Notices

Tonneau choice Truxedo or Extang

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 PM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonneau choice Truxedo or Extang

It's time for me to get a tonneau cover for my short bed 250. I've been reading up on past posts and like both the Truxedo (either the regular or low profile, probably the low profile) or the Extang full tilt.

I don't care for the roll ups as they take up a foot or so in the bed and with the short bed that is too much. I don't care for the ARE or other fiberglass types in case I use the truck unexpectedly and I have no place to store the cap.

I like the Truxedo as it just rolls up, is lockable, and posters here seem to like it. I am concerned that it takes up 3 inches on the sided of the bed rails. What happens when the loader dumps a scoop of mulch or topsoil on these? Will they break off?

The Extang seems to be nice as it works like a fiberglass tilt cover, but if need be you pull off a couple of supports and it rolls up like a regular tonneau. The question I have with this is since it doesn't "seal" all the way around how watertight is it?

Any comments on these two systems are welcomed as well as any other suggestions of another brand that fits my needs.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 AM
joe_j
New User
Hello

I had a TruXedo on my 03 Ranger, I liked it so much I got one for the 06 F-150 as well. I like the fact that it is easy to roll up when I need to carry something and it is pretty weather tight. I have taken it through the car wash and lots of high winds here in Colorado and never had a problem with it coming un-done.

I'm not sure what would happen to the rails if a top loader dumped top soil or mulch on them, they do bolt down pretty tight, and I've never had a problem, but then I haven't had the truck loaded by a top loader either.

Not sure I was much help, other than I really like mine.

Later
Joe

Old 04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had zero sealing issues with the fulltilt. Check my gallery. It has weatherstripping down all the rails, and adjustible handles to allow for more or less sealing (downward pressure). You can also see how much room it takes up in the bed sides...not much.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:37 PM
F350KingRanch
New User
I have had a TruXedo on my last three vehicles. I tow a 5'er and like to be able to rol it open when towing and then sjut it when we are at the campground or other times keeping the firewood I have stacked in the front of the truck dry. I have not had any problems with them coming loose ever. As long as you make sure it is stretched tight and press down on the velcrow it will stay there thru all kinds of wind and driving.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
c.f.moore
Senior User
I have the low profile TruXedo on my '05 F350 lg bed. The rails clamp to the pickup box. If you hit them with a loader bucket, I'm sure the worse that would happen, is that you would have to realign and reclamp. I love the rollup and velcro attachments. When I'm not hauling a 32' 5th wheel, I haul expensive hardwoods for furnature building. The cover keeps everything dry, even in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM
kellie_truxedo
Senior User
Truxedo durability

I work at Shur-Co, the manufacturer of the Truxedo Lo Profile and I would like to give you some additional information about the Lo Profile cover. I don't believe that you will have any problems with the cover's side rails. They are constructed of high temper aluminum and of sufficient wall thickness to withhold extra weight on it. The side rails are securely clamped to the pickup bed with three heavy-duty clamps on each rail. This clamping system has sufficient strength to prevent slippage between the pickup bed and the tonneau side rails. However, there are other variables to consider. Assuming that the bucket does not come in contact with the rails, how much weight and at what height will it be dumped? Also, would there be any frozen chunks in the mix?
If you would like to see a demonstration of the durability of the cover you can go to our website: truxedo.com
At the top right click on "gallery" and on the left of that page click on "durability video". If you have any other questions, please feel free to call or email us at the factory.

Last edited by IB Tim; 05-04-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to FTE Kellie, and great to have you as a sponsor.
If I may be of any assistance in the future let me know.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:52 AM
sigma
Senior User
I have the low profile TruXedo on both my trucks and can recommend it to anyone looking for a soft bed cover. I have found them easy to use, leak free, and still looking brand new after years of use. I have hauled loads of sand without any problems so I would guess you would be fine with mulch or topsoil as long as the loader does not actually hit the rails with the bucket.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:48 PM
OSUSpencer
New User
These covers are real nice - have any of you had one of these ripped off? I would be so irritated to walk out after work and see it missing! I like being able to keep my bed protected from the elements and will soon try to determine the best way to go for my new truck - either buy a hard top (hydraulic) or one of the covers we're talking about in this thread. These are much more flexible it would appear when compared to a hard top where it seems like you have limited flexibility if any as to what you could load. What are your thoughts?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
Depends where you park it. I would fear convertible top slashers more than anything else.

I've parked mine in several high crime areas, without incident.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 AM
kellie_truxedo
Senior User
Of the thousands of covers we have sent out all over the United States, I only remember getting one call from a customer who had some parts stolen from his cover. And I haven't heard of anyone having the whole cover stolen. The vinyl material is very durable, but someone could cut it with a knife. I've only heard of that happening to a handful of people though.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:47 AM
OSUSpencer
New User
Thanks for the follow-up; that's comforting to know. The look is definitely strong, and I need to get mine done! Thanks.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
+1 truxedo lo profile. Of the two, the truxedo is better engineered.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:52 PM
F350KingRanch
New User
Any one interested in a original Truxedo covre in Navy Blue shoot me a e'mail or PM. Thanks to the dealer ordering the wrong one, I got stuck wiht a Original one and didn't notice it until I had the rails on the truck. It is Navy Blue and fits a long box super duty pick up. Cost me $438 less than a week ago and I cant return it because it was mounted on my truck for one day. No return policy once it is installed. Even if you took it back off the next morning!!! But my loss can be your gain as I need to get some of my money back.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
I've been looking at and comparing the Truxedo, full tilt, and some other similar to the full tilt. Of course I'm even more confused and starting to question my sanity in putting so much concern into a cover.

I like the Truxedo as it appears to be totally flat on the bed. My concern with the Truxedo is I have the Westin bed extender (which I have found to be extremely useful with my short bed) which might hit the Truxedo's rails. The Truxedo's website lists a necessary clearance of 3 in for the Lo Pro and 2 3/4 for the origional. I have 2 3/4 with bed extender. I'm sure I can go with the origional as it just clears it (on paper) and even if not I'm sure wither the bed extender or rail will "give" enough to make it happen.

Does anyone have the bed extender with either cover and how does it work?
Any opinions on the looks of the origional compared to the Lo pro?
Kellie, may I recommend your company's website get some photos from the rear level with the cover to show the mounting rails. That's what I need!

As far as the full tilt goes, I like the concept and it would solve my concern with the bed extender. The hesitation I have with the full tilt is that is bow up slightly in the middle. I realize it is slight but I just like the looks of the totally flat Truxedo better.

It seems like whatever anyone has they are satisfied with it. I haven't read anything negative about any name brand cover. I just want to be sure I get what suits me best. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Tonneau choice Truxedo or Extang