the "strike" is different walking than running, would you wear them out "wrong" for running if you walked in them much? (Pretty philosophical, huh?)

~~~~~TrekChick
(aka RunnerGirl)

Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know thr total outcome but I don know that some running shoes are designed to throw you forward on the next step at a normal running/jogging speed.

I wear Dr. Scholls walking shoes.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:15 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure hope so, because I wear running shoes all the time. Even though my philosophy on running since I left the Army many years ago, is to only run when chased.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:03 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since walking is the controlled motion of falling forward, I'd get "controlled motion falling forward shoes".

Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Neb86
Senior User
If you have running shoes, you wont be able to catch them with your walking shoes.

Just a tip for ya.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:55 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
yes, its fine to wear them. and how do i know....jeez, its just one of those things i picked up at sometime in my life!

the most important thing in a shoe is to be sure it matches the arch of your foot.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
If you actually run in them sometimes I would keep them away from walking time. Not because they make bad walking shoes, but because they'll last longer and have a chance to bounce back to normal in between runs. If you don't run I don't see how it matters.

When you say walking, do you mean as intentional excercise (sport) or just just going from A to B? Did that make any sense? If you walk as actual excercise I would get something intended for it next time you're buying.

I'm no expert, just my thoughts.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:48 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd think running shoes would be fine

Old 05-20-2006, 05:15 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
I wear running shoes all the time; I'm on my feet all day and I can feel it if I don't wear shoes with good cushion and support. For me, the Asics Gel shoes have always been the most comfortable. Put a nice gel insole in them, and I'm good to go all day.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM
slowsix
Senior User
Trekchick, if you are only going to wear the shoes for walking then no problem. If you are also going to use them for running occationally then no problem. If you are going to regularly run in the shoes (hence, running shoes) do not use them for walking and all around shoes. When you use a pair of shoes strickly for running they will wear in a pattern that will keep you from running injuries. If you use the same shoes for all around your chances of a running injury will increase. I have two pair of running shoes that are only for running until they break down, then I use them for everything. Two pairs alternated keeps them from breaking down and they last much longer. Only been running for the past 29 years pretty much injury free (knock on wood) with the two pair philosophy. Used to do marathons when I had the time. Just my 0.02 worth.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:06 AM
OKMIC1
Elder User
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
I sure hope so, because I wear running shoes all the time. Even though my philosophy on running since I left the Army many years ago, is to only run when chased.
Running would only leave me winded when they catch up.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anything about the shoes. I wear Cross-Trainers for everything.

What model is your Trek. I sold my Trek Fuel about 8 months ago and bought an Ironhorse 7point5.
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=6

Not much of a xcountry bike as it come in at close to 40lbs but it is a downhill beast.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

TrekChick, I see you live in Bak-o-field.

Is that sign that reads "X-amount of people have drowned since (this date)" still there at/near the entrance to the Kern River coming out of Lake Isabella?

I think it was on Caliente Bodfish Rd. and Hiway 178, or there abouts.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
TrekChick
Senior User
clarification

Thanks for the input, guys! But, let me clarify a bit... I recently took up running and bought some shoes that I use only for running. I also occasionally walk the dogs for exercise, usually somwhere around 2 to 4 miles, and I've always worn hiking boots for that. The running has been giving me shin splints off and on lately, and I noticed that when I walk in the hiking boots I can feel the shin splints, but when I walk in the running shoes I don't. So, I was thinking about walking the shoes I use only for running, and then the engineer in me took over and I started thinking about how the forces on the shoes when walking would be different from when running, and would that break them down for running in a bad way? One of the reasons I walk in hiking boots is for the ankle stability, but maybe I will just get some plain ole walking shoes for walking.

CAFordDude: It's a Trek VRX 200 that I've had for seven years now! I've been thinking about getting something lighter and with a 9-spd cassette so I can climb better - maybe a Turner 5 Spot! I'll still be TrekChick with my roadie 5200, though .

sierraben: Yes, the sign at the Kern Canyon entrance is still there. It was (sadly) unveiled just yesterday with a new count - 234 persons have died in the river since 1968. And the river is currently flowing at the highest, fastest level I've ever seen. The auxilary dam didn't pass seismic inspection by the Corps of Engineers, so the reservoir level has been lowered, and the discharge is unbelievable! It's even starting to undercut the highway in the canyon, and one lane is permanently closed until the flow is cut back at the end of the summer. Incredible!

~~~~~TrekChick

Old 05-20-2006, 10:19 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

TrekChick, unfortunate that it's that high. When I lived in Mojave, Ca. in '73, I don't remember what the figure was, but it was much lower, although any figure above zero is too much.

On a side note, that was a cold and swift river.