1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Motor

I checked through the threads and couldn't find real clear information on what electric wiper motors would fit in place of the vacuum units. I want to use a 12 volt unit. I saw something about Jeep and VW. Any help wouold be appreciated.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:08 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what happened to the FAQ article I submitted in January. It has a section on wiper motors....Check out the gallery of our member named COWMAN (he has a thread on this page). He did the Jeep Cherokee wiper motor adaptation and had some pictures in his gallery.

I'll try to remember to post a copy of the FAQ article section on wipers here tonight......

Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Thanks a lot. I really need to get going on the underside of the dash. I have to have most of the electrics in place to start the SHO motor. I'll check back tonight.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
I am interested also. We are in a severe drought out here in the desert with no chance of rain in site, but I still think it would be a novelty to have working wipers.

On my 49 I'll have to add the post for the passengers side. Looking under the dash I'm thinking about trying to hang a wiper motor from the passenger side. It looks like there is a bit more room there.

Bobby

Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good thinking Bobby! I have the wiper motor mocked up on the drivers side with a long 1/4 inch shaft connecting it to the mechanism. Used left and right threads on the shaft to fine tune the sweep.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
That's a good idea Fatfenders. I have some 1/4" ball end Heim joints that would work great as the linkage. Thread some stainless rod and it would be bulletproof.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Bikewrench,

Here ya go - the windsheild wiper portion of the FAQ article that we're waiting to see posted in the tech article section -

Electric Windshield Wiper Assemblies
First – a little background on vacuum wipers. For anyone that isn’t really familiar with vacuum wipers, it’s important to realize these things aren’t really meant to work properly, or at all. They were a sick joke by the Society of Automotive Engineers back in the 1930s that an embarrassed public was too shy to say anything about until about 30 years later. They run on vacuum … you know … the stuff you have none of when you pull out to pass in the rain … and the stuff you have very little of when you’re cruisin’.
All Ford trucks from the model years 1948 through 1960 came stock with vacuum wipers. Electric wipers were an option from 1951 on. There are several ways to address the problems associated with vacuum wipers – and in this article they all involve replacing the stock wipers with electric units. Keep in mind that 1948-1954 Ford trucks were 6 V positive ground and 1956-1960 trucks were 12 V negative ground.
Replacement Kits
If your truck came with electric wipers, you can buy new replacement electric wiper motors for all 1948 through 1960 Ford F-1/F-100 trucks. For 1948-1952 trucks you can buy 6 volt or 12 volt replacements. For 1953-1960 trucks, you can buy 12 volt replacements. These replacements are available at various vendors including LMC Trucks (www.lmctruck.com), MAC’s Antique Auto Parts (www.macsautoparts.com), and Sacramento Vintage Ford (www.vintage-ford.com).
Vacuum-to-Electric Upgrade Kits
Kits to upgrade from vacuum to electric wipers are also available. The prices for these kits vary from about $150 to about $350 or so, depending upon whether you need just an electric motor or a whole motor and linkage set up. If your linkage is worn out or your truck only came with a driver’s side wiper (or you just like to spend money for fun), you can go to a whole new kit including a heavy duty motor, new linkage, mounting hardware, etc.
Sacramento Vintage Ford sells such a kit for the 1948-1952 trucks for about $285. The picture in their catalog looks pretty good. They also sell a “universal” kit, but do not indicate what years it fits. Presumably, “universal” means it will fit 1948 through 1960 trucks. Based strictly on looking at the photo, it doesn’t look as robust or of as high a quality as their 1948-1952 specific kit. While I have no firsthand experience with either kit, it has been my experience that when something is advertised as “universal”, that means it fits everything equally poorly.
Another alternative is Newport Wipers (www.newportwipers.com). They make electric kits for 1948 through 1955 trucks. More than one member of the 1948-1960 FTE Forum has used their wipers and mentioned that they are top quality. Like anything in life, you get what you pay for, and these kits ain’t cheap.

Newport Part Numbers
Year(s) Part Number Description
1948-1950 NE4850FT Motor, switch, and wiring harness
1951-1952 NE5152FT Motor, switch, and wiring harness
1951-1952 NE5152FTE Motor, switch, wiring harness, linkage
1953-1955 NE5355FT Motor, switch, and wiring harness
1948-1960 14200 Intermittent switch

The cheapest aftermarket electric motor for the early trucks seems to be one available from Speedway Motors. One of our forum members said it was a good fit and easy to install.
Adapting Wipers from Other Vehicles
Probably the most frugal method of upgrading your wipers is to do your shopping at the local wrecking yard. Listed below are some options for the various year trucks.
1948-1952 Trucks
Some people have modified the motors and/or kits for 1951-1952 trucks to fit the 1948-1950 models. While it is doable, expect to have some trouble fitting the linkage around the dash support braces and the defrost duct. You will have a lot of trouble trying to fit an electric motor in a 1948-1950 if you are running a factory radio in the dash (in the 1951-1952, the radio sits lower in the dash and avoids this problem).
Electric motors from 1960s and 1970s Triumph Spitfires, Jags and various other British cars have also been adapted for use in the 1948-1952 truck series. I personally have never been a fan of anything electrical with British origins. They didn’t call Lucas the Prince of Darkness for nothing!
1953-1955 Trucks
Jeep Cherokees from the late 1980s through early 1990s (the ones with the square lines) are an easy fit to the 1953-1955 trucks. Simply enlarge the holes on the stock Ford bracket to accept the Jeep motor. Check out these pictures from our forum member Cowman’s (Chuck Cowman) gallery of this motor adapted to his stock linkage.

Jeep Cherokee Wiper Motor Adapted to Stock Linkage
(Photos Courtesy Chuck Cowman)

A 1974 Volkswagen wiper motor is also an easy fit. Again, the holes on the VW motor line up well with the Ford bracket, they just need a little enlargement. Some work on the shaft arm to fit the Ford linkage ( a couple of hours) and you’re good to go.
A 1989 Dodge Ramcharger has also been made to work. One mounting hole had to be redrilled to mate the motor to the stock mounting bracket. This may be the same motor as is found on the Chrysler minivans from the 1980s and 1990s. Wiper motors from 1990 on Dodge minivans can be adapted without a lot of work, as can the 1995 Ford Windstar.
1974 & 1975 F100 wiper motors have been made to work as well. These have been used with the intermittent switch from a 1980-1987 F-150 by several forum members.
1956-1960
In 1956, the wiper motor was moved to the firewall. If you decide to move it under the dash, you’ll be cleaning up the look of your firewall as well. One would think that adapting a motor and the linkage that fits under the dash on a 1955 to a 1956 under the dash installation would be easy. Unfortunately, on the 1953-1955 the wipers rotate in the same direction and the pivot points are offset on the cowl. On the 1956, they rotate opposite one another and the pivot points are equidistance off the center of the cowl. The 1953-1955 to 1956 transplant can be done though - one of our forum members is adapting the 1955 linkage to his 1956.
Check out the gallery for forum member krautwolf (Michael Wolfe). He has a pictorial “how to” showing his adaptation of a 1979-1983 Ford Ranger wiper motor using an F-150 switch. The pictures are numerous and clear and the commentary is important and useful as well. Here are some selected images from his gallery.

Ford Ranger Wiper Motor Installation – Selected Photos.
See Gallery for additional photos.
(Photos Courtesy Michael Wolfe)

Most of our forum members with 1956 through 1960 trucks seem to be using either the factory 12 volt motors or the replacement motors previously mentioned.
Intermittent Wipers
A final note on wipers has to do with intermittent wiper controls. We all want our new electric windshield wipers to be intermittent just like our wife’s or girlfriend’s car. There are several ways to achieve this result.
There is a brief article already in the FTE Tech Article section written by Thomas Hogan (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...rd_pickup.html). It specifically covers intermittent wiper controls on a 1973-1979 F-series, but the principle is the same on our earlier trucks. Basically, you need the switch and the control box. The parts were available as an option on the 1973 to 1979 F-series, so you can get them at your local parts house or your favorite wrecking yard.
There is another tech article entitled “Installing an intermittent two speed push/wash windshield wiper system on a 1961-1966 Ford pickup” by Wm Dahn (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...rd_Pickup.html). Mr. Dahn was after a stealth installation – i.e. it appears stock, so a lot of his article is devoted to adapting the **** to the later model switch. His donor for the switch, etc. was 1984 through 1990 Ford pickup.
Intermittent switches are easily obtainable at parts houses or wrecking yards – just make sure to get any related relays and controls. The fun part begins with wiring them up to your motor. There is an old thread on the 1948-1960 Forum that discusses this issue at some length (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53856). In this thread, one of our members (BlueOvalRage) was trying to help another member (fatfenders) get his wipers wired correctly. It’s a lengthy, thorough thread that should provide you with some useful information on the wiring involved in adapting another motor. See krautwolf’s pictures above and in his gallery for the right parts.

If the photos didn't post properly, hit their galleries or send me an email the_fergusons @ sympatico.ca and I'll send the article directly to you. I plan to copy Cowman's Cherokee adaptation. Look's like the cleanest to me.

Later,

Old 05-16-2006, 07:29 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Or you could use this "universal" kit from the Hoffman Group.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com:16080...o?itemid=WIPER

This will take up the least amount of room under your dash and you can remote mount the motor in a kick panel. Basically its a pair of small gear boxes that mount under the dash connected to the motor by a flexible screw drive. They use this type of system in small import cars. If you want to search the junk yards and save the $350 you can go recycled parts way. Oh yes, they use it in "American-made" cars by the Big (?) Three also. I'm planning on using this type of system in my '48. I'll need the space for the air-conditioning fan coil unit, radio, glove box, instruments, windshield defroster, etc.

Phil

Old 05-16-2006, 08:23 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going to do the mid 70's F100 and variable speed switch route in my 55.. have the switch and the motor is on the way.

Sam

Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZAV8
Or you could use this "universal" kit from the Hoffman Group.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com:16080/Autoloc/detail_description.lasso?itemid=WIPER

This will take up the least amount of room under your dash and you can remote mount the motor in a kick panel. Basically its a pair of small gear boxes that mount under the dash connected to the motor by a flexible screw drive. They use this type of system in small import cars. If you want to search the junk yards and save the $350 you can go recycled parts way. Oh yes, they use it in "American-made" cars by the Big (?) Three also. I'm planning on using this type of system in my '48. I'll need the space for the air-conditioning fan coil unit, radio, glove box, instruments, windshield defroster, etc.

Phil
I used a similar kit from "specialty wipers" sold by No limit for $299. Includes 2 speed intermittent switch and harness. Fairly straight forward installation.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Ferguson,

Many, many thanks. I like having alternatives. I think I'll sit down with the artical and do some studying. I don't always look for the easiest route. I like to fab things myself just for the learning process. You are a wealth of information!
Bike

Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Bikewrench,

Thanks but, no I'm not really a wealth of info. The FAQ article was based upon careful study of all previous threads in this forum at the time - so essentially the collective wisdom of the group as a whole.....

Anyway, the FAQ and all the other responses to this particular thread should certainly help you out.....

Old 05-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Ferguson,

You found the information that I couldn't. So, from that perspective, you've helped me greatly. Thanks , again.
Bike

Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I'm going to do the mid 70's F100 and variable speed switch route in my 55.. have the switch and the motor is on the way.

Sam
I have my adaptation done, I have one thing to check and that is linkage travel..

For anyone with a 55, how far do the wipers travel from park? 90 degrees? or more? I never saw my truck wipers move..

Sam

Old 12-30-2006, 09:12 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have exact numbers but I think the travel is more like 105 degrees

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor