The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

dumb choices you've made

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:48 AM
81fordf-250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't forget my

Don't forget the time during the roman caddle war when I got one down my shirt!!! I still have a scar from where it burned my belly. The burn is the size of a baseball. It didn't hurt because it was a 3 degree burn. I remember when I tried bajaing my truck around a turn and wreched it into another truck, or the time we went out shotting fireworks off going down the road and got caught by my dad. We are always sobber if that makes it any better.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
The dumbest thing I ever did was move out of my parents house.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
81fordf-250
Senior User
or ?

What about the time when I used my dads 97 powerstroke to pull a trailler with tables and had to lock it in 4 high to get the trailer to where we needed the tables . People 40 to 50 feet behind me in the road where dodging dirt clods That was the muddeist the truck had ever been. My dad doesn't know about it either. Hey power ford what about all the times you have been pulled over? Whats the count now? 20 30 times? what about the time you went mudding with Adams uncle and cousin?

Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Not taking school seriously enough the first time. (But Red, I still agree with you, it's a waste of time and money)"

Folks, there are quite a few careers that require an education after high school: Engineer, mechanic, teacher, doctor, building inspector, electrician, farmer, plumber, lawyer, etc. I could go on and on.

Sure, enjoyable careers are available in some of these fields without any further formal education, but to attain journeyman status in the trades, you would find yourself going to night classes or week-long classes over an extended period of time.

Don't discount the value of paying up-front for the education you need.

Sure, there are success stories that don't fit the mold I've described. I have heard them and they do happen, but are often dependent on luck and good timing as well as some extrememly hard work. They are also the exception rather than the rule, a fact which some of my own students choose to ignore.

Often, dissatisfaction with a paid-for education is a result of a mismatch between the chosen education and the career the individual really discovers he/she wants to have.

I would classify as a "dumb choice you've made" that of believing that college or trade school is a waste of money before you've fully investigate the opportunities available to young people today.

Sorry to butt in to the younger folks space, but some of us "life-experienced" people can offer a perspective that perhaps should be considered.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I hate it when people always rag on college that its a waste of time and money. What they do not realize is that without an education they are very limited in what they can do. Sure there are jobs that you can get doing construction or whatnot, but do you want to be working your butt off and killing your body for the rest of your life? There comes a point when you cannot do that type of work anymore. A college education opens so many doors that you wouldn't have even seen before.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:53 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Maybe for some people, though, a college education isn't the best path.

What I can't stand is when people gripe about what a waste of time it, but lack the backbone to act on their feelings and leave.

(I think that if you think you're wasting your time, then you are. If you go at it with the attitude of getting as much as you can out of it, then you will.)

Old 04-29-2006, 08:24 PM
defence18
Freshman User
While most of the things said is true, I think that a vast majority of school is a waste of time. Yes, it is needed in most fields, but I think the extent to which it is needed is vastly overstated. Doctors? Yes, they absolutely need to go to school for 7-8 years. Without a doubt. But in most professions, is the amount of school that a person took to get to where they are needed? Absolutely not. If someone becomes an English teacher, why the hell does he or she need to know physics? Or calculus? Come on. If someone wanted to be an English teacher, let them take all the English classes they want, and they can still be educated to the point that they need to be and take half the time. Society wants us to be well rounded, so the colleges force us to take general education classes. Why? So they can get more money. I'll give you an excellent example. My father, who entered college in 1968, decided he wanted to work on spacecrafts. So he got a degree in aeronautical and astronautical engineering. His junior year, he realized that there were a lot of people competing for only a few jobs and those usually entailed extremely long hours. He decided that it interefered with his main goal, which was raising a family, so he elected not to pursue that career. Instead, as the Vietnam War pressed on, it looked like my father was going to be drafted, which he certainly did not want to be. If he went to grad school, he would get a deferment, so he went into business school. For the last 30 years, he's worked on Wall St. What did his degree in aeronautical and astronautical engineering help him for there? Nothing. He learned nearly everything he needed to know internally through the bank. He started as a teller, and worked his way up. Sure, some of the mathematics courses he took helped him along the way, but those courses were only a fraction of the four years he spent at Purdue. Furthermore, school is not about being intelligent. School is learning to play a game and jump through hoops. In most classes, it is not about thinking at an active level, but simply regurgitating information that the teacher/professor has already fed you. So many people who get good grades are not smart at all, they just figured out how to play the game. One of the reasons that I chose to major in English was that it afforded me the ability to actively think about concepts and themes and analyze them. I'm actively using my brain, not just repeating what someone told me a month beforehand. I would much rather pursue intelligence than simply remember knowledge. Yes, school is required for the kind of life that we all aspire to, but only because that is what is expected of us, not because it is necessary.

Last edited by defence18; 04-29-2006 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
89300L64x4
Senior User
i think i did the dumbest things here
first mastake: leaving keys in truck at my friends house acrossed for my house
other buddy takes mine for a spin intown
2nd mastake taking his truck after mine to chase him
3rd side swipping his bed on a phone pole
4th paniced i lied and said it was probly a hit and run at the local store
5th letting my friend call the cops for a "hit and run"
still scared and panicked. i waited w/ my friends at the store for the sherriff
it didnt take long for him to figure it out to say the lest
charged w/ failure to control
2 months w/ plivleges
so it should of not been a legal issue but my paniked as* made it to be STILL REGET IT btw it is a 97 chebby 1500 ext cab short bed "Z71"

the second one was after skool one day being stupid racing down 33 freeway,
doing bout 100 mph gitting passed by my friends with dodges and one lifted psd
we followed them home and before they got on there road they did burnouts.
so i was last so i squeaked them and wanted to drift on a sharp left turn,
i locked up the front wheels and landed at a angle in a deep ditch
ended up getting pulled out the psd (thank god lol)
broken corner lite, mirror, dented fender and door is messed up
fixed lite and mirror. the dent in the fender and door is hard to see but window is scewed up

ps ive had my license for a year now
after all that im a better driver
hope im not the worst lol

Last edited by Beast12; 04-30-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by defence18
So many people who get good grades are not smart at all, they just figured out how to play the game.
Kinda like those who get ahead in life...

Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
defence18
Freshman User
Originally Posted by john112deere
Kinda like those who get ahead in life...
Guess that depends on how you define "getting ahead in life"

Last edited by defence18; 04-29-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:57 PM
88FordF-150
Elder User
The dumbest thing i have ever done........ i would have to say punching a steel door the other day cuz i broke the top of my nuckle off, thats not the best part. I got into a fight that night and i had to use that same hand lol i still won the fight but man did it hurt my hand ive decided to let my hand heal before i decide to get into any more fights lol.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 AM
rednekrailroader
Senior User
Hint: If you swing an axe handle it hurts your hand less. Just speaking from experience of course.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
re-enlisting in the Navy, wasted another 4 years of my life that i could have been going to college with. now i am starting off where i should have 5 years ago, what a waste.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:49 PM
devinwebb907
New User
starting out with a 'rice rocket' then heavily modifying it. i bought a 1997 eagle talon tsi awd, spend about 6-7 grand in aftermarket parts, plus 3-4 grand in repairs(rebuilt tranny was alot). then in march my car caught on fire and all of that money went down the train. buying a ford truck was a smart move. so buying a 'rice rocket' and modifying it takes the cake, dumbest thing ive ever done.

p.s. first post

Old 05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
A_G
Posting Guru
Oh...lots
-Jumping off house on to trampoline, almost broke my neck
- Letting a blonde drive my dads truck, into a dithc it went
- skipping school(getting caught anyways)
- Hurting to many people when i was young, (didnt know my strength, had anger issues)
- cutting a doughnut in the shcool parking lot
- pissing off the resource officer
- running with the wrong crowd (friend got shot in the head, and i got shot in the knee)
- trying to be gangsta when i was younger
- Buying a gas guzzler
- setting a field on fire in south ok during a burn ban (the parchute guy came down on fire)
- being born.

Quick Reply: dumb choices you've made