Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mo' Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mo' Whistle

Ok, so i think i'm going to go ahead and upgrade my IC to one out of a 6.0L. I talked to Garrett at www.blackclouddieselperformance.com to get the kit to convert my early 99. I just read about removing the insulation on the hot side intercooler pipe to make more whistle and was wondering if this was somthing I could do when installing the 6.0L IC. If so that would be really cool.
Thanks
Adam

Old 05-08-2006, 05:27 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by adambomb
Ok, so i think i'm going to go ahead and upgrade my IC to one out of a 6.0L. I talked to Garrett at www.blackclouddieselperformance.com to get the kit to convert my early 99. I just read about removing the insulation on the hot side intercooler pipe to make more whistle and was wondering if this was somthing I could do when installing the 6.0L IC. If so that would be really cool.
Thanks
Adam
Yes...it's a good time to do it. Pull the wrap off with your hands then apply some chemical paint stripper and wait about 1/2 hour.Wire brush off the glue goo.Prime tubes then paint the color of your choice. I use high gloss black.Looks really nice.
Nut

Old 05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your early 99 has the foil wrap on the hot side pipe? I thought that started on 99.5+ models...

If so, it'll definitely make a noticeable difference once it's off.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 PM
rickgmi
Senior User
just pulled mine off today...check out my pics, also tells how i did it...only took 1 1/3 hours

Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Sounds like you did yours the same as I did mine, Rick.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...86590301OtHfpL

Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 PM
rickgmi
Senior User
Kewl...I might have gotten the Idea somewhere..I read Alot..lol
It worked out good...did you use the same tools and cleaners I did, Mine did come out really shinny...might just do the passenger side so they look alike

Old 05-08-2006, 07:22 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Yep, same stuff: WD-40 and brake parts cleaner, just sprayed it on quite a bit a bunch of different times as I went. Used a wire wheel attachment on my drill, and some SOS pads, and some Simple Green at the end to sort of clean it up. Rinsed it all off with the hose real good. My hot side tube now matches the cold side (passenger side) nicely. I figure when I go to clean the whole engine with some Simple Green that any pipe discrepancies will even out some.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
Yep, same stuff: WD-40 and brake parts cleaner, just sprayed it on quite a bit a bunch of different times as I went. Used a wire wheel attachment on my drill, and some SOS pads, and some Simple Green a
That's quite a chemi-cocktail you got there. I used carb cleaner and a polishing stand with a wire wheel. Covered myself in glue boogers. I tried the blasting cabinet....lets just say the glue Ford uses needs to be applied in some military fashion cuz it didn't phaze it.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 PM
rickgmi
Senior User
now thats a shine

Mine came out really good, but i did work that brush real good over it, I like polishing stuff so maybe i have the touch...lol..the picture was taken with no Flash and the hood was blocking most of the sun from behind

Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
Covered myself in glue boogers.
Hahaha... good description. Using the wire wheel my arms and hands and the floor were covered with the same stuff.

I was also surprised at how tough that glue stuff was! Whoever put it on didn't did a hell of a job.... it sure didn't want to come off. Alas, in the end my will was too much for it, and along with the smell of victory came the sound of turbo whistle tasting freedom for the first time.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:45 PM
rickgmi
Senior User
time

Hey Ryan how long did it take you, it might just be who worked that day putting the stuff on,,mine really was'nt that bad, around an hour and 20 minutes and I had it in and out,,but I did keep a spray of WD on it in the areas I worked...

Old 05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Chemical paint stripper makes the job quick and easy. Just need good protective gloves.

Nut

Old 05-08-2006, 08:19 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Nut,

I tried that stuff too. No workie.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:07 PM
C M Budke
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickgmi
Mine came out really good, but i did work that brush real good over it, I like polishing stuff so maybe i have the touch...lol..the picture was taken with no Flash and the hood was blocking most of the sun from behind
My early 99 (8/98) doesn't have the wrap. But after seeing rickgmi's pic, I need to do some polishing. That looks awesome man! Guess I'll have to start wet sanding, then hit it with some tripoli and rouge. Sounds like another six-pack Sunday afternoon!

Old 05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rickgmi
Hey Ryan how long did it take you, it might just be who worked that day putting the stuff on,,mine really was'nt that bad, around an hour and 20 minutes and I had it in and out,,but I did keep a spray of WD on it in the areas I worked...
It really didn't take too long. Pulling off the foil using pliers took about 20-30 minutes. I should've scored the stuff first w/ a knife but I was stubborn. Grinding the glue stuff off took probably 45 minutes, stopping every few minutes to wet down the working area w/ my chemical concoctions. Cleaning it up at the end took another 15 or so, w/ the Simple Green, SOS pads, and garden hose.

Quick Reply: Mo' Whistle