1st timer: I made soap not Bio diesel Help!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM
viperguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st timer: I made soap not Bio diesel Help!

I tried to make a small batch of bio diesel from fresh canola oil and the end result wasn't pretty. Some one please tell me what I did wrong. I took 1 litre of fresh oil and heated it to 130f. While doing that I mixed 250ml of methanol ("Snap" gas line antifreeze, says contains methanol) and 4g of lye (Glug drain opener,contains caustic soda: sodium hydroxide) in a seperate container and shook the hell out of it until it dissolved. Then I mixed the oil and methoxide together and shook it for 3 minutes really hard. I let it sit for a day and a half and saw it separated with a carmel color glycerine on the bottom. I then drained it out the bottom and proceded to the bubble wash stage. I added a 1/3 water and put the bubble wash stone at the bottom. I let that sit for 4 hours before I shut it off. I let it sit till the next day and i would say close to half of the total mixture was pure creamy frothy white. I drained all the water out the bottom, it ran out just like pure water would, I then got frustrated and dumped it all out because it didn't look right. Where did I go wrong.

Do you think the lye or methanol I used wasn't pure enough??

I am very interested in learning how to do this the right way.I plan to build an appleseed processor.

Another question: I am in Seattle,WA, does anyone know where I can buy methanol and lye (KOH) in bigger quantites. Like 55 gal of methanol???

Thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by viperguy
I tried to make a small batch of bio diesel from fresh canola oil and the end result wasn't pretty. Some one please tell me what I did wrong. I took 1 litre of fresh oil and heated it to 130f. While doing that I mixed 250ml of methanol ("Snap" gas line antifreeze, says contains methanol) and 4g of lye (Glug drain opener,contains caustic soda: sodium hydroxide) in a seperate container and shook the hell out of it until it dissolved. Then I mixed the oil and methoxide together and shook it for 3 minutes really hard. I let it sit for a day and a half and saw it separated with a carmel color glycerine on the bottom. I then drained it out the bottom and proceded to the bubble wash stage. I added a 1/3 water and put the bubble wash stone at the bottom. I let that sit for 4 hours before I shut it off. I let it sit till the next day and i would say close to half of the total mixture was pure creamy frothy white. I drained all the water out the bottom, it ran out just like pure water would, I then got frustrated and dumped it all out because it didn't look right. Where did I go wrong.

Do you think the lye or methanol I used wasn't pure enough??

I am very interested in learning how to do this the right way.I plan to build an appleseed processor.

Another question: I am in Seattle,WA, does anyone know where I can buy methanol and lye (KOH) in bigger quantites. Like 55 gal of methanol???

Thanks
First welcome to FTE Your first stop should be: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org

The answer to your questions.............................

#1. Drain cleaner has aluminum and magnesium, that will KILL the reaction. Use 98 percent KOH or NaOH, Red Devil Lye can be used for small test batches.

#2. 1 ltr oil only requires 200ml of methanol.

#3. All oils require a base amount of 5gms/lye per liter + titration. New [ unused ] oil requires approx 20 percent over the base amount. You should have used 6gms of Lye.

FABMANDELUX.

Search this Thread