1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

98' F150 4.6 bog and non starting issue..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Merculous
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' F150 4.6 bog and non starting issue..

I have a 98' F150 4x4, 4.6L auto. 280,000km's

When I step on the gas from a dead stop or when I'm at city cruising speed and step into the gas the truck has a surging bog. The truck will rev up and down from around 1500-2000 and hold a constant speed. It goes vroom, vroom ,vroom, vroom, vroom,vroom and wont accelerate at all. The only way to get the bog to quit is to floor it. The truck will shift down, rev up, and finally accelerate. It does this on and off and some days it does it all day long, cold or hot.

I have also had some starting issues, sometimes I go to start the truck and it just cranks and cranks and cranks and wont start. (This is the weird part) If I get someone to crank it over and I pull a plug wire off the passenger side coil pack, the truck will fire up. (I found this out one day when I was checking for spark) Also, when you turn the key to start the truck, the selenoid clicks 2 or 3 times evertime before it will start cranking. (I have to turn the key on and off and on and off to finally get it to crank)

Thanks in advance...Jim

Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I know it may sound off the wall, but have your alternator checked for correct output. If the wrong voltage is getting to the puter, it can cause all sorts of problems because none of the sensors are being read correctly.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
jermdawg
New User
I heard that they can misfire

Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
jermdawg...that is only one problem it can cause. My buddies Durango sounded like it was going to explode one second, then almost die the next. Damn near possessed!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Merculous
Junior User
I have also had some starting issues, sometimes I go to start the truck and it just cranks and cranks and cranks and wont start. (This is the weird part) If I get someone to crank it over and I pull a plug wire off the passenger side coil pack, the truck will fire up. (I found this out one day when I was checking for spark) Also, when you turn the key to start the truck, the selenoid clicks 2 or 3 times evertime before it will start cranking. (I have to turn the key on and off and on and off to finally get it to crank)

Thanks in advance...Jim
MY RANDOM NON STARTING ISSUES.

Sometimes out of the blue the truck will just crank and crank but woundn't fire up, this has been a pain in the *** and no shop could seem to figure it out. While removing the tranny this weekend I found the huge ground strap was not hooked up and was tucked up on top of the frame rail. The one that goes from the negative on the battery to the frame rail and then jumps over to the bellhousing. So I'm thinking this might be the problem? Hopefully?