Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light flashing - Is it an error code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:55 AM
underDAWG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag light flashing - Is it an error code?

My airbag light is flashing; it looks like that it gives me some sort of error code. Does anyone know how to decode the flashing code.

It flashes once, pause and then followed by 5 flashes. Anyone know what that mean? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Yes I think that it is. Mine was doing the same with a code 2/7. I found the info here after doing a search. I fixed it myself as well. Good Luck

Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 AM
underDAWG
Senior User
Thanks Zip. I did a search but so far have no luck yet. I will keep searching. Anyone know the link please post.

BTW, it is for 1996 F150 manual and 5.0L V8. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by underDAWG
Thanks Zip. I did a search but so far have no luck yet. I will keep searching. Anyone know the link please post.

BTW, it is for 1996 F150 manual and 5.0L V8. Thanks.
There is not a 15 Code but if you have it backwards and it is 51 then it is:

Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground.

Note this is from the 1995 shop manual and I would think yours is the same.
Sorry that I do not have a 1996 manual.

Here is a list of the codes.

CODE
-- No Air Bag Indicator - Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Positive Voltage to Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
-- Continuous Air Bag Indicator - Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
12 Low Battery Voltage
13 Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground
21 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage
23 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
42 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
44 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
53 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Indicator (No Fault Code) All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected

Last edited by subford; 04-28-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
underDAWG
Senior User
I found it. It was posted by Wildcat 30

CODE COMPONENT/FAULT
12 Low Battery voltage
13 Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Shorted to Ground
21 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
22 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage
23 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
24 Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Feed/Return Circuit Open
32 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
34 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted
41 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
42 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Feed/Return Circuit Open
44 RH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
45 LH Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
51 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground
52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
53 Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Fault
- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Indicator (No Fault Code) All Primary Air Bag Sensors Disconnected
- No Air Bag Indicator - Inoperative Indicator Circuit or No Battery Positive Voltage to Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
- Continuous Air Bag Indicator - Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative

So it looks like I have code 51

Does anyone know how I go about to fix this, i.e. where to look?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 AM
underDAWG
Senior User
Hey SubFord, You beat me, but big thanks.

Do you know where is the thermo fuse?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:08 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse -- Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground (Diagnostic Trouble Code 51)

Normal Operation

NOTE:
The air bag diagnostic monitor contains an internal thermal fuse that is not serviceable. The thermal fuse is controlled by a computer inside the air bag diagnostic monitor. The computer will blow the thermal fuse whenever a short on the deployment circuits occurs. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to jumper out the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker or any other type of fuse.

NOTE:
DO NOT install a new air bag diagnostic monitor until the short has been located and corrected. If a short to ground has not been located and corrected, then the short to ground is intermittent and IS NOT PRESENT AT THIS TIME. Installing a new air bag diagnostic monitor with an intermittent short in the system will result in blown air bag diagnostic monitors and repeat repairs.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the voltages at the diagnostic monitor connector pins. When certain air bag deployment wires are shorted to ground (heavy lines illustrated in the schematic below), the system may become susceptible to unwanted deployment of the air bag(s). The air bag diagnostic monitor senses a short to ground on any of these circuits and helps prevent unwanted air bag deployment by blowing the diagnostic monitor thermal fuse. Blowing this fuse removes all power (battery and backup power) from the air bag deployment circuits. While the short to ground exists, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 13 or 14. If the short to ground is intermittent and temporarily corrects itself, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 51.

NOTE:
If the short to ground returns, the higher priority Code 13 or 14 will flash instead of 51.

If the air bag indicator is flashing Code 51 and a short to ground has not been serviced, this means that an intermittent short to ground exists in the supplemental air bag restraint system. The air bag diagnostic monitor should be replaced only after repairs to the intermittent short have been completed.

Some service tips for finding an intermittent short to ground are:

1. Consult OASIS (Restraint Systems Service Code 104000) for up-to-date diagnostics and descriptions of wiring concern locations for the vehicle (VIN number) you are working on. OASIS is updated daily using concern descriptions from engineering and Dealership Service sources.

2. Inspect wiring and harnesses in areas where they pass through or are located next to metal components (i.e., engine compartment bulkhead, body sheet metal, component mounting brackets, etc).

Code 51 After Air Bag Deployment

Occasionally, immediately after an air bag deploys, the internal wiring of the driver side air bag module may become shorted to the metal housings of the driver side air bag module. This internal short is detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor as short to ground in the air bag deployment wiring. Since the air bag diagnostic monitor is still operating immediately after most deployments, the air bag diagnostic monitor will detect the shorted wiring and will flash Code 13 and blow the internal thermal fuse. After the deployment, as the air bag cools off, the internal shorted wiring may correct itself, therefore the short to ground will no longer exist and the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 51. If a vehicle with a deployed air bag is flashing Code 51, inspect and replace all the damaged areas of the vehicle with crushed wiring, sensors, etc. If no damage is found assume that the deployed air bag was the cause for the intermittent short and replace the air bag diagnostic monitor when the new driver side air bag module is installed.

NOTE:
Air bag diagnostic monitors can withstand several air bag deployments and do not need to be replaced after every deployment. Only replace the air bag diagnostic monitor if it is damaged.

Code 51 Sequence of Events

1. Short to ground occurs on one or more of the circuits shown in heavy lines in the schematic.

2. The air bag diagnostic monitor recognizes the shorted wiring and flashes out a diagnostic trouble Code 13 or 14 and sends a signal to the internal thermal fuse, causing it to blow.

3. The air bag diagnostic monitor will continue to flash Code 13 or 14 while the short to ground is present. If the short to ground goes away, a diagnostic trouble Code 51 appears.

4. The air bag diagnostic monitor only flashes a Code 51 when the thermal fuse is blown and the short to ground is not present. Do not replace the air bag diagnostic monitor until the short to ground has been located and serviced. Consult OASIS for shorted wiring information.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
keiferdawg
New User
hey.........

my dads 94 f150 did the same thing, his horn didnt work and the cruise control didnt either and the airbag light was blinking, he took it to the dealer and it turned out 2 be the clock spring in the steering wheel that had broke, simple fix dosent take long if u know how to get the airbag out, thats wut we did, it may or may not be the same thing on urs

Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
underDAWG
Senior User
Ooop, it looks like I need to replace the air bag diagnostic monitor. Does anyone know where this module located? TIA.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Hey SubFord, You beat me, but big thanks.

Do you know where is the thermo fuse?
Yes it is in the monitor.
Here is a diagram.

Last edited by subford; 04-28-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Ooop, it looks like I need to replace the air bag diagnostic monitor. Does anyone know where this module located? TIA.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 PM
underDAWG
Senior User
As always, thanks for your help SubFord.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I searched and found this thread.

After pressure washing out my floorboard of my '94 (which I do about once a year) my air bag light is flashing. So I'm guessing some water made the 'air bag diagnostic monitor fuse' blow. How do I go about changing/checking it?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 PM
underthemilkyway
New User
Airbag light blinking I believe its a code.....

32. What do I have to do to fix this? I would really appreciate any help. I just bought this vehicle. 94 E-250 . Thanks Under

Old 06-07-2006, 04:56 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Quick Reply: Airbag light flashing - Is it an error code?