Plastic to oil????

Old 04-11-2006, 02:26 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Plastic to oil????

Got this link from a friend in OZ today, look out big oil!

http://ozmotech.com.au/

Their already building plants in Europe..............

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:28 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
makes sense, since they use oil to make the plastics.. be a good way to reduce landfill usage...

Old 04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting idea - and about 20mins drive from where I live too...

Old 04-14-2006, 07:36 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigF350
Interesting idea - and about 20mins drive from where I live too...
And you're going to check it out and report back right?

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I got an info pack on the system - if anyone wants a copy of it (just for interests sake) feel free to e-mail me.
Its interesting stuff

Old 04-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately plastic is pretty stable stuff, some of it wont biodegrade for thousands of years.

As a rule of thumb anything that stable will consume lots of energy to break the bonds that will have to be broken to turn really long chain cross linked hydrocarbons into the relatively short chain hydrocarbons that can be burned as fuel. I haven't done the math on it, I never was that good at PChem, but I would be willing to bet it will turn out to be an energy consuming process. By that I mean it will consume more energy than will be made available.

We will just have to find somthing else to do with all those old computer cases.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-0...hing-into-oil/

This is the first time I posted a link, so I hope it works.
Anyway, I just read in Discover Magazine today that this plant is up and running. The magazine was in the Doctors office, so I couldn't take it, and this was the best I could come up with in a search (I have dial up it takes forever).
I'll check our local library to see if I can find a copy to pull some hard facts from, but here is what I remember:
Using heat and pressure, the plant turns turkey offal into a fuel oil that meets the standards required of oils for elecrical generation plants.
Some minor further refing can make it into diesel.
Right now the company is only turning a profit of $4 per barrel for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that the company actually has to pay for the turkey guts. They are looking hard at Europe because most European countries have banned the used of offal in animal feeds (cause of mad cow disease) and the slaughterhouses will pay someone to take it off their hands, thus making this enterprise much much more profitable.
It looks very promising as a means to turn plastics back into oil as well.
It uses only 15% of the energy it produces to power the plant. The other 85% is oil for sale.
Please don't press me for any more details as I read the article while groaning in pain from an infected cat bite that has spread into my arm (improving slowly, but improving now, thanks for asking!)
But I am telling you ladies and gentlemen, this is the technology of the future!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigF350
Well, I got an info pack on the system - if anyone wants a copy of it (just for interests sake) feel free to e-mail me.
Its interesting stuff
Thanks for the info packet Fred, I plan on using some of the info for a speach I have to give on May 18.

I was pleased to notice that they are using a hydro-cyclone for there primary separation. Maybe I'm not so dumb after all, To date I've been able to remove 95 percent of the glycerol within 15 min of mixing. I have one more modification left to do before I can try it again. If I can get another 2-3 percent I'll call it a success! The plans are almost ready to post here, just waiting for the final test.

Yours Greatfully, Don

Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckal704
http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-04/features/anything-into-oil/

This is the first time I posted a link, so I hope it works.
Anyway, I just read in Discover Magazine today that this plant is up and running. The magazine was in the Doctors office, so I couldn't take it, and this was the best I could come up with in a search (I have dial up it takes forever).
I'll check our local library to see if I can find a copy to pull some hard facts from, but here is what I remember:
Using heat and pressure, the plant turns turkey offal into a fuel oil that meets the standards required of oils for elecrical generation plants.
Some minor further refing can make it into diesel.
Right now the company is only turning a profit of $4 per barrel for a couple of reasons, but the main one is that the company actually has to pay for the turkey guts. They are looking hard at Europe because most European countries have banned the used of offal in animal feeds (cause of mad cow disease) and the slaughterhouses will pay someone to take it off their hands, thus making this enterprise much much more profitable.
It looks very promising as a means to turn plastics back into oil as well.
It uses only 15% of the energy it produces to power the plant. The other 85% is oil for sale.
Please don't press me for any more details as I read the article while groaning in pain from an infected cat bite that has spread into my arm (improving slowly, but improving now, thanks for asking!)
But I am telling you ladies and gentlemen, this is the technology of the future!
I read about this (the link, actually) on www.greasecar.com. It appears that ANYTHING with hydrocarbon chains (grabage, you name it) can be made into their crude oil. Kind of like the Mr. Fusion converter in the Back to the Future Delorean, garbage in, fuel out.

Search this Thread