Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Things are getting stranger. Maybe I should call this thread the "SWAP SHOP"

Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things are getting stranger. Maybe I should call this thread the "SWAP SHOP"

I wanted an EFI engine in the Blue mule to begin with. My best friend wants to trade a 302 that needs a timing cover out of a '95 stang (with the computer and everything) and BUY THE TRUCK I am after for me ($300 cash), in exchange for the engine I built and put in the Mule - a carburetted 302. All of this so that he can drop a reliable engine into the '50 Ford shoebox that won't screw up on the way to work on him....

The late model engine has some miles on it and some issues, but will have the TRUCK EFI upper and lower and all the trimmings.

The truck system is a dual airbox with hella-bigger ports in the intake...

All I can think is that "SANTA CLAUS" has been watching me...

THIS is going to be interesting. I'll be wiring '95 model year Mustang HI-PO stuff into an '82 F-100 from scratch...

Fortunately - we have lots of rolls of not only wire but solder, and some old harnesses that can be butchered and remade.

There are two ways to look at this:

Either it's all a dream.

OR I have been hanging around with EXACTLY the right people...

- I still haven't talked to the local "DIESEL DUDE" about exactly what might be tradeable for the F250....

I never did want to part with the F100 itself, it was my first Ford truck. I'm kind of attached to it - it taught me lots of stuff!

This way I get to take it into another dimension.

The engine RIP-OUT should go down midday tomorrow, or thereabouts.

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-24-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Capbyrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is very similar to a car project that i want to start. i want to put an efi 351 into a maverick. but i hate wiring. ill be paying a premium to have painless make a harness for me. but for you, my friend, if i were in your shoes, id be in the junkyards looking for a 94 or 95 truck harness. at worst, that way, you would only probably have to extend a few sensor wires. but what do i know? im used to working on hondas.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Neh...

Dee has leftover harnesses, and that is one of the things I do well!

I spent TWENTY YEARS making old airplanes run like brand new - this is a walk in the park, brother.

You are in Memphis - if you get stuck on something TALK TO ME!!!

I can make it work...

I cut my teeth on everything from early Chryslers to 1958 Olds 88's, Desotos, late 80's Eldorados, 240 ZEE's, and finding my way through inexplicative Toyota wiring diagrams.

It ain't nuthin' to me now....

The biggy for you is going to be grabbing an engine bay wiring harness and computer and supplementing the wiring that is in there without crossing anything.

If you are running EFI, some of the main things are that you can't run anything BUT the computer. The distributor and harness include a jumper plug to set the timing right, and you will also have to retro-fit a pair of OXY sensors, so that it runs right.

Consider "DURASPARK II" to have just gone out the window, okay?

Ignition AND fuel feed are all run by the CPU.

Those computers are normally inside the passenger side kick panel just in front of the door. If you go to "Pick a Part" don't skip it....

In fact - get a few!!!

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-25-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks bubba. i have a little fuel injection knowledge from working on hondas for so long. for my maverick i will be running a completely custom computer if it ever happens because i want to run it turbocharged. but enough about that. i keep threadjacking your threads.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Nada Problema

It's all about making trucks run, and the faster the better!

I wonder how much I can do to tweak on them - sometimes a small resistor makes a big difference

And no - I am not hispanic