88 tbird 3.8 bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 AM
pancake
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 tbird 3.8 bad head gasket

ok just got it today... 88 tbird with the 3.8 auto...76k original miles...pennsylvania car which it is in darn good shape in my book...n e way it needs a winshield which i can handle...no big deal...

but my question is how much of a job is it and do i need any specail tools to change both head gaskets on this 3.8l engine... never done any kind of top end tear down and reassemble work before...i can grasp the concept of unbolting things ...wiring things up... and the other common sense things i just want to have a heads up for what i am getting into here ...

Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Talking

I know the 3.8's have had head gasket problems, but maybe you'll luck-out like I did. About six years ago my '88 Sable 3.8 popped what I thought was a head gasket. Fired it up one morning and it looked like the mosquito-spraying truck with the white cloud of steam that was coming from the tail pipe. That evening my son and I started to pull the engine apart, assuming that it had the famous 3.8ltr head gasket problem. I knew I was going to have to buy a set of one-time-use head bolts, and have never used those before in any of the engines I'd rebuilt...but I was ready to learn.

After removing all the hoses and junk from the top of the engine, I carefully pulled the intake off...the gaskets stayed in place. I was ready to attack the heads, when my son said, "Wait a minute Dad...check this out." (The kid is very observent) The intake gasket had failed between the water jacket and the intake port. It was obvious once you knew it was there. I probably would have overlooked this and would have pulled the heads if he hadn't caught it. I put new intake gaskets on, and the problem was solved. I wonder how many guys have replaced head gaskets, when it really was the intake gaskets that were bad?

So...my advice to you is to be very careful when you tear the engine down. You might luck-out like I did.

MR

Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM
pancake
Elder User
bump... still wondering bout this im not sure what moving parts that i can potentially screw up having never done this before when pulling a head off

Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Probably the best thing to do is to have somebody who's done it, there with you when you try it. Even if he's only done SBC's. There's a lot of small 'tricks' involved in doing an engine properly, that even a shop manual won't tell you. I'm not trying to scare you off, rather make life a little easier for you.

MR

Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
consider a port and polish while yer there. The 3.8 will benefit from it. Ditto on finding a more experienced helper.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Lightningjr
Junior User
Rebuilding the 3.8L is a farely simple process. the hardest part i found was removing one of the water pump bolts on the driver side by the power steering pump. Just use a universal and take your time. The only special tool i can remeber needing was the fuel line disconnects. When i did mine i was 17 and it was the most work i did to a motor at the time and i did it in a weekend. It was a 92 cougar. I bought the car for $100 and spent $300 replacing all the gaskets and a water pump. Just make sure the heads are not warped. My passenger side was and the compressions were 60, 90, and 30 pounds. I put the head on it and still didnt have any problem with it except a fouled plug from time to time and ****ty gas milage.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Before you tear it down, why not tell the reason? I haven't read any symptoms you have given nor have you noted the compression readings. You may not need to do the work.
But, if you take it apart, you should make sure that the valve components are put back in the same spot they came from. They wear into each other, and don't like to meet new friends, so to speak.
tom

Old 05-08-2006, 09:25 PM
pancake
Elder User
ok tom,......unfortunately or fortunately enough however you look at it ...i already tore into it ...as of now all i have left to the teardown is 3 exaust bolts and whatever bolts hold the heads down...

as far as symptoms i didnt check cyl compression as i shouldve ....i was just told by the prev owner theyre mechanic said it was a bad head gasket...due to a cloud of smoke that developed (in,on,or around the car ) at some time when the prev owner was driving it ...when i got it there was antifreeze in the oil... and i got a small cloud out the tailpipe when i fired it for a short time to see if she actually ran......i did some searching here and elsewhere online...and found that these 3.8l.s were known for the blowing head gaskets...

it would be nice if i would be able to tell which side gasket was bad.but i already have all the pulleys and brackets off the front of the motor just kinda chilling in the front of the engine compartment..... that way i dont have to pull both off... but i spose doing both sides wouldnt hurt...just more new parts to add to the list i always say ...1 less thing to worry bout later...

Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Lightningjr
Junior User
make sure to get the heads checked for warpage. when i replaced mine i drove it until it wouldnt run anymore. when i pulled the heads off cylinder 3 was completely full of water. The previous owner poured cold water into it while the water pump was going out and overheating. also your exhaust is now probably full of water so make sure u check that to before it rusts out. watch out for the converters to. one might boil the water in it, if any, and melt shut. that was an interesting day for me.