1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

My 68' Custom Cab.........Finally Finished!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Bill_s351
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Jul-02 AT 03:21 AM (EST)]Hey guys.......remember me, Bill? Well I finally finished my old 68' F-100 Custom cab. It's running great and I'm very proud of it!
Just thought I'd drop you all a line to say hello and to tell ya I got it done.
http://www.royjohnsonjr.com/Greg-2.jpg
http://www.royjohnsonjr.com/Greg-1.jpg

Old 07-26-2002, 02:25 AM
Scotty1
Senior User

Very Nice looking truck

Old 07-26-2002, 02:29 AM
Bill_s351
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Jul-02 AT 03:37 AM (EST)]Thank You! It took long enough to get it finished. It still has a few things that need done, but I'm just doing a little bit at a time.
Still hoping to put in late model lap belts, and maybe a new paint job sometime.

Thanks once again.

Bill

Old 07-26-2002, 04:57 AM
1968F250LWB
Elder User

Bill,
I was wondering why you haven't created your photo gallery? I would love to see some before pics if you have them. It would help me greatly when I get discouraged on mine! Very nice looking truck though. You mention a new paint job, is that the original one in the pics?
Russell
1968 F250 LWB 300-6
FORD=First on Race Day
mopar=Mostly Old Parts and Rust
gmc=Got a Mechanic Comming
chevrolet= Cracked Head Every Valve Replaced, Owe a Little, Except its Trash

Old 07-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Bill_s351
Junior User

Russell, Fortunately for me the truck was in pretty good shape when I bought it. It had a fresh paint job on it in 96', but it is really crappy! The truck was really filthy and had mixed matched tires and wheels. It had a 3spd on the column, manual steering and brakes. I cleaned it up, got a set of 15"x8" factory wheels and had them powder coated for protection against the elements. Put on the beauty rings and dog dish caps. I found a 73' 3/4 ton donor truck for the pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, 3/4 ton rear leaf's, and rebuilt the C6 auto tranny. Well, it sounds simple, but believe me, I wouldn't want to do all that swapping around ever again. Don't get me wrong, it all works fine now, but it wasn't an easy project to say the least!
I had to find out things the hard way when it came to swapping the tranny. Not to mention here in N.GA it took me forever to find the correct driveshaft. I didn't want to have one cut for two reasons.
1)It was going to be an arm and a leg to have it done.
2)I didn't want any balancing problems later on.

I had to make my own atlernator bracket because the bolt was broke off in the block of the stock 360. The machine shop screwed it up when they tryed to tap it out. So I had to relocate the main bolt to the end of the head. (I had nightmares on that one) Hmm...lets see what else? Oh, the auto steering column went right in, but I had to get another motor mount perch for pwr steering. The pwr steering unit is much bigger therefore wouldn't clear the stock perch when mounting it on the frame rail. Man that thing is heavy.

All in all I guess it wasn't really that bad now that I think of it, but at that time, man I was cussing and very frustrated to say the least. All of this changing took place over the course of about 3 yrs, due to me having back surgery shortly after the project was started. Not to mention my limited funds because I was off work with my back.

I'm glad to say that the truck is now on the road, my back is better and I'm a happy camper again. I don't really have any good before pic's worth putting on the forum because it was mostly mechanical work being done. However I will take a pic of the 95' lariat bench seat which by the way was a direct replacement in the stock location.
This swap seemed to be the only one that just bolted right up.

The only thing now that I want to change is the 73' proportioning valve for the brakes....oh and maybe later on just replacing it all with a late model booster, master cyl. etc.

I'm pleased with everything now and I wouldn't let it go. Beisdes, I probably couldn't afford to.

Good luck with your truck and I hope it turns out great!

Bill

Old 07-26-2002, 03:06 PM
jherman
Senior User

What kind of seats do you have in the truck? I see you have headrests.
Joe Herman

Old 07-26-2002, 03:47 PM
jeremyd72
Senior User
Post My 68' Custom Cab.........Finally Finished!

Looks good Bill. Did you say you used F-250 power disc brakes on it? Did you put F-100 5-lug rotors on it and it worked? I didn't think the spindles were interchangable.

Old 07-26-2002, 06:42 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

> Still hoping to put in late model lap belts

I ordered mine from www.andoauto.com because I wanted a non-retractable three point seatbelt with the extra hardware needed for the shoulder attachment.

I plan on putting up some pictures and notes about the installation.

Old 07-26-2002, 07:19 PM
Bill_s351
Junior User

Yeah, your right....the spindles didn't work. I had to find a set from a 1/2 ton F-100, and I bought brand new calipers and rotors from Autozone. The rotors were only $25.00 ea. (with the races and bearings) The calipers were only $8.99 ea. Not too bad for new parts VS. having to rebuild the old ones. HUH?

Old 07-26-2002, 07:33 PM
leonmcjr
New User

The only problem I see is
The truck don't belong to me

Old 07-28-2002, 03:26 PM
GolferSA
Elder User

Bill,

Great looking truck!! Congratulations! Couple of requests...

Do us a favor, and take some closeups of the seat... most of us are looking to upgrade to some type of seat setup with headrests.

I'd also like to suggest that you install a shoulder harness/lap belt... check the cab corner above your head... if there's a rubber grommet there it won't be too difficult.

Can you take a closeup of what you did with the wheels? I have some old funky aluminum mags on mine (came that way, see my gallery), and have picked up a couple sets of the Ford dog dish hubcaps... as soon as I find some stock 15 x 5 steel wheels with a 5 1/2" pattern I'm going to set mine up like you've done... very nice looking!

Oh yeah... rear bumper! If you have some more pics of the truck create a gallery... we love to look at beautiful old trucks!

GolferSA
67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
Check out my gallery!

Old 07-28-2002, 05:40 PM
71swissaqua
Elder User

Bill, you should be proud. You have a very fine truck. I always liked the style of wheels you have. Very sharp truck.
Clint

Old 07-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world

only thing i can say is, beautiful, realy nice, wish it was in my stable. aint nothing like doing it yourself and getting an end result like that, huh bill.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:30 PM
IronSled
Junior User

>Bill,
>
>Great looking truck!! Congratulations! Couple of
>requests...
>
>Do us a favor, and take some closeups of the seat... most of
>us are looking to upgrade to some type of seat setup with
>headrests.
>
>I'd also like to suggest that you install a shoulder
>harness/lap belt... check the cab corner above your head...
>if there's a rubber grommet there it won't be too difficult.
>
>Can you take a closeup of what you did with the wheels? I
>have some old funky aluminum mags on mine (came that way,
>see my gallery), and have picked up a couple sets of the
>Ford dog dish hubcaps... as soon as I find some stock 15 x 5
>steel wheels with a 5 1/2" pattern I'm going to set mine up
>like you've done... very nice looking!
>
>Oh yeah... rear bumper! If you have some more pics of the
>truck create a gallery... we love to look at beautiful old
>trucks!
>
>GolferSA
>67 Ford F100 Custom Cab
>352V8 C6 Auto Factory Air
>https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=5688&.jpg
>Check out my gallery!

I have a set of 15x5 steel wheels that came off my 70 F100 not 100% if their factory or not but Ill get some pics if your interested send me an
e-mail kgoldston@satx.rr.com.

PS Im in san antonio

Old 07-31-2002, 10:05 PM
Highboy70
Senior User

Nice!!!!!I hope to have mine looking as good some day. About the seat questions, I just got a rear seat out of a 1993 Crew Cab(with headrests) and I am putting it into my 1970 F250. It's all bolt in as you say ,but the only drawback that I can see is that the levers for lifting the seat are a little long and will hit the gas tank thus preventing the seat from going all the way back.
My solution? I think I will cut them shorter and put a tab coming out to the outside which will sill allow me to raise the seat if necessary. Either that or bend them at a 90 degree angle to clear the tank. Whadda you think?

If I can ever figure out how to put a picture onto this forum I will stick one in here.