looking for a fuel pump for a 54' 239 v8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
CUZ'IN PHIL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a fuel pump for a 54' 239 v8?

I could use some help on finding a fuel pump to replace my Airtex 4070 unit. I thought I had a 272 that's in my 56' F100, bought a pump for a 56 and it isn't even close. A number search indicates a 239 V8 with a glass filter on top. When truck sat over winter the bowl is now empty, I can't believe that evaporation is that much. Pump arm rides on top of lobe not underneath as 56'. Carpenters or concourse doesn't seem to list the correct type. Anyone got have a quality place in which to get one? Thanks in advance, Cuz'in Phil

Old 05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
You can buy a repro fuel pump at NAPA or probably some other auto parts store. It won't have the glass bow, though. I had the same problem with my '54 239. It would start hard after sitting for about a week. I thought it was a leaky carb bowl. One day the truck would not start. I figured out it was my fuel pump. bought on at NAPA. Later on ebay I did buy an NOS fuel pump with the glass bowl which is sitting on my workbench.

So buy one at ebay if you need it now. Or wait and find one on ebay.

abe

Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 PM
CUZ'IN PHIL
New User
54' F100 fuel pump

Abe, Thanks for responding. I went on line for NAPA and I noticed that it didn't have a filter on the pump (style like sm blk chevy). I would like to have that filter on it as the one I have now but the main thing was that the pump arm had to ride on top of the cam lobe. Is that the type that you have? Top lobe actuator. I didn't grab the p/n for the pump to match the one you have. Your thoughts? CUZ'IN PHIL

Old 05-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
I don't know whether or not it's been redesigned w/out the bowl, but the Airtex 4070 is still available through Rock Auto https://www.rockauto.com . I've ordered quite a bit from them & been very happy. I notice that now they are a FTE sponsor, so maybe you can get a deal. The linked picture doesn't show a bowl, but it may be a generic pic, pretty common nowadays.

If the pumps can be disassembled, you may be able to use the old glass bowl & top housing on the new pump. (The linked pic looks as if it can be taken apart...)

You could also try Kanter Auto or Egge Machine- both of them specialize in hard-to-find parts for older vehicles & have lots of NOS stuff. I don't know the websites offhand. If you can't Google them, lemme know & I'll scrounge up their phone numbers.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:36 AM
e william
Elder User
Hey Cuz'n Phil...
I dont know if you will get this in time but I ran across it this a.m.
4636306411 ebay sale for your fuel pump (with glass)
has about 10 hrs left as of 9:30 a.m. eastern time...
Good Luck, Ed

Old 05-07-2006, 05:04 PM
CUZ'IN PHIL
New User
Fuel pump issue!

Gentlemen, Thanks again for the responses, there are decent people still out there. Just by luck today there was a swap meet in Ct. and in the 2nd to last row was a fellow that sold rebuilt pumps had the very same one I had.
So on a leap of faith I bought said pump (4070) and installed it as soon as I got back. I may have to go to church more than once a week now. It was a good day! Fan shroud issue also done now all I have to decide if I want to sell the hard to get true 56' v8 shroud of keep it. I will look because I need to now about the Ebay pump, things seem to be done a bit differently in those days. A true thanks again. Cuz'in Phil

Old 05-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
Glad it worked out!

Yeah, there are decent people out there. Problem is, there's fewer "car guys" than ever nowadays...& the kids I know that are into cars, aren't really, just in to rear spoilers, neon lights, & fart can exhausts. Not to mention fake nitrous oxide systems. I feel like a dinosaur.