Computer Chips & Tuners  

Pros and cons of Edge products- whats your view?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:00 AM
MikeSDK
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and cons of Edge products- whats your view?

I'm trying to help myself take a little bit of my confusion of all the aftermarket stuff out of the equation here. If my logic is half-baked, someone please let me know before I do something I'll regret.

For starters, I need a set of 3 guages, probably an a-pillar mount. The package should run about 300 bucks from one of any of the available sellers.
Eventually, I'll probably want to do some kind of performance enhancing tuner/chip, but right now I just want to get a baseline of what the stock motor is doing. Other mods can come online as $$$$ permits.

My current thought is that I can spend a few bucks more than the 300 for gauges now and get the Edge Attitude to monitor the engine functions. (assuming it will work alone).
Later, when opportunity presents itself, I can buy into one of the other products (Juice, EZ, etc) for the performance boost, and all the components will be of the same family and will talk to each other.

I'm certainly not trying to omit or disparage other brands, just trying to apprach this in a way that makes sense and can be done in stages- 'scalability', I think they call it.

Is this approach doomed?

Old 05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
The Attitude monitor will only work with the juice module. It will not work as a stand alone device.

Quadzilla has the new Commander Monitor coming out hopefully at the end of the month. Atleast that is what they told me on the phone today. Plus it will work with or without any module and with out. Quadzilla Commander Check it out. Plus, TS will be shippimg out the new monitor they are developing with the heads up (windsheild) display. The Quadzilla has lots of really cool options.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
I just purchased the Edge Juice with Attitude, Platinum on Sat. and installed it on Sun. Took about 45 min.

I was looking at programmers and a gage set and both of those added up to the cost of the Edge package, and I liked all the additional parameters that the edge can monitor.

So far I'M happy with my decision.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 AM
bldenson
Have there been a lot of issues with the Edge Juice w/Attitude working after re-flashes on a 6.0 diesel?
I just purchased this set up and have yet to install. I've had all the re-flashes and have heard rumor that I may have to send the unit back to Edge for updates. I got a good deal and am hoping not to have to pay an additional $299 for these new Edge versions.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
You would not have to pay for a new unit if there was a PCM code issue. If you did have an issue, and you called Edge at www.edgeproducts.com thay would help you out with getting things going, be it today or a reflash that comes a year from now. Edge has very good customer service, we find them to be VERY good to work with. I would not be worried about that, you have the backing of Edge behind the product, and they are not out to make customers angry, they are out to do a good job and make you happy so you are a repeat customer that will be happy to recomend the product to friends and family.

Edge Products
Corporate Offices

1080 South Depot Drive
Ogden, Utah 84404

Hours
Monday - Friday
8am - 5pm MST
Phone

Toll Free
1.888.360.EDGE
(1.888.360.3343)

Fax
Technical Support
tech@edgeproducts.com

Sales
sales@edgeproducts.com

General Information
info@edgeproducts.com

Old 05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
WWBeast
Elder User
i got my truck reflashed and no problems with the edge, love it. its a great product for people that want guages and shift on the fly

Old 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
bldenson
Thanks. I've heard mostly all good stuff about Edge. Locally, their the most popular set up.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Go Aweigh2452
Senior User
I've had all the re-flashes and have heard rumor that I may have to send the unit back to Edge for updates. I got a good deal and am hoping not to have to pay an additional $299 for these new Edge versions.
Edge has a download section for free upgrades if under warranty. If not, it will cost you $75. Still not bad.

I got an Evolution off ebay for less than half price (used) and will probably spend the extra $75 to have it upgraded for my truck... after I upload the tow mod...

Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
You do not want to "Upload the tow mode" until after its been updated or you will loose the stock file from the truck. If you swap to the tow file, and go get the edge (That is now holding your stock file) updated, you just erased your stock file from the edge. Put your truck back to factory stock tunes, do the updates, and put the tunes in the truck.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:53 PM
keith Ruge
Senior User
I like to ask ?? I just got the Edge Evo and Im confused on the side of the unit the date of manuf. is 12/20/05 it is new and I went too update it and it came up --no current updates -- is this possible THANKS PS; I havnt hook it up to my screw yet

Old 05-19-2006, 07:07 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
The housings are manufactured ahead of time, and loaded with software just before shipping out of edge. So even thought the hardware may be from 12/20/05 the unit was delivered from edge approx 2 weeks ago. So you may in fact have the newest load if they have not released an update yet. Good to go

Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 PM
bldenson
Hooked up the Edge Juice w/Attitude today. About 30 minutes with two of us taking our time. All I can say is HOLY ****E! Did a couple runs on level 5, kept defueling on all shifts. Now if I can just keep my foot out of it. We'll give the claimed 10% fuel improvement a run on our pull to the East side next weekend. The guages will be nice to have along with the extra torque on tow mode.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
Talking

I had the edge w/attitude on an 04 6L and it made awesome power. The monitoring and de-fueling features are great.The only downside to the edge is that it can be an auto tranny killer. I had the original Edge and no knowedge of the new platinum version which is supposed have some tranny safe guards. Good luck to all that use it and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I believe the part number for the old one is done. I dont think you can even get the old ones any more unless its sitting on someones shelf. You are right, the platinum is alot better than the original. Plus you get a few more features. We sell lots of the Edge products and have had great success with the quality.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Toby'sFord
New User
Hey, noticed your in Ogden. I was the trainer for the Raptors for 03 and 04 first two years LA was there. Ever go to any games? Anyway, I am exploring the possibility of putting an Evolution on my 97 5.4 and was gonna see what my mechanic said first but what positive or negative feedback have you heard

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of Edge products- whats your view?