burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM
lardon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question burning oil

have a 1984 2.3 ranger whin i rebuild it redid the pistons with new rings new pistons new bearings [the works ] had head redone but it still use oil can anyone tell me what might be going on put new pvc value on it .it has a two barrell carb no vaccum lecks that i can hear please help im woundering if the head might be bad .but i had it rebuilted. thanks

Old 04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have on FTE. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!

Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you have the engine bored out and installed oversize pistons, or just put new pistons in the original bores? How were the cylinders honed? And what kind of rings were used, moly or cast? Moly rings in original bores often won't seat properly, and a different honing procedure is required for them is the reason I ask.

Also, it's fairly normal for new rings to take a little while to seat properly. How many miles since the rebuild?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 AM
lardon
New User
i used cast rings. miles about 100 miles . houned out only was already 30 over sized .with 3 thousands wear. thank you for the information

Old 04-23-2006, 10:55 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd give it 500 or so, they should be seating by then. If not, then there are possibly other issues to look into.

Is it using a lot of oil? Smoking?

Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 AM
lardon
New User
burning oil

yes smoking wet oil in tiel pipe

Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Old Rob
Junior User
What did you use when assembling the pistons / rings in the bores. Did you cycle the engine when you first fired it. Rings take seat during pulling cycles,

Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
lardon
New User
im sorry i dont know the term cycle the engine how do you do that thanks

Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
He's talking about putting it in 4th gear, at about 30-40, flooring the gas pedal 'til you get to about 60-65, and then letting it coast down in gear until you are back at 30-40. THis will push the rings hard (flooring) against the cylinder walls, yet keep the RPMs within reasonable (high gear) range. Rinse and repeat about 10 times.
I'd be checking that the work on the cylinder head included installing valve guide seals. If they were forgotten, or the valves really loose in the guide, you'd get blue smoke almost all the time. Is it possible the valve stems were oversized and someone installed standard size? Unless I do it myself, ya know.
When you installed the pistons, did they slide into the cylinders with some resistance? What is some? Well, I have had to use the handle end of a hammer to push them down to engage the connecting rod with the crankshaft. It wasn't just the palm of my hand. Are you sure you got oversized rings? Does the thing have enough power to get out of its own way, or is it really slow? Incorrect rings would alllow so much blowby, and would probably have so little compression ... probably hard to imagine it would run.
tom

Old 05-21-2006, 08:57 AM
lardon
New User
burning oil

yes thanks you for your reply the engine has a lot of power.will try what you or telling me about puting drag on engine .had head rebuilted.but this is the second block that i have used both rebuilbs smokes both had power i am beginning to think it is something to do with the head. i think i wil change the head out with another to see if that might stop it smoking thank you so much for your help. lardon