SVO conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVO conversion??

anybody runnin it?? im tired of pissing money into oil exec pockets....rather have the $$ going into farmers pockets.

i was lookin at svo dont really want to deal with collection and prep of wvo.

truck already has full custom fuel system on it. trying to figure out what else ill need. i was gonna put a bronco tank in the back and use the back tank for SVO and run dino in the front tank.

i know i gotta heat the oil, im wondering if i can go back to using my selector valve and just use my one dahl 150 filter and then all i should need is the fuel heater??? i dont know if i need to go all viton stainless teflon or steel lines???

can get veggie oil at costco for about 2.50 a gallon, havent really looked real hard to find out where i can get it cheaper but that was the first place i looked.....

Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
You won't need to worry about viton seals unless you start making Biodiesel with your new oil. Which I doubt you would.

Yes you will need heat Probable nothing more then electric heat since you're in S Cal. I'd suggest our Vegtherm Mega and you'd be set.

What model truck are you converting. Using the stock selector valve would be fine. If the filter is 10 micron or less then the one you have would be fine. As long as it's pretty good size. With new oil I'd guess your not going to have any real issues anyway.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:55 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
yeah i wouldnt go to bio D with the new oil, i would love to do that with the old oil but i just dont have the time to.

so your just running one filter and running diesel and svo through it?? i have the 10mic in there. the dahl 150 is huge its like 10" top to bottom dahl says on industrial diesels its good for up to a 450hp motor. and 80gph normal 100max gph

i would have gone vormax but already have dahl's on a few other pieces of equipment its nice to have the same filter on a few differnt rigs.

im actually gonna put the 45 gallon excursion tank in the back tank.

im gonna convert my 97 to it. im currently not using the selector valve since i have 3/8 supply lines up to the motor to feed the larger injectors.

i need to be set the truck up to handle the cold weather also. i rodeo alot and make it up to the colder states in the wintertime. i was up in northern ca and nv this last weekend getttin snowed on....

with that setup i will still be able to put regular #2 in the tank still right?? just turn off the fuel heater?

also i have heard some of the guys talk about a loss in mileage on the svo, have you seen this and if so how much???

i usually get 16mpg with my work gear on the truck (800lbs) and im pretty demanding on my truck.......

and get 10mpg average with a 14000lb horse trailer behind the truck

thanks for the info, im lookin hard to do this really soon.

do you know of any selector valves that have atleast a 3/8 port on them??

Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
My WVO and Diesel only share the small secondary filter in the engine compartment. The main HFCM never sees WVO. If you need to setup for heat can you heat the Dahl filter. You'll need to below probably 40F. You also may want to add a heated pickup then to the Excursion tank. The Hotfox would be ideal for that.

We have a new valve coming out not sure if they are selling it yet. It will be a three way. All metal construction. Not sure of port size. The Frybryd valve I have here on my desk looks to only have a 1/4" orifice even though the fitting size looks to be 3/8. I have not measured either so I could be a hair off.

Yes you could always run #2 in the WVO system. If you wire the Vegtherm to it's own switch then you could just turn it off.

I have no accurate way to determine the millage on WVO. When I fill my tank I don't measure how much I put back in it. I guess it might be slightly less since the BTUs of WVO are less then of diesel. Since I get my WVO for free it was never a concern for me. I picked up 95 gallons last weekend.