The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Death in the family

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death in the family

Wow.... So i come home from lunch, and my GF just hugs me and says "Your grandpa died".

I spend about 1/2 hour at their house after work every day, and have been since like january. Yesterday was just a normal day, he was just sitting there and talking and everything. Was coughing a little and said that he had a cold. I guess about 10am today he went out to get the paper, as he was walking in he just collapsed over the threshold of the door and said "mother help (talking to his wife)" by the time she got out of her chair and got over to him to try and help him up he was dead, 88 years old. My grandma is 94 or 95 i think, and you really cant tell. Now she'll be moving in with us, and we will now have 2 grandma's living with us. Good thing i'm moving out in august or we would run out of room. Thanks for listening to me guys/gals. I guess this is the common age for grandparents dying.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my. My deepest condolences go to you and your family. This is always hard to deal with. It will always catch you off guard. Hang in there buddy, we're all here for ya! Is it possible to get information in terms of the location of the funeral home?

Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I'm actually not sure yet, there planning on having the funeral on monday, it will only be the church service, and like 1 hour visitation before the service, no wake. He always said he didnt want people to come stare at him, lol, he never wanted one, so sometime on monday it will be just the church service. But thank you for your sympathy.

Its actually kind of nice to hear nice thoughts from people. Like, i was supposed to work today from 1-4 at the city. I just called one of my bosses and he answered the phone "You have a cold too? (thinking i was calling in sick like one of my other co workers did today)" and i said no my grandpa just died, and he was like "are you serious" and i just said yeah, and he probably sounded the most sympathetic i've heard all day. Just said "I"m really sorry to hear that, i'll let the guys know, that sucks". Then I told him i wouldnt be coming in today or anything like that, and he said no problem, then just said "if you need anything just give us a call". I dont know why that meant so much that he said that, but it really did. Like he actually cared about me. When my Bro called his manager to tell him he would be missing work the guy just said something like "oh i'm sorry" sounding like a robot. I guess it just makes me feel like i'm more like a person where i work, instead of just some kid on the schedule.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 PM
RangerRaider
Junior User
Sorry to hear that man, my grandfather passed away this February on a flight home from Florida... Really sucks when it catches you off gaurd, he drove himself to the airport a few days earlier too.. He was 92 so he was ready..
Again, sorry about your grandfather..

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, I'm thankful that he wasn't wasting away in a nursing home for months, he was just living his everyday life then just left. Thanks guys

Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Being the age that he was, sounds like he lived a long and fruitful life! Heck! You're here! I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but try to remember the good times. That's why he said he didn't want people staring at him. He wanted them to remember him alive and about, just like his personality probably was. Again, sorry for the loss, but keep the good thoughts up, not the bad ones. I know it's easier for me to say that in the tough time than it is to actually do it. But, my reguards to you and your family.

Ryan

Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
FORD_LOVER
Junior User
I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. My grandpa and grandma both passed within the last 2 years ( on opposite sides of the family). I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there though it will get easier has time goes on. Again sorry for your loss.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Sorry to hear that. My grandfather died on January 29th, 2006. He was 64 years old.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
79f-250custom
Posting Guru
hey sorry to hear about your loss. just hang in there and things will get better soon.
my condolences to you and your family,
Mitch

Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
twin66
Senior User
Sorry to here man, but I know how you feel, my Grandma just passed 2 weeks ago. She had been in the hospital for 2 weeks before, and my dad called, saying the doctors said she would be moved back to our home town the following day, and she could live for a few more months (she had lung cancer we didn't know about). Half an hour later she passed. It made it really hard, as my parents had to cut their vacation short to come back home when they heard she was really sick, and my sister had to come back to the country too, and take time off of school and work in Italy where she lives with her Fiance. Makes it really hard on a family. To make this worse, out of all my cousins, me, my brother and sister are the only ones without a grandma, on both sides.

My condolences are offered to you and your family.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry for your loss.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
skilife17
Elder User
I have been down that same road. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I had to deal with my grandpa passing away in 4th grade. I lost my aunt to cancer 5 years ago. Our family got the news when we were out of town. My cousin commited suicide last summer and it was very hard for me to deal with it. Were here for ya bro. Hang in there.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
spidk43
Senior User
Man... I don't know exactly how it feels, I lost my fish, my gerbils, and then my cat (all far apart) but haven't had anybody in my direct family pass. My dad's mentor's grandson passed away-he was like 30. It was really hard, I couldn't get myself to go to the visitation. He promised me he'd take me fishin in one of the rivers up north "when I got old enough to stand in the current". I needed about one more year. The next year I went up north and fished in the river by myself and it was like spending time with him. His brother and father rebuilt his car that he was rebuilding, and now it is a show car as a tribute to him. Remember him always for the good, the fun, the laughter, and the time spent with him. Take something that he really enjoyed, and do it the best you can as a tribute, and to remember him. Make him proud.
Comforts,

~Matt

P.S. I don't know how religous you are, but in Isiah 40- He who trusts in the Lord will find new strength. He shall raise them up on eagles wings, they will run and not grow weary, ther will walk and not grow weak.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
That really sucks, My grandpa's were both dead by the time I was 5, but I had some very close neibors who were my "grandpa's. one died in 97, I cryed ALOT, we watched lots of cubs games together and every macguyver episode....

The other died a few months ago......wasn't as close to him since i've since moved outa my parents house, but it still hurts

Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. It is progressively getting harder. It hasnt even hit me yet. Now when i'm getting done with work and getting ready to go over to my grandparents, i mean my grandma's house, like i normally do every day, I start to wonder what kind of stuff he's got to joke about today, or what kind of stories he has to tell me, then i realize that he's gone. Its really strange, i'm guessing the funeral is going to be really brutal. I havent seen him since tuesday, when he was alive, now when i see him laying in that casket on monday, i dont know what i'm going to think.

Quick Reply: Death in the family