4.2L, interchangability

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:02 PM
gtguns
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L, interchangability

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I used up my # of allowed search attempts before finding the answer.

I have a '97 F150 4x2, 4.2L V6, with 110K+ miles. I had the engine rebuit ~2.5 years ago after the intake gasket went. Last week, after <20k miles the head gasket went (only 1 year warranty). I was planning on keeping my truck for another 6-12 months when this happened. In a few months I'll retire from my career as a professional student and start a new (much better paying) one with the naval research lab. I was hoping my truck would hold out for a little while longer, but then again, what interesting would life be without a few complications.

I'm weighing the options of getting a new headgasket or a used engine. I know that '97 and '98 year engines directly interchange, but they are pricey and hard to come by here in Maine.

So my question are:
Can I swap in an engine from '99-'03 years?
What will I need to strip from the old engine?
If this has been answered before, what is the link to the post?

Thanks in advance for any help.

TK

Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assuming the 99-03 engine is different than a 97 im gonna say u will need the engine (duh!! lol) wiring harness(maybe? dont quote me) and pc.... probably the fuel pump... maybe (but i doubt it) engine mounts, exhaust headers/manifolds, dash..... best i can think of?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:00 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could tell you for certain, but I don't know the answer. I do believe the newer engines will fit and work just fine in your truck, but don't know exactly what all must be transfered.

I can imagine there would probably be one or two things just different enough to cause headaches, but some of that is to be expected I guess.

Did the recent gasket failure cause engine damage?
If not, I would have the problem repaired again. The redesigned gasekts, or Felpro gaskets, are better than the stock gaskets and should last you a good long time. That is assuming there is no damage/warping involving the block, intake and/or head mouting surfaces.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
Thanks!