Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Bimmerboy1989 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.0L Performance

Ok, I have a 1990 4.0L V6 Ranger that needs new heads. I was wondering what kind of things I could do to the engine while I have the heads off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Postmaster

RomerB2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
New cam? What about porting the heads?

Yup!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Delta Cams offers a Rocker Arm Assembly/Pushrod Kit for the 4.0L OHV. Part # F-40 KIT. It doesn't do much for performance but the kit is highly recommended as part of a rebuild.

http://www.deltacam.com/index.php
Ford Pics
Old 05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Post Fiend

wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.
Comp Cams Sells A Good Midrang Cam For It, Also Port,and Polish The Heads, Add Larger Injectors, Bigger Tb, And Maf, A Set Of Headers, And You'll Be Rocken!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell borror
Comp Cams Sells A Good Midrang Cam For It, Also Port,and Polish The Heads, Add Larger Injectors, Bigger Tb, And Maf, A Set Of Headers, And You'll Be Rocken!
Indeed, great advice.

Intake and exhaust as well.

RP
Zach
Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 AM
New User

d3adp00l is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am looking into better ratio rockers, but as far as I can tell these 4.0s ohv have a few things working against them valve sizes, rocker ratios, and compression ratio. Have the machine shop check your clearances(as I have yet to have mine that far apart yet) to see how of the head could be milled to get it around 9.5/10 to 1 compression. Increasing flow and increasing compression means power. The sohc 4.0 is running 9.7 comp and 1.8/1.5 valves which is pobably the largest factors for its 207 hp rating.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM
New User

Btw I forgot I believe these motors are all using dished pistons, might be able to use flats and get the ratio to the right spot.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
New User

jv982 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What intakes are available for the '90 4.0 ranger? I have just installed an e-fan on my truck and have ran into clearance problems that will not be solved with the stock intake.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Post Fiend

wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.
I did some checking for you, and the oldest I could find was k&n, they have an intake for a 96 4.0, they had a piture, and it looks pretty basic, may have to do a little fabbing, that or get one of those generic kits from ebay. It's hard to find performance stuff for the older rangers. The good news is, Morana v6 racing has developed a 4.5 stroker kit for the ohv 4.0, that should be an awesome product.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 AM
New User

I just put together a "cold air" intake for my 92 4.0 using 3" intercooler pipe from ebay I used one 90 degree steel elbow and a 45 degree elbow. I just had to trim the pipes down to fit, no clearance problems at all. the fit on the stock throttle body was a little sloppy fixed by a tight clamp, and I am using a v8 maf body with the v6 sensor on it, with the t/b bored out to 70mm using a v8 butterfly. The aircleaner was just a cone type that clamped to the maf.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 AM
New User

I have compiled a list of modifications for the 4.0 and am soon to finish installing them and have it dyno'ed I will be posting the cost and descriptions of them soon, should equal at least 225hp n/a for a reasonable price.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Postmaster

That sounds pretty cool, 225 hp's out of a 4.0 is pretty good. I've given my swap a good thought, and I've decided to go ahead and go with a 5.0.

Yup!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Post Fiend

Make sure to check your emisions laws, I couldn't legaly put a 302 in my 04 here in ohio.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Postmaster

Ohh I forgot to say, I have a 90 Bronco II.

Yup!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Post Fiend

you should be allright then, the law states here, that the swapped in motor must be of the same year as the vehicle, or newer, they were using the 5.0 up to 01 in the explorer. To be legal, I'd have to swap in the 4.6, thats a big motor as it's a cammer, to much hassle, I'm just gonna build my 4.0 cammer, it has as much hp stock, as the old stock 5.0 mustang, "well", allmost.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6

Tags
2004, 40, 40l, arm, cam, delta, ford, hop, kit, manual, ohv, performance, rocker, ups, v6