6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is that 3 inch diameter hose above my intake snorkel for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:50 PM
chixdigit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is that 3 inch diameter hose above my intake snorkel for?

On my stock airbox, there is a large plastic snorkel at the front of it, and then there is a smaller, black rubber hose right above that. The hose is about 3 inches in diameter. Couple questions about that hose:
1) What is that hose for?
2) Mine appears to route right behind the driver's side headlight. The opening is almost against the driver's side of the engine compartment. It is NOT near any openings for fresh, cool air. I recently did the zoodad mod for the bigger plastic snorkel at the front of the airbox, but this hose's opening is no where near that. Should I route that hose (it's pretty stiff) toward the zoodad opening, or cut another hole for this hose too?
What the heck is this hose for and has anyone done any mods to get more, cooler air to the opening of it also?

Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chixdigit
On my stock airbox, there is a large plastic snorkel at the front of it, and then there is a smaller, black rubber hose right above that. The hose is about 3 inches in diameter. Couple questions about that hose:
1) What is that hose for?
2) Mine appears to route right behind the driver's side headlight. The opening is almost against the driver's side of the engine compartment. It is NOT near any openings for fresh, cool air. I recently did the zoodad mod for the bigger plastic snorkel at the front of the airbox, but this hose's opening is no where near that. Should I route that hose (it's pretty stiff) toward the zoodad opening, or cut another hole for this hose too?
What the heck is this hose for and has anyone done any mods to get more, cooler air to the opening of it also?
The stock airbox has to intakes for the air (you are correct). Guess the ingineers figured that having two of them and a "back-up" is/was a good idea if one got clogged? Guess they are less concerned about "high-rate" airflow and just having adequate? The way the stock set-up is is to prevent water from being sucked or drawn in... hence the reason for the blue synthetic media/filter of the airfilter. There are aftermarket filters that have "white media" and are cellulose based... but not the synthetic "blue media" of the stock system.

Guess it would not hurt anything to allow more air to go in the intake.... but unless the airfilter flows more (higher rate)... it will not do any good.

Has anyone tested on a stock airfilter (or even an old) if they can get more air flow through it by doing the zoodad mod? Seems that the filter is so thick and loaded with filter media that the zoodad mod alone would not really flow any more air flow out the backside of the airfilter (hense the reason I have not yet done)?

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Jeff

Old 05-14-2006, 11:45 AM
chixdigit
Senior User
Hey Jeff, I really did notice a slight difference when I did my zoodad mod. What I noticed was quicker turbo spool up and throttle responsiveness at HIGHWAY speeds. I just made sense to me to do it, since #1, it is free, and #2, the radiator support is right in front of the intake, so this just seemed to open that up to let the intake get more cooler air from outside the engine compartment.

Thanks for your input. Anyone else have any input as to what they have done with that extra intake hose to let it get more fresh air from outside the engine compartment?

Old 05-14-2006, 06:35 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
For a simple yet quite effective mod for more air flow click the link below.

http://webpages.charter.net/fordtruc...ddedIntake.jpg

Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Encrypted
New User
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
For a simple yet quite effective mod for more air flow click the link below.
That will add a lot of engine heat, right?

Last edited by Encrypted; 05-14-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:21 AM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
The zoodad mod probably wouldn't flow more air with a stock air filter but no doubt the air it does flow will be cooler air.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:42 AM
mettech
Senior User
The question remains: What is that small intakes tube for? Mine had clear tape over the intake hole in the frame.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:06 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
ENCRYPTED: Maybe at a stop light, but using the ZOODAD and driving at any speed I'm getting cooler air and more of it when I get on the pedal.

I bought a second tube and cut it down as you see in the pic. I have my stock intake tube and I plan on getting a data logger to show the air intake temps between the stock and modded intake.

Besides why spend $400 for an intake when I can get the same thing for less than $25.

METTECH: I'm betting on it's a second air tube just much smaller; it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 05-15-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
I just looked at the area and the intake housing. This smaller tube is to allow airflow even if the filter is clogged. If you remove the front intake housing section you will notice two things: your filter media has a weird area that looks kinda crushed or pushed in kinda, and the area where the tube is connected on the inside is sectioned off from the main collection area. Looking at the area of the front of the truck where the tube leads to shows a very small area that gets little direct outside air yet it has fresh air to collect.

This tells me that the air flow through this smaller tube is incase the main filter area gets clogged you will still have (some what) clean air flow to the engine.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 PM
post-man
Junior User
I also did the Zoodad mod on my 04 X with some noticeable improvements ... I am interested in the smaller tube answer if there is one ... my stock one is still pointing off to the battery .. do I remove it or replace it with a straight pipe oriented towards the Zoodad hole ...

More importantly though, is there any real benefit to an aftermarket cold air intake for the 6.0L PSD after you do the Zoodad mod ... seems like you have all kinds of access to cold air once that hole is cut ...

Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are quite a few members here that'll attest that the stock intake system is pretty well designed. For the normal mods (chip/tuner, exhaust), there is a general consensus that it is more than up to the job. If you go seeking big power (propane, NOS, turbo & injector upgrades, etc.), you will want to go to an aftermarket intake setup to match the rest of your extensive modification list.