Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ford AIS Filter vs NAPA 6637 Longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
fdaugher
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford AIS Filter vs NAPA 6637 Longevity?

Stockernavstar's recent posting is making me have second ideas on putting in a 6637 filter. I ordered my F250 with rubber on the floor so its plenty noisy now. I do mostly highway driving pulling 2 to 3 horses, not real dusty situation but I definatley want to get more air to it. The replacement filter for the Ford AIS is not cheap. I'm wondering how many miles those of you running this Ford AIS are getting out of the filters?

Old 04-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Car_nut57
FTE *******
Originally Posted by fdaugher
Stockernavstar's recent posting is making me have second ideas on putting in a 6637 filter. I ordered my F250 with rubber on the floor so its plenty noisy now. I do mostly highway driving pulling 2 to 3 horses, not real dusty situation but I definatley want to get more air to it. The replacement filter for the Ford AIS is not cheap. I'm wondering how many miles those of you running this Ford AIS are getting out of the filters?
I have 30K+ on my filter and it is a long way from needing to be changed. I would say most of our customers are changing the AIS filters around 50K and some in very dusty conditions are blowing them out now and again to lengthen the life of the filter. The AIS with foam sleeve will also flow plenty of air for most modified trucks. I would recommend the Ford AIS, they work great and stop the dirt without any funny noises.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
turbostroke
Senior User
DITTO with Car_nut 57 .

Gets the air it needs... no noises at all....replaced mine with 60,000 on it. Replacements can be found on the auction site for $65.00. Typically the only negative comments you will hear about the AIS system is from someone who doesn't have one. Pricey?? YES.. worth it?? YES!!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Ditto on the AIS....i love it!

Nut

Old 04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow.............there was a time when being an AIS cheerleader was a lonely job around here. It's good to see more people coming around to my way of thinking. Perhaps the cumulative IQ of this site is closer to my own than I suspected.

Originally Posted by turbostroke
Typically the only negative comments you will hear about the AIS system is from someone who doesn't have one. Pricey?? YES.. worth it?? YES!!
Couldn't have said it better, turbostroke.

On edit: I get 40000+ miles out of a filter in pretty dusty conditions (it's the AIS in case you couldn't figure that out from the rest of my post ).

Last edited by clux; 04-21-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
hmm. i guess im outnumbered so im not even gonna speak.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:54 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
hmm. i guess im outnumbered so im not even gonna speak.
don't feel too bad... i like my 6637, and it has performed very well.... however i am thinking about going back to a "box" filter of somekind... not because of noise or anything, i just would like to get less "underhood" air into my engine when i come to a stop after towing for awhile... the egts just don't come down like they should... but if i open the hood alittle bit... the egts go right down and the turbo cools right off... i really want that heat extractor hood, but i don't have a spare $900 right now...

Old 04-21-2006, 07:55 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I have been running my 6637 for almost 50,000 miles and it still looks fairly clean. My restriction gauge hasnt even moved yet. Have checked the pipe after the filter to the turbo and it is spotless everytime. The 6637 Might be a little noisey,but the price and filtration are hard to beat. I really want an AIS,but have a hard time giving up 200 bones for it..

Old 04-21-2006, 08:03 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
I could buy 10 new 6637 filters for the price of ONE new AIS system.

And, it flows more and sounds sweet.

Beat that!

Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I probably have 30k on my 6637 and no restriction. Nothing against the AIS, I may get one someday but using the cash for other mods right now.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
And, it flows more
Sorry Ryan, it flows less and doesn't filter quite as good. We've definitely been down this road many times....AIS!..no 6637!....no AIS!....no 6637! ....
...facts: AIS flows 775CFM @12 , 6637 @450cfm @12....the 6637 sounds cool! ....well the AIS is quiet ....AIS!...no 6637! ....and so on....
Nut

Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
I could buy 10 new 6637 filters for the price of ONE new AIS system.
You could also buy 10 Chevy 350's for the price of one Navistar 7.3.................
Does this mean you're going to be swapping a GM into your Ford pretty soon?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by clux
You could also buy 10 Chevy 350's for the price of one Navistar 7.3.................
Does this mean you're going to be swapping a GM into your Ford pretty soon?
can't argue with that logic

Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
the filter itself may outflow the 6637, but with all that box and restriction, you cant be flowing that many CFM. see how small the inlet on the AIS is compared to the entire surface area of the 6637? the fact that the AIS muffles the noise means it's restrictive enough for me. hearing all the sounds= no restriction. and on top of that, you can't beat $20.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 PM
clux
Post Fiend
the filter itself may outflow the 6637, but with all that box and restriction, you cant be flowing that many CFM. see how small the inlet on the AIS is compared to the entire surface area of the 6637?
You're falling into a logical fault males typically make by believing that it must be better just because it is bigger. If the filter media is significantly more restrictive (powercore vs pleated paper), it doesn't matter how much surface area you have. From a post over at TDS:

"OK fellas, here's the deal. I spoke directly with Jordan Flagstad - I was the one he gave those flow numbers to. He is an engineer at Donaldson. Donaldson makes the big filter (B085011) that Dale Isley puts on his Tymar setup. Donaldson makes the AIS kit and the Power Core filter that goes into it.

Donaldson did the comparison flow testing. They tested the flow through their entire AIS kit as they sell it (or as Ford dealers sell it), and they tested their B085011 filter alone hooked up to the flow test equipment. And the flow through the Power Core filter installed in the AIS housing, plastic housing and all, showed 8.3" of restriction at 500 CFM flow. The flow through the B085011 filter alone, hooked directly up to the test equipment (ie. - open to airflow all the way around the filter) showed 10" of restriction at the same 500 CFM flow. This is how Jordan explained it to me, and this is why I am replacing my Tymar with the AIS. "
the fact that the AIS muffles the noise means it's restrictive enough for me. hearing all the sounds= no restriction.
Hearing all the sound means nothing, noise doesn't equal performance. Cellophane conducts sound very well, but I don't think it would make a very good filter media. Gale Banks says:

"Aftermarket filters-on-a-stick don’t work very well, even if the air filter element has an enclosure around it. They still tend to take in the hot underhood air, which is far less dense than outside ambient air. Remember, just because an aftermarket airbox system or filter-on-a-stick makes more noise, doesn’t mean its making power or increasing air density. Make sure you get a dynamometer-tested airbox that actually makes power and increases air density instead of just making more noise."
and on top of that, you can't beat $20.
I can build you a filter out of some chicken wire and gauze for less than $20. But I'm not sure you would use it, and I know I wouldn't.

Quick Reply: Ford AIS Filter vs NAPA 6637 Longevity?