1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
mech63b
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Help

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger with the 2.5L engine. I went to autozone today to have the codes pulled because my check engine light came on. The code pulled read "Torque Converter electronic sensor" Now my question is what could be the possible problems and where should I start trouble shooting? I went to a Ford dealer today to ask them but as usual they were not much help because I didn't want to let them work on it. One of the techs did say however that the code could mean number of things to include internal fluid leakage or a valve train problem. Any help you all could give would be greatly apperciated and thanks in advance guys. I am a heavy truck diseal mechanic so this stuff is just a little out of my element if you know what I mean.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What was the code #? Is it P0500?

Look up OBD-II Trouble Codes Here

Old 05-15-2006, 03:59 PM
mech63b
Junior User
it didn't give a code number just the "Torque Convert electronic sensor" showed up on the display screen. Maybe this will help too. What the truck is doing is when I first start it up it will die when I come to a stop but after it reaches normal operating temperature it runs just fine like there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by mech63b; 05-15-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's interesting that you noted stall problems when coming to a stop. The torque convertor in your auto tranny plays a significant role in preventing stalling. In fact, DTC P0500 has this accompanying note:

If the engine rpm is above the torque converter stall speed (automatic transmission) and engine load is high, it can be inferred that the vehicle must be moving. If there insufficient vehicle speed data input, a malfunction is indicated and a DTC is set.
On your '98, the vehicle speed sensor is located on top the rear differential. This is also the sensor implicated by the P0500 code. In addition, this same sensor has a tendency to fail in other ways, causing shifting concerns and ABS lights to come on. So it's not really that much of a reach to think that maybe it could have failed and is causing the "Torque Convert electronic sensor" code you are getting. Since it's a fairly cheap part and easy to replace (one bolt), it might be worth changing it out.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:09 PM
mech63b
Junior User
Thanks Rockledge for all your help. I will replace the VSS tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.