Modular V10 (6.8l)  

A True V10 Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
birddog16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A True V10 Story

Me and my buddy was heading to western ND for a little hunting in Dec of 05, we both have 03 SD's I have the V10 he has the 6.0 at the time we left gas was the cheaper by a good marging so we took my truck. Just so happened the night before we left eastern indiana got about 6 inches of snow. we filled the truck up just before we got to the interstate and my buddy jumped in to drive well he hit the gas I am guessing it hit around 3 grand (no turbo lag on a v10) he manged not to hit anything but jackknifed the truck and trailer and cover a poor guy that was empting the trash at the gas station with slush. so far so good this is going to be a good trip. well I forgot to tell him to kick off the cruise if he got in the hills cause you know when she kicks down they always go to 2,500 - 3,000 Rpms real quick. well old blacky kicked down the back in slid out he regained control and looked over at me and said I don't like these V10's they just have too much power! and refused to drive it anymore. The rest of the trip went ok anywhere from 35-70 MPH on the interstate 12.5 mpg pulling a small encled trailer. the 35 MPH came on a section of I 94 the was totally ice covered and the wind was blowing so hard it had me changing lanes without wanting to. sure to be a trip I will not soon forget.
So if any of you are wonding just how a V10 stacks up that might answer your question.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
$65 for 29 gals of 87 RON Fuel
$35 in cold beer
$75 for new tires on the camper
$15 for the Red hunting cap

A PSD owning hunting Buddie that says "I don't like these V10's they just have too much power!"

Priceless!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 PM
birddog16
Senior User
Hope we didn't start something!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, I did almost something similar, my friend with a 7.3 drove mine and I drove his, he was peeling out saying Man as soon as you press the pedal it goes! They underestimated for sure.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Sounds like BSEG to me

Denny

Old 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
It's all about how many ft/lbs make it to the pavement. Since the running gear and most of the rest of the truck is the same, it comes down to motor.

The gas engine can rev higher, staying in a lower gear (more torque multiplication), and putting more ft/lbs to the ground.

Of course, it uses way more fuel. Duhhh.....

Also, the instant throttle response helps...

Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 PM
captchas
just the big bseg that counts. i have 2 smoker lovers in my family that are driving 06 v10's now and loving every min. of course they had 6.0's like me only had them on the weekends

Old 05-13-2006, 12:54 AM
psd4mike
Junior User
I am looking at bigger trailers. The salesman asks me what kind of truck do I have...I tell him a F250 with a V10. He gives me the, "Oh, you might be underpowered" and "Should have bought a diesel." I just laughed quietly to myself. Sure thing sales guy... Just be sure to stay out of the fast lane cause my 3v'er is hitting 5k and NOT SMOKING!

Old 05-13-2006, 09:29 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boy, now if this doesn't sound familiar I don't know what does!!! Not 3 nights ago I had my buddy helping me finish working on my camper (did the brakes, bearings, flooring, subfloor......it's been in my shop for well over a month!!!). Well, when we finished, we pulled it out of the shop and I took it out on the highway to test the cleaned and rebuilt trailor brakes, so after about 5 miles I turned around and he asked to try out the V10, wanted to see how well it does. Now for a little back ground I have an 03 F250 CC SB 4x4 V10 (as can be seen in my gallery and in my sig along with the camper) and he has an 03' F350 CC LB 4x4 6.0L Diesel (see what I mean about familiar, lol). He jumps in gets it up to about 60 and is in OD turnin along at 1700 rpms or so. I was kinda thinkin I should tell him to speed up to 70 since it pulls a LOT stronger when the Rs get over 2k. About the time I was gonna say something he look over and says "theres definitly no lack of power, at which point I smiled with a BSEG and then told him about gettin the Rs up and it pulls alot stronger which he replyed with a "does it shift out of OD in the hills" and I said "well, if you speed up it won't", lol. I think he was plesently impressed but I'd of like him to stomp on it just to see since he never broke 2600rpm even through the rolling hills. I think he needs to see it in the pinicle of power at about 3400-3700rpms pulling one of the 8% graded hills on the way to the lake, I think he with the way he thought it pulled at 1700rpms he would be pretty damn impressed at 3400. Theres nothin better than having a diesel guy drive our gassers and tell you that they have no lack of power or too much power!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 AM
captchas
ooooyaaaahhhh

Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The darn thing just flys - loaded or unloaded. The hard part is to keep the R's down to keep the mileage up!!

Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
parcours
Senior User
????

Originally Posted by krewat
It's all about how many ft/lbs make it to the pavement. Since the running gear and most of the rest of the truck is the same, it comes down to motor.

The gas engine can rev higher, staying in a lower gear (more torque multiplication), and putting more ft/lbs to the ground.

Of course, it uses way more fuel. Duhhh.....

Also, the instant throttle response helps...

Please explain how a V10, which has less torque, can apply more torque to the ground than a PSD?

The function of how long the truck stays in gear, while pulling a load is in the torque, not HP.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I can't explain it in complete detail, but if you multiply the PSD torque by the transmission, then by the differential you'll see they aren't much different in stock comparisons. The PSD is/was only available with 3.73 differential, the V10 with a 4.30 differential. Torque is multiplied by gearing, so the V10 has a 20% torque advantage through differential gearing. Say the engine makes peak torque at whatever RPM then multiply by the rest of the drivetrain and you'll see that the difference in torque at the ground is not near as much as most might think. Especially if the torque curve is in your usable area (RPM and speed you drive).

People talk about torque and horsepower as if more is better, and it is, but only if you see that RPM in your driving. I used to offroad a lot and my Jeeps gearing allowed me to see most of the torque almost right off idle (slight exaggeration). If you have to literally crawl over something, someone having twice the torque or horsepower doesn't really have anything if you have to be at 4000 RPM to see it. I would have more "usable" power.

Last edited by Ace!; 05-14-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
parcours
Senior User
I kind of understand where you are going. I have an F53 motorhome chassis with a V10 and 5:38 gearing. Does it struggle, yes, especially when towing a boat.

On the other hand, the same weight motorhome with a diesel option tows much better. I guess the difference comes down to the trans and the rear end.

So, then why all the mystic about diesel?

Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
captchas
hype! and people reading it.
many of us are old enough to remember haveing only gas motors to tow with in cars and pickups . the diesel was mainly in big rigs only. from there hype, came down to sales and people thinking the only motor out to properly tow with is diesel and forgot how well cubic inches did and still are .
properly gear a gas motor and it still does the same work with just a very few mpg's lost doing so.
i have a 05 v10 like a lot of our guys here and am still amazed at how much work it does and is fully capible of.in a super big motor home i personally can see a small strugle esp.if the motor is a 2 valve ver. as it also comes down to the old h.p. to pounds problem.

Last edited by captchas; 05-15-2006 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply: A True V10 Story