Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior User

bio-d is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Bio-D and SVO in same tank?

Can I run bio-d and svo in the same tank. I've read some posts that say they don't mix well, but will this be a problem? I'll be running bio-d in cold weather and the bio-d would benefit from warming anyway.Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not a good idea they dont mix at all. You dont have to warm BD to keep it from crystalizing just mix it with some good ole #2
Old 05-02-2006, 07:13 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
What he said
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior User

Thanks for the replies. What exactly is the problem with bio and svo not mixing, as long as I'm using the svo heaters? Do they react to form another compound?
I'd rather not have to use any #2 if I don't have to. I have two tanks on my 87 6.9 idi, so one would always have bio or #2, but on a long trip I'd like to use svo when available. Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The specific gravities of the two liquids are to far apart.
WVO is a much larger heavier molecule than BD (that's why the specific gravities are different)
Old 05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Junior User

tobetaxfree is starting off with a positive reputation.
SVO not WVO?

I believe he wrote Bio-D and SVO. SVO is different than WVO. I understand SVO is refined vegetable oil like you cook with. Waste vegetable oil is the stuff that restaurants use in their deep fryers. I also believe that this stuff is often a liquid shortening meaning it is partially hydrogenated. If he meant WVO great. If he actually meant SVO, then I would like to know if those two can be mixed.
Too Much Is Never Enough!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Junior User

fordman 460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It is still no. Just because it was used in a fryer doesn"t change the specific gravity and they will not stay mixed.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobetaxfree
I believe he wrote Bio-D and SVO. SVO is different than WVO. I understand SVO is refined vegetable oil like you cook with. Waste vegetable oil is the stuff that restaurants use in their deep fryers. I also believe that this stuff is often a liquid shortening meaning it is partially hydrogenated. If he meant WVO great. If he actually meant SVO, then I would like to know if those two can be mixed.
Vegetable oil is vegetable oil. WVO = used SVO.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior User

I get that they don't mix, but what difference does it make as long as I have the heating system to liquify the svo/wvo? Won't they still ignite in the combustion chamber?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
It separates in the tank with the different gravities. Until well mixed by truck movement.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Posting Guru

If you run WVO or SVO it is imperative that you start up and shut down on straight diesel. The only way to assure that will happen is two seperate tanks and essentially seperate fuel systems; diesel to start and shut down VO to run. Failure to do this can produce early engine failure. If you just mix the two in a single tank it will seperate into two layers. Your truck will be running on which ever layer is at the tank pickup at any particular moment. If it happens to be the VO layer when you shut down there is a very good chance you will have a lot of trouble getting it started again.

You need to ask a VO expert about using VO the sponser of this forum is Lesk WVO conversions. they have a link at the top of this thread. You can also get hold of them by starting a new thread titled "Questions for Lesk WVO"

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 05-03-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior User

Thanks for all the imput and patience with my question, but I guess I'm not presenting this clearly.
If I have two tanks, one with bio or #2 and one with svo and appropriate pre-heater lines, why can't I run bio/#2/svo through the heated line,as long as I do the start-up/ shutdown on Bio or #2 from the first tank? Is there a problem running bio or #2 through the heated svo line?
The situation I imagine is finding a cheap(haha) price for#2 while on the road and wanting to fill up the second tank that may have some residual svo in it.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Posting Guru

Hmmm little different scenario there. I have been told that once you use a tank for VO you should never put Diesel in it again. I dont know why.
Once again I suggest you contact Lesk WVO to get an answer to that question.

My thoughts are pick a system and go with it. Any time I have watched someone try to embrace multiple paths to the same objective it ended up costing them in the long term.

I guess my question is if you are going to run Bio Diesel why bother with the VO at all it will essentially double your initial setup cost, may lead to problems, and is an unnecessary complication.

Just convert all VO into BD and don't worry about it if you find some one giving away #2 just smile and fill up your tank. Or mod your truck to run VO and dont worry about that occasional #2 bargain cause your never gonna find #2 as cheap as WVO.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 05-04-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
tank, vegitable, waste