1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 (Grandpas Gift)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
just ran upstairs to see what 'D' was. In 1954 'D' was for Dallas.

abe

Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abe, thanks for checking that out for me man.. you rock. Is there anyway we can find out how many sea haze trucks were produced in '54 .. I wonder if it is rare? man.. i would love to see something else painted that color cause im having a hard time liking it.. lol

Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Go to George's web site, "Earl's World" at http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/index.html click on reference materials and click on paint codes. You will see Sea Haze Green. George reminds us that your color monitor may not show the color exactly, and if you print it it will be off. But it gives you an idea. Another thing you can do is to look under your dash or inside the glove box lid to find paint that was not subject to sun and rust. This should give you a pretty good idea what it looks like. Also, check the galleries. I know some of our members have some good looking '53-'56 light green color trucks, don;t know if they are Sea Haze Green.

Also, I was looking at the color of your rear wheels. What color are the rims? They look different than the front. In '54 the rims were painted the body color...

abe

Old 04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
cbfomoco
Elder User
Congrades on the truck. I have a 54 as well. You can click on my name and then galley to look at it if you want. Excpet for the rims and the dimond plate it is farly close to stock. I redid the interior close but dont have any pictures.(Really just diff color vinal on seat, padded vinal door panels and a vinal head liner) I added a 4bbl and duels. I am looking for another rim to put on(stock). but mine was my fathers first truck and he took my mother to prom in it. I redid it and took it to prom as well. but any way congrades and my vote is for stock as well.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
well i just talked to my grandpa.. he said that the truck was sea haze green that he could remember .. and it is 100% original paint. never been touched.. He also said that he found the original owners manual this morning..

Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
captchas
man o man do you have a good one all original,numbers matching and full history, even the manual your sitting on rare for sure.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
well with a photo of a blue truck.. and some photoshop work by a good friend we were able to get an idea of the original color on a truck.
Name:  54-sea-haze.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  54.0 KB
I love it! ... i wonder how many of this color were made?

Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 PM
FOWL1
Tuned
If your truck is original and the original color and it appears there is no surface rust, try to polish a fender and see what it comes up like. I used to work with a guy that detailed cars and he used Mirror Glaze #3 & #7, 50/50 mix to bring the paint up. he would then buff it out and out on a good wax. This was at a car dealership and this guy could take the oldest oxidized paint and bring it back to life. Give that a shot if you have a good unsurface rusted spot and see what you come up with.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 AM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by abe
Also, I was looking at the color of your rear wheels. What color are the rims? They look different than the front. In '54 the rims were painted the body color...

abe
I noticed that too... the front ones are white.. and the rear body color.. the spare is also body color. ill check into that this weekend?

Old 04-14-2006, 10:19 AM
captchas
that green there was lot of. my 53 was one only made in edgewater new jersey

Old 04-14-2006, 02:10 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by captchas
that green there was lot of. my 53 was one only made in edgewater new jersey
Um.. say again.. i dont get it.. There was not alot of? or there was a lot of?

Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fiftyfourford
well with a photo of a blue truck.. and some photoshop work by a good friend we were able to get an idea of the original color on a truck.

I love it! ... i wonder how many of this color were made?
Build it to look like this! That's my vote. Then you will really have something.

But hey! what do I know. UFF DAH!
Wayne

Old 04-14-2006, 04:41 PM
fiftyfourford
Freshman User
Well.. thats what im thinking.. i love the look of that truck! .. may do it exactly like that.. but chrome the front grill..?? we will see..

Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM
captchas
54 seems to be a lot of that color around where i live on the oldies

Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 AM
53Merc
Elder User
Arrow Welcome !

Let me add my WELCOME to FTE as well!
There's no better place on the net for information and friendly fun!
Originally Posted by FOWL1
If your truck is original and the original color and it appears there is no surface rust, try to polish a fender and see what it comes up like. I used to work with a guy that detailed cars and he used Mirror Glaze #3 & #7, 50/50 mix to bring the paint up. he would then buff it out and out on a good wax. This was at a car dealership and this guy could take the oldest oxidized paint and bring it back to life. Give that a shot if you have a good unsurface rusted spot and see what you come up with.
I agree! It's amazing what some of the new materials can do to old oxidized paint.
However, I'm with the crew that's suggesting to get her running safe and drive it a season. Then you'll have your own experience to assess all this good advice against and you can make informed decisions based on both your own as well as other's experiences. You're less likely to make decisions you regret that way and you'll have more fun and satisfaction I suspect! I support your idea of Upgrading to front discs and radials for safety and comfort. The small 8" drums on teh front were built for very different driving conditions

It sounds like you understand and can appreciate what a treasure you have both as an heirloom and a solid piece of vintage technology! ENJOY!
GW

Quick Reply: 1954 F100 (Grandpas Gift)