1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Interior Carpet: How do i do it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
create
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Carpet: How do i do it myself?

So, I want to do the carpet myself in my 55 F-100. I have the floorpans clean and painted and want to know the methods to mold the carpet correctly?

Basically I know where I can get the carpet, and its cheap as can be, i just want to know how i get it so it looks as best/tight as it possibly can.

Anyone here done it themselves?

Thanks!

ben

Old 05-09-2006, 07:05 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did my own carpet with no plans for under $25, which includes carpet and carpet keepers. I got two rolls of black automotive carpet from the local parts place and I went to Home Depot and got a long strip of aluminum edge guard for a carpet keeper and entry guard. I used a sewing machine with uphulstry thread and just kept laying the carpet in there and trimming here and there. It fits good, not real tight, but I'm happy with it. As far as the interior is concerned, I did everything except upholster the seats and make the headliner. I bought the vinyl headliner kit from mid-fifty and the seats from the junk yard. Other than that, I did the carpet, the back wall of the cab, door panels (nothing major there really), and made my own kick panels. I overlayed the back wall panel and kick panels with black vinyl upholstry for a boat. I have a pic. or two in my gallery, and I can get more if you want to see more of my carpet. Let me know.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:34 PM
create
Senior User
i would definately love to see more of your carpet. Im curious as to where i would have to do the trimming. I am just wondering if there is a huge amount of trim work/sewing involved because i will have to borrow a sewing machine for this.. And where do you get upholster thread?

Thanks for everything!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:04 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
No problem!

I actually got the thread at Walmart in their fabric department. I have also seen it in other stores and craft places, a fabric store would deffinately have it. You mostly just want a real heavy thread, and I think you will need a heavier needle for your sewing machine as well. I got lucky, as my mom volunteered to help me with this when I did it.

Most of the trimming was in the center and up the sides to contour the firewall. Like I said, mine isn't tight fitting, but it looks good to me.

I will be shoving my truck out Thursday or Friday and doing some stuff to it, so I will get some pictures then. I will let you know when I do.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:59 PM
create
Senior User
thanks man! i appreciate it!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is a good time to add some sound deadener/insulation (you'll be glad you did later on) Do that first to make sure you get a good fit on the carpet. Good luck

Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you want it to lay down tight, spray glue it down. Our floors are nearly flat. If you choose a carpet that doesn't fray you don't really need to sew it or you can use some of the anti-ravel glues or even Shoe Goo to seal the edges. Many loop type carpets will "run" if you try to drill a hole thru them so use a punch instead. Try a piece of thinwall tubing (conduit, copper water pipe etc.) hammered against the end grain of a 2x4 to punch larger holes. A piece of blackboard chalk is a good marking impliment since you can remove it after with a damp rag or sponge. A good cutting tool is one of the inexpensive "break off" blade knives sold to cut wallpaper. Extend the blade out ~ 3/4" to get thru the pile and cut the backing.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
You can buy seam sealer for carpet at Home Depot made to keep carpet from unraveling.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Heatless seam tape

You can get cold seam tape at Lowe's. I used it when I remodeled my motorhome last year and it worked great. You don't have to use a glue iron. Just peel back the backing and apply.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Ben, I went out and took some pictures, but the flash showed up too much dust The pictures aren't as clean as I wanted. So, I will clean it out and retake the pictures. It has been sitting in the garage since last fall, and now that winter is over and I finished up my semester last week I'm going to be working on it by weeks end or so. I will keep you posted. I do have a couple pics in my gallery, but I think you will want a few more.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sac Vintage Ford sells some SS edges to cover the edges in the doorway. I think they are $15/pr. They are clean looking and you don't have to worry about the carpet unraveling as you step in and out over the next 5 years. Good luck, Jag

Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
create
Senior User
sweet. Thanks for the help guys. and i cant wait to see your .

I am actually in Eureka CA and have been here for the past 4 days for my brothers graduation from HSU. The weather was awesome, and the redwoods and national parks kick butt up here

Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For anyone who might be interested, Custom Components Machining in Tucson has the most kick-*** (billet) carpet strips you have ever laid eyes on

Old 05-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Code3
Elder User
Ah, Humboldt State U! I think I remember having some good times up there! Anyway, I've heard of people spraying the inside of their cabs with Rhino Liner or something similar, then laying down sound deadener, then carpet. They say the liner helps with noise and rust. I'm not to that point yet with my truck, so I haven't tried it, but there's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Code3
Elder User
FatFenders, I Googled Custom Components Machining and got nothing. Do they have a website?

Quick Reply: Interior Carpet: How do i do it myself?