Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Hey everyone I am back and I bring to everyone pictures of what I had done yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Kista20
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everyone I am back and I bring to everyone pictures of what I had done yesterday

I've created another gallery and u/l some pictures of the Line-X spray in liner that was done yesterday, it was awful as you know but today was really nice so I got to work on the truck and installed a new belt then afterwards I took the pictures. I tried to take them from all angles and then selected the best ones that I felt like had turned out great. I had an over the rail bedliner and it scratched up the tops of the rails and I was gonna just get some bedrail covers but I decided just to let them spray the top too and it turned out amazing. I guess the main reason I decided to go this route is because now I have access to my tie downs (or soon to be tie downs if you wanna call it that) without having to cut holes in the bedliner. Only thing I didn't like is that they did not remove the bed bolts and I'm pretty sure I read online somewhere that Line-X removes them and installs them afterwards but they did do the tailgate access panel, all in all it turned out great!

Now with all that off my chest I just thought I'd give everyone a little update on me since I'v been not been around here for quite sometime.

First off as many of you remember last year the kind of shape that I was in lol, anyways I'm pretty much all better now and my back seems to be healed up just fine. I do get a little stiff sometimes and also when I have to reach over I bend my knees to not stress it so much. Secondly I started taking some computer classes at Blue Ridge Community College last summer and so far I've taken 4 classes and I'm currently taking one, I will only need 2 more to finish so I can receive a certificate in computer and network technologies but the thing is they won't offer the ones I need this summer so I'm gonna have to wait till fall but the good news is that I'll be around here a lot more over the summer

Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Rexman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well howdy! sounds like you're doin ok. i love the line-x. had it on my last two trucks, but with my current one i have rhino. which i will try to be pulling of and get re-line-xed.. rhino sucks...

as for the bed bolts, they never removed mine, so i dunno..

Old 04-19-2006, 03:41 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
Your Line X looks great. I had mine done, and I recomend it to everyone who has a truck,not only is it durable, it increases the resale. They took the bed bolts out of mine, actually, before they did it, I went to the dealer and got new ones, they were happy to put them in.Glad to see the great job they did.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Rocket Racing
Senior User
Grqadey

Love those pictures from Chick's Beach. That is one of my favorite photo spots.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
Happy to know I'm not the only one. Figured it was the best back drop for the pics.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Kista20
Elder User
I have always been told that line-x was the best (and also more expensive) so I just went that way. I don't think there is anyplace around here that does the rhino and the line-x of shenandoah is in harrisonburg which is 20 min. from me. I noticed yesterday the compound of it is starting to get harder, the first 2 days it seemed that it was fairly soft. I just hauled some uhmw plastic yesterday for work and had to put cardboard down because the plastic is very slick then also the liner wouldn't grip and it was like they was sliding around on ice. I can see myself getting a bedmat for those extreme situations.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Didn't think the liner was that slick. I remeber when they irst came out ir was like rubber. I personally like my slick drop in linner, very easy to hual heavy truck parts out of.

BTW, all ya'lls trucks look sick

Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Kista20
Elder User
well when I'm there on sat. you can tell me what you think. I stayed after and worked on those tie down brackets and will have them done tommorrow so they will be bolted in as well. The holes that ford used were 6x1mm which is just a little smaller than a 1/4" bolt so I drilled them out and went with 8x1.25mm instead, the 8's I feel like will definately be a lot stronger for me. I also used this size because I had a whole box of hex bolts in my toolbox at work that are harder and more comparable to an sae grade 5 so I knew they would be strong enough. Tommorrow dad is going to order me some fhcs and when they come in I'll c'sink the holes so the screws will be flush and won't be sticking out like the hex bolts. Also it's not really a big thing but when these get done for someone to steal these baby's is gonna need a metric allenwrench and I don't think too many people ride around with a set of those

Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Rexman
Senior User
unless you work on hondas like me.. heheheee....

as for the line-x, it takes about 2 weeks for it to fully set...

as for rhino, it's very rubbery, but i hate it..

Old 04-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Kista20
Elder User
hey I have a honda, 97 civic hx to be exact and I love the 40+mpg which really saves me a ton in gas. Tonight after work me and dad put the brackets in the cnc and they turned out great I must say and I've already bolted them in.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Kista20
Elder User
Ok I took my fourwheeler over to the shop today and I took off the bent pieces and replaced them with a new front rack, brush guard and handlebars, I'm happy I got all that done today but here is something that I don't like... when I used my ramps to load it in the back I noticed signs of rust starting to form in the bottom of the bed, the tailgate is not showing any signs and it's in the back of the bed and in the front mostly. It rained all day when they sprayed my truck and I think they must not have dried the bed off enough and trapped the moisture in there. I am definately going to take it back and show it to them and see what they say about it. They could've rescheduled me and it wouldn't of been a problem but they wanted to do it that day so I let them. So does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Rexman
Senior User
oh wow! that sucks. i'm sorry to hear it. but it's ok, i couldn't put my tailgate up for 3 days... and, when i got back to work, my liner was already pealing off!!!!! they used super glue to glue it back down... AFTER I JUST PAID $550 TO HAVE IT SPRAYED ON!!!??!?!?! hopefully they take care of it for ya!

Old 04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Kista20
Elder User
I told dad about it today and said that I should clean it and see if it comes off and if it comes back then show it to them. So today I tried using my bristle brush that is just like a toothbrush but has harder bristles but that didn't do anything so I used the wire brustle brush and that worked on it very well, I was afraid to use that one at first but the line-x must be pretty tough because it didn't tear it up. It is mainly in the corners where I drilled out the holes so I might be the culprit and I did use a vacuum to get all the shavings, but the whole bottom has a speckle here and speckle there and I can see it rusting in the corners but the whole bottom? So I've decided to wait a week and see what it looks like then. If it is eating it's way through what could they do about it?

I'm sure the ones that remember me from last year and the accident but for the new guys and gals that came along afterwards I had a fourwheeler accident on May 22 that fractured the L4 disc in my spine and I could've possibly cracked a rib but since there is basically nothing you can do for that they didn't pursue it in the x-rays. So all is good for me now. I'm gonna get more riding done this go around then last year.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I would have to see pictures of it to make any kind of judgement

When you drill into sheet metal, you should always prime it For the rust that is there, have you ever tried Ospho? Pretty good rust converter.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Kista20
Elder User
yeah I remember frederic using that stuff. We use this stuff at work but I don't remember the name of it and we're out of it right now. I would like to do the chassis this summer, the truck looks good on the outside but underneath is a different story. My dad's 87 looks like new but mine has all this rust underneath and also the oil pan needs to be changed, I think I've read that somewhere around early 90's ford used different chassis paint or something that the later ones rusted out. I think someone pulled a fast one when they traded my truck in because it looked great when I got it but later all the paint started flaking off showing all the rust thats there. So anyways as for my bed I took it to the carwash over the weekend but it's still there so today I stayed after about 3 hrs cleaning the bed with some degreaser and a new brush I bought over at advance. My buddy has a pressure washer that I'm going to borrow sometime. I talked to the line-x dealer that I went too and they claim it's just dirt but I know the difference between rust and dirt. Hopefully the pressure washer will break that stuff loose. From being on the back of the truck all evening scrubbing I feel like the bottom and the front of the bed seem a little thin but they did do a good job on the sides and the tops of the rails.