1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 F550 7.3L No throttle response.. Help Pls!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Gotta be a chafed wire. UGH. Only way to find that is to dig.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
reallymattgray
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Excursion 7.3 blowing #19 fuse, no throttle response

This is now happening to mine as well. There have been no recent modifications.

After about 5 times of starting, running it, and everything seems fine,
the next time I start it things still seem normal until I shift it into Drive and then there's no throttle response. As I recall the anti-theft red light flashes as well.

Next, upon stopping the engine and attempting to restart it, the "Wait to Start" instrument light is then gone, there is no cranking or turn over of the engine. Maybe this is when the anti-theft red light flashes (unsure).

I check fuse #19 (10 amp), and it's blown. Replacing fuse 19 solves the problem. The Service Engine Soon light illuminates and goes out after a few start-ups. NO CODES are showing.

Might anyone have an idea of which wiring harness section and its location, to go about checking for shorts?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
things still seem normal until I shift it into Drive
Yep, about the time the wire for the transmission control switch light grounds out on the innards of the steering column.....

Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Yep, about the time the wire for the transmission control switch light grounds out on the innards of the steering column.....
Sounds right to me. Nice write-up to fix said wire below....

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TransShifterLeverchaferepair.pdf (505.3 KB, 481 views)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM
reallymattgray
New User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Sounds right to me. Nice write-up to fix said wire below....
Great write-up, and well worth doing as preventative maintenance. Thank you!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 AM
richartdana44
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happened to me today

What a great site for quick, and much needed, information!

Drove to work site today, everything ran perfect. Left running while I checked out a work location and when I shifted her back into gear all the gauges just went dead. The throttle also did not respond but I was able to idle all the way back to the office. After checking the FTE forum page and reading this information, I went out and checked all the fuses. Sure enough I found a blown 10 amp mini fuse. Replaced the fuse, restarted and everything working perfect again. Have driven it a couple times and so far the fuse has not blown again.....I hope this does not happen again but I bought some extra fuses just in case.

This fuse was in a different position than what was stated earlier. Mine was located in slot #45 in the very bottom horizontal row of fuses, 4th one from the right side. Thanks everyone....

Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM
reallymattgray
New User
The FIX for mine was opening up the steering column and finding a hidden short from the wires rubbing against the metal steering column brackets. The wires are tied to the shifting lever (on the right of the steering wheel), and the short was hidden. Had to disconnect the shifting lever harness, install electrical tape padding on the metal bracket, treat the wires so as to seal them up again, and wrap them. No problems since, and it's been 20,000 miles. The harness was routed too tightly, and so every time I would shift into 1st or 2nd, the wires were pulled into direct contact with the metal bracket, which popped the fuse.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM
richartdana44
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I read the great Adobe right up that "aawlberninf350" provided. Hopefully mine will last until I get home this weekend so I can get in there and fix that wire!

Old 12-31-2019, 12:15 AM
James Tucker
New User
Originally Posted by xfordtech
Well......I spoke too soon! The damn thing blew the fuse again today and stranded one of my drivers in the middle of an intersection, so you can see why I'm a little bummed out. Now, however, the fuse blows every time I replace it! Anybody have any ideas? I think the GEM module, overdrive cancel switch, instrument cluster idle validation switch and Auxiliary powertrain control module are on the same circuit. Guess I'll just start trying to isolate them. Thanks for any help...
ford has a wire problem I recently found wire smashed under seat belt bracket on driver side back floor and some are wires that run through the driver's side pillar for the interior lights the visor screws wear into the wires. And it could be intermittent by hitting a bump driving down the road.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 AM
James Tucker
New User
Originally Posted by richartdana44
What a great site for quick, and much needed, information!

Drove to work site today, everything ran perfect. Left running while I checked out a work location and when I shifted her back into gear all the gauges just went dead. The throttle also did not respond but I was able to idle all the way back to the office. After checking the FTE forum page and reading this information, I went out and checked all the fuses. Sure enough I found a blown 10 amp mini fuse. Replaced the fuse, restarted and everything working perfect again. Have driven it a couple times and so far the fuse has not blown again.....I hope this does not happen again but I bought some extra fuses just in case.

This fuse was in a different position than what was stated earlier. Mine was located in slot #45 in the very bottom horizontal row of fuses, 4th one from the right side. Thanks everyone....
sounds like overdrive wire is chaffing on the Column had that happened to mine. Got new one from parts store and fixed it

Old 12-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by reallymattgray
The FIX for mine was opening up the steering column and finding a hidden short from the wires rubbing against the metal steering column brackets. The wires are tied to the shifting lever (on the right of the steering wheel), and the short was hidden. Had to disconnect the shifting lever harness, install electrical tape padding on the metal bracket, treat the wires so as to seal them up again, and wrap them. No problems since, and it's been 20,000 miles. The harness was routed too tightly, and so every time I would shift into 1st or 2nd, the wires were pulled into direct contact with the metal bracket, which popped the fuse.
Originally Posted by James Tucker
sounds like overdrive wire is chaffing on the Column had that happened to mine. Got new one from parts store and fixed it
I found a similar short in same location. The alerting symptom however was just a flashing overdrive light, not a blown fuse. Could have been a different wire, of the three wires inside the shift lever, that shorted.

I disassembled the column shift lever, retrieved, repaired, and rerouted the wires, reinstalled the shift lever, started up the truck, ran through the gears to test, it all worked, and then boom.. problem again.

My rerouting of the wires to prevent the same chafing from repeating... ended up not taking into consideration the full travel of the shifter in all positions (It stopped working when I shifted to Manual 1).

This "short" sightedness cost me $80 for an entire new shift lever, as I now had an OPEN inside the lever arm (wire ripped apart), and the design is such that the wires cannot be retrieved and rethreaded through the lever arm within the number of hours, paid at half of minimum wage, that it would take to buy an entire new arm, which is the only way that Ford services and supplies this harness made up of three wires that are about the gauge thickness of a human hair.

Lesson learned... be cautious in creative attempts to prevent an obvious problem... the consequence can be the creation of a new, not quite so obvious problem.

There also could have been another force at play...