Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Elder User

travlnman is starting off with a positive reputation.
NewB.....sort of.

Looks like I'll be joining the party guys, so go easy on us older guys.

I have made the jump from the 4.2 V6 forum after trading my f-150 on an '06 Ranger supercab with the 2.3L twin cam engine.

This move was motivated mainly by the price of gasoline.

So lets hear it guys, the good and the bad, mileage you name it.

Any other 2.3L twin cam's out there?? How do you like it??
Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Elder User

Alright, hold it down, not everybody at once.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Junior User

jamnjm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, with the now price of gas...you did it at the best time!

Only 2.3 Ford around here is one that we might be taking a Volvo 16V head onto a 2.3 Lima bottom end for a race car.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not many posts on the newer engine. Most are about the Lima-bean. Though they don't call it that... I haven't heard many complaints about the engine at all, everything has been positive. Great gas mileage, powerhouse compared to the lima, nothing to complain of.
My old Ranger is about due for replacement, but I can't justify it as it only has 60k on it and I only put on a little over 2k per year any more. Just replaced the original spare when I got 4 new tires. Had some 21 year old air in it. Needs paint, too. But it gets 25mpg with putting around on errands, and the occasional trip on the interstate. It was uncomfortable driving on a 400 mile trip, cramming my foot down by the gas pedal hurt after a while, but got close to 30mpg. I was impressed that this big block could do that going 65, while my old Pinto with the same engine, carbed and a 4-speed got 24mpg max with the 55mph speed limit. Just think what it would get now, with overdrive and a dohc engine. Everybody put it down, but it never let me down, and hauled all the shingles when I re-roofed. Kinda wished I hadn't sold it. Live and learn.
tom
Old 05-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Elder User

Tomw, keep it. I had a '99 Ranger with the 2.5 Lima engin, and I loved it. I put 137,000 miles on it in 3 yrs flat. I had no, zero problems, just routine maintenance. I like my twin cam so far, and I think I'll try the Ranger forum and see what they have to say. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Freshman User

out and about is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got a 2002 2.3 Duratech with 105,000 miles on it. Just regular maintenance like oil, plugs etc. When pulling a boat trailer or in hilly terrain it feels underpowered. But as a daily driver it's good.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Elder User

I like it so far,as I got 29 mpg on the first tank. Just gotta wind it up a little.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines