Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Elder User

sneak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stupid question.

I'm looking at putting together a processor with a reaction tank of say, 100-200 gallons, and two wash tanks. I feel stupid for asking this question with the research I've done, but I overheard someone ask if ethanol could be used instead of methanol... The main reason I ask this is because with another simple project(a still) I could make alcohol with roughly 85% ethyl alcohol, and 10% methyl alcohol.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
This should be moved to the gas section. You'll get help there. You are in the diesel section at the present time. ( at least the ethinol question)
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are you talking about making Bio Diesel?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Elder User

Yes, sorry, I got ahead of my self.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneak
I'm looking at putting together a processor with a reaction tank of say, 100-200 gallons, and two wash tanks. I feel stupid for asking this question with the research I've done, but I overheard someone ask if ethanol could be used instead of methanol... The main reason I ask this is because with another simple project(a still) I could make alcohol with roughly 85% ethyl alcohol, and 10% methyl alcohol.
If you make Ethanol you will be getting a visit from ATF. The feds Require a permit to make more than 400 gal PER YEAR or they come and take you away!

The short answer to your question is yes, but not at home. Ethanol cannot be "distilled" past 98 percent. The remaining 2 percent is water...............and is enough to KILL the reaction. Ethanol can be made to 100 percent but it takes specialized equipment that is beyond most home-brewers.

In most cases Methanol is less costly than Ethanol and produces a better quality product with less chance of forming soaps.

There are no stupid questions.......................but I've heard some stupid answers
FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE

Last edited by fabmandelux; 05-03-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
If you make Ethanol you will be getting a visit from ATF. The feds Require a permit to make more than 400 gal PER YEAR or they come and take you away!

The short answer to your question is yes, but not at home. Ethanol cannot be "distilled" past 98 percent. The remaining 2 percent is water...............and is enough to KILL the reaction. Ethanol can be made to 100 percent but it takes specialized equipment that is beyond most home-brewers.

FABMANDELUX.
I know it takes alot more time to get it past 96% in one still cycle, and that there will be much more waste past that point, but you can buy reusable desicant to "dry" your alcohol fuel, and they will also poison it to make it not fit to drink.

Also I know about the ATF, I live on a farm and it is much easier to recieve a permit, along with fewer taxes because of use with off-road vehicles.

I was unsure if it could be done, that's why I was asking. Is there a web page, or a couple of paragraphs somewhere that explains the pro's, con's, and prosseses to use it?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
The amounts are the same for Ethanol or Methanol, all you are doing is swapping one alcohol for another. Even triple distilled Alcohol will be less than 98 percent, then it has to perculate through a "molecular-sieve" to remove the remaining water. After it is refined to 100 percent, ANY EXPOSURE TO THE ATMOSPHERE WILL CAUSE IT TO DRAW MOISTURE. Just not worth it. And I am a farmer also.

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Elder User

That's the kind of definative answer I was looking for. Click the image to open in full size. Thank you fabman.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
I was told by our local ethanol plant they have to mix 2% gas into the batch to make it denatured (not drinkable). This was to get past the ATF guys so wouldn't tax it as drinkable.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 PM