Idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 AM
StefO33
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Idle Problems

I took my truck to the dealership to have them run a diagnostic test on it. They told me there was a problem with the idle air control valve wiring. I tried replacing the idle air control valve but the problem stayed the same. A friend of mine suggested adjusting the idle speed using the adjustment screw. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

The truck runs fine other than the idle problem. When you first crank it, its hard to keep started and when you stop at lights the RPM's die way down. Sometimes it cuts off when i take my foot off the gas, but once its warmed up it tends to stay started. It just bounces from 400 to 600 RPM and the air conditioner quits blowing cold air. The air runs fine as long as the truck is moving.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi, i think you will find there is no idle adjustment screw, it is computor controled.

if you turn the ac off do the refs rise on tick-over also when turning the steering do the revs fall.
in my experiance you will find that there is a vacuum leak.
in particular check the rubber elbow under the manifold and if it has perished replace it.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 AM
StefO33
New User
I dont think the steering effects the RPM's. I honestly cant remember right now. The ac does though. I did notice that it doesnt fluctuate as much when you turn the air off. I'll check the elbow. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi, to explane the steering has the effect by putting a load on the engine when the steering is on max turn therefore on tickover if there is a problem it loads the engine enough to stall. (power steering is pumping hard).

Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you reset the computer after installing the new IAC valve?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:25 AM
StefO33
New User
No. I replaced it in the parking lot of auto zone. The problem didn't change so I took the part back. Is resetting the computer something I can do without some special equipment?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by StefO33
No. I replaced it in the parking lot of auto zone. The problem didn't change so I took the part back. Is resetting the computer something I can do without some special equipment?
Anytime you add a new electrical part you should reset the computer.Remove the negative battery cable and turn the headlights to the on position.Let it sit like this for 10-15 minutes,reconnect the cable,turn the lights off,and let it idle for a few minutes.