Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Senior User

catbird7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Blends

I blend WVO with diesel and used motor oil. Simple process, pour 5 gal wvo, 5 gal diesel, 1 gal used motor oil, in an elevated plastic garbage can and gravity feed through a filter. I installed a clear plastic tube coming out of the bottom of the can which goes to a 5mic house water filter. The plastic tube continues through the filter and then goes to a holding tank. From there I pump into truck. When this mixture travels through the clear tubing I can see layers between each liquid! Will these three liquids mix together and stay mixed or will they seperate. If they do seperate will it/does it cause problems?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Junior User

Tx_Atty is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have never seen anyone advocate using used motor oil as any type of fuel other than a few trying it in oil burning heaters. I seriously doubt you will ever get diesel and motor oil to maintain solution. I think you are taking a huge risk.

Really want mid-70s CC 4x4 (super cab will do).
Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Senior User

Motown Fire is starting off with a positive reputation.
What vehicle are you running this mixture in???

Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior User

1989 F350 7.3 IDI 5spd
Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird7
I blend WVO with diesel and used motor oil. Simple process, pour 5 gal wvo, 5 gal diesel, 1 gal used motor oil, in an elevated plastic garbage can and gravity feed through a filter. I installed a clear plastic tube coming out of the bottom of the can which goes to a 5mic house water filter. The plastic tube continues through the filter and then goes to a holding tank. From there I pump into truck. When this mixture travels through the clear tubing I can see layers between each liquid! Will these three liquids mix together and stay mixed or will they seperate. If they do seperate will it/does it cause problems?
Sorry, very bad idea. Wvo and diesel will not stay mixed, I've done quite alot of experiminting with this. Even at a 10 percent ratio of WVO/ diesel, it will separate, with the wvo going to the bottom which will be sucked into the fuel pick-up first. Unheated WVO will cause the injectors mto coke up and also to build up behind the rings and cause excessive cyclinder wear'

Using waste motor oil will also cause problems. You can't filter out the contaminants out with any filter. Recyclers use a centrifuge to do the separation.

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior User

I can only speak of my own experience. I have driven many miles on this mixture with no problems. Maybe the return lines keep the three liquids mixed or maybe burning straight wvo or straight umo isn't a problem, I don't know!?! I do know it works for me and I also know that doesn't justify recommending it to others. My risk is minimal this is primarily a hunting rig (truck value probably $3000.00) compared to a new 6.0 @ $40,000.00. I'll continue to experiment and take every "free" mile I can get!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you value every free mile then use straight WVO.

I would be willing to bet you are heading for a major letdown at some point in time.
If you know anything about specific gravity you will understand why Diesel and VO wont stay mixed, molecular weight of VO is 3 times that of Diesel. Probably what you are doing is burning relatively pure whatever layer your fuel line pickup is drawing from. Unheated VO is asking for trouble.

BTW the engine is worth more than $3000 all by itself.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM