1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gauges

I was having some problems a while back with my water temp gauge, great news got it fixed.

Now...I'm looking for more gauges, preferebly SunPro (to match the one already in there) but I'm game for anything, especially anything black. If anybody has any gauges they are looking to sell, please PM me.

I was thinking of removing my water temp gauge and replacing it with an oil pressure gauge, and changing the "switch" out for a real sender. What size thread is the sender, or what replacements have you guys been using? Where is it on the 4.0L OHV, and will oil spill when it's removed?

Also, anyone who's put a tranny temp sender in the M5OD, where and how?

Ok this was a pointless rant. Anyone have gauges they want to get rid of, anybody need oil pressure, water temp, or voltmeter gauges (voltmeter has no glass face or trim bezel), and what do I use to make my oil pressure gauge really work?

Thanks.

RP
Zach

Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can assure you, a tranny temp gauge on a M/T will serve no useful purpose other than ornamental decorating . On making your current oil pressure gauge reflect relative oil pressure, do a search here; the details have been posted in the past. A different sender and maybe a resistor removal are in order.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 05-17-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I'll jump right on it.

No point in a tranny temp gauge? I assume they just don't get hot enough to worry.

RP
Zach

Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you had an A/T, were hauling a payload of significance, dragging a trailer behind you, climbing mtn passes at freeway speeds on a regular basis, had noted a burnt smell in the fluid ( ), regularly got the engine good and warm, etc etc there might be a concern. Like adding a better tranny cooler.

Now jump right on it .

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 05-17-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To make an oil pressure gauge work properly, you must use the correct sender for the gauge. On my 3.0, the sender is located at the right rear of the block and is accessible through the fender well. I removed the sender for my oil idiot light, and replaced it with a short nipple, screwed on a stainless "T' (had to grind off about 1/8" in order to turn it), put the original sender on one leg of the "T" and the new sender (with a short extension) on the other, wired it to the new electric gauge and adjusted the gauge for zero. I used key power for the gauge and power from the dimmer for the gauge light. Both the idiot light and the new gauge both work fine.
Dono

Old 05-18-2006, 07:03 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Anybody have any idea what size the sender is when I go to get a new one? Or is it a universal kinda thing? Thanks for the replies.

RP
Zach

Old 05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's a sender for the early 80s Big Bronco with the 400...but the numbers for the part are here...

http://rogueperformance.com/oilsw.html

Old 05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Anybody have any idea what size the sender is when I go to get a new one? Or is it a universal kinda thing? Thanks for the replies.
RP
Zach
The sender must be matched to the gauge to be accurate. I'll see if I can find the name of the U.S. distributer for you. I called them about a problem I had with my gauge and they sent me a replacement set and answered all my questions regarding the resistance readings for the scale ..... excellent customer service.
Dono

Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Thanks dono. I'll start looking around as well.

RP
Zach

Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Thanks dono. I'll start looking around as well.
RP
Zach
U.S. distributer is Actron Manufacturing Co., 1-800-228-7667.
Dono