Oil & Lubrication  

blacklight for dye in oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 PM
cdv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blacklight for dye in oil ???

Hello, I have a 6.0 that is leaking oil, took it to the dealer they say it's not bad enough to fix but they put dye in the oil and said to come back in a few weeks and they would try and locate it. My understanding is the dye shows up under a black light, so I bought a black light bulb, put in in my trouble light and started looking but nothing showes up. Wanting to see what it would look like I pulled the dip stick and wiped oil on a paper towel and that does not show up under the light either. Does anyone out there know if it takes a special light or would any black light bulb work? I'm wondering if it really has dye in the oil because they seemed to have the "you did'nt buy it here so go to hell attitude".
Thanks for any help. cdv.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:21 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well it will depend on the wavelength & energy level of your black light & the kind of phosphor in the dye.

I used a hand held "black light" to search for a coolant leak after the dealer added it back in 99. It glowed a bright yellow green,easily seen in subdued lighting, but probably not easly seen in direct sunlight.

Most oils will have a slight yellowish tinge when subjected to black light, because of the phosphorus used in the oils addpack, but if they really have added the dye to the oil, I should think it could be seen on the dipstick with the proper wavelegth light. even though it may not be as powerful as the dealers light.

Ask them the name of the dye product used, then ask the mfgr about your light & if it'll work.

I've used these dye penetrants to look for cracks in metal, glass, cermacis & plastisc parts. The parts were soaked in a diluted solution of the dye, allowed to dry, to concentrate it in the defects, so they would be brighter & easier to see.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:39 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
I bought an inexpensive UV flashlight off ebay. Cost less than $15 shipped from Hong Kong in about a week.

I've been using it to look for AC leaks after injecting UV dye.

Steve

Old 04-30-2006, 11:28 AM
cdv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'll check the auto parts store for a better light.