1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Applogies for not being active lately

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:26 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applogies for not being active lately

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in for a minute to applogize for not being on the board much the past few months. The past few months, and more so the past week family health issues have been have been keeping me away from the computer (and the garage).

A week before Christmas my fiance found out that she had a birth defect called an Arnold Chiari Type I malformation. Basically its where the hole in the base of her skull isn't formed just right and it allowed her brainstem to drop down a few mm's into her spinal column. This puts pressure on the base of the brain as well as blocks/restricts the flow of spinal fluid. This lead to her having severe headaches, minor loss of hearing, loss of short term memory, and a bunch of other symptoms. Thankfully its not anything life threatening, but it can be progressive... But it is fixable.

Last monday (the 8th) she went in to have this corrected. Basically they went in and enlarged the rear portion of the hole in the base of her skull, removed a portion of her top vertebra, and then placed a patch of membrane over the now larger hole. Everything went well for the surgery, although her first week of recovery was rough (5 days in a neuro ICU unit). Thankfully we were able to bring her home last night (sunday the 14th).

This is a start of new beginnings for the 2 of us, both of us graduating college, her getting healthy again, and then married this fall. Thankfully I've found a good girl who doesn't mind my hobby too much (she even went on a parts run with me this past fall.. and let me put rusty/greasy parts in HER car)

Don't worry though, the extended cab project will be getting done eventually, but its had to take a back burner for a bit. I'll do what I can to pop in and chime in evry so often.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:04 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hi Jon,
Good to hear from you again, but no apologies are needed. Glad to hear things are working out well for the two of you. She definitely sounds like a keeper!

First things first - the truck will never know you've been preoccupied. Congrats on graduating also.........that alone is enough to keep a guy busy. All the best!
Tim

Old 05-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No apology necessary, I have been wondering what had happened to you lately.

I am glad to hear your fiance is doing well and hope she continues to improve. I know how it is when your little projects have to take a back seat to things that really matter...Good Luck.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:21 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iron,

Glad to hear she's on the mend. (Hope you have some sort of health insurance. I hear things like that can cost a fortune down there).

Looking forward to updates on your truck, but all things in good time..

Later,

Old 05-15-2006, 03:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Jon,

Good to hear Annie is doing OK. Here's wishing that she has a full, quick recovery.

I can attest to her patience with Jon's "sickness". She came all the way across Lake Michigan with Jon after a big snow here in SE Wisconsin to get a few parts off of a chassis I have sitting in the back of the farm. I don't think are many girls out there that would have gone along with that idea. If took some time to get my wife to accept I have the "sickness" and I refuse to seek a cure for it. She has finally given up and accepts I am going to go to the corners of the the earth in search of truck "Junk". Well, maybe not the corners of the earth but up to 200, 300 miles.

When you find a good life partner like ours, and mine, you got to take care of them.

Be well,

Bob

Old 05-15-2006, 04:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear that your fiancee is doing better. I really enjoy seeing your extended cab progress photos.

It's interesting that my wife, Jennifer, has accepted my "sickness" as well. I've learned not to say "no" whenever she wants to buy something for the house or for her yard. Afterall, making the house beautiful and pleasing to the eye is her hobby.

Ilya

Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jon
We have missed you but now that we know the situation we all understand.

Your roll in life now is taking care of yourself and your Lady. I put you ahead of her for the simple reason that if you don't take care of yourself you can't help her.

The folks here are part of your support network. I know if I would get a PM or an E-mail from you wanting to vent some of the pressure it would be just fine, I can understand and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Keep us updated as you can and we'll keep you in our Prayers.

Dick.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Jon,
As its been said, no apologies necessary. It sounds like your life has been pretty hectic lately. I'm glad to hear the the little woman is on the mend! It sounds kind of scary but at least they were able to make a diagnosis and were able to succesfully make a correction.

Its going to be a busy, and fun, year for you what with the impending graduations and marriage.

We wish you all the best!! Any time you need to vent a bit feel free to twist my ear.

Bobby

Old 05-15-2006, 06:02 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Thanks for the support guys, but I wouldn't expect anything less from all of you.

Thankfully Annie (my fiance), being a college student was able to still be covered under her folks insurance. Her surgery was an elective procedure (although the symptoms get progressively worse over time and can be dibilitating).

We planned the surgery so it would fall after she graduated, but still leave her time to recover prior to the wedding so that she could still be covered under her folks insurance for recovery. This is very important since I don't know what my employment/insurance status will be. Plus the sooner she had this procedure (called decompression) the greater likelihood she had to make a full recovery.

I know certain I have found a good girl and I plan on doing all I can to hold onto her. She's told me that as long as I eventually get her a horse and an old jeep, I'll be able to keep dragging home the occasional old truck project.

Thanks again guys for the support, I'll do what I can to keep you updated on future wife, life, and of course truck as well as not being a stranger on the board.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Jon

We understand there are things more important than these truck....not many but a few and you have a good reason. Thinking about you and the little lady during this time.

Bill