99 4.2L Help

Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 PM
pablopsd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4.2L Help

Hello All,
I am looking for some assistance from you all. I have a 99 E250 with a 4.2L v-6. Bought it used 3 years ago with 58k. Other than crappy mileage, it has been great. It is used for work. It was starting to have a little miss. Just did an oil change, plugs, wires and fuel filter. The skip has become really bad. Idle is beautiful. Exceleration from a stop seems to be the worst. I had it idleing today for a while while we loaded up some stuff. During that time the service engine soon light came on. I did the fuel filter today, and had the neg cable disconnected on the battery, so the light is now off. Just seems to continue to get worse. Feels like a vehicle that is running on empty. Can't really be out of service with it for too long. Hope you have some advice.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
pablopsd
New User
Well,
We hooked it up to a diagnostic machine today and it said the cam sensor switch was bad. We replaced it but it still isn't right. It is great for the first 5-10 minutes when it is cold, then it acts up. I brought it to a shop today. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update. My computer time has been limited so I didn't get to respond already.
Welcome to FTE and the 4.2 forum. Glad to have you here.
Hope you get your problem solved and it doesn't cost you a ton of $$$!
Keep us posted.
Thanks!

Old 04-01-2006, 12:56 PM
pablopsd
New User
I got the van back today. They picked up the same codes as we did, and also replace the sensor, hoping that it was a bad sensor that I received. However, that was not the case. The shaft that works with the cam sensor was very worn, and they ended up replacing that as well. Hopefully that will fix the problem. However, we test drove the van today and it did have 2 minor hiccups. Still have no codes. Trying to be optimistic. I plan on running some fuel injector cleaner through the system once the fuel level gets down. Let us pray....

Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
pablopsd
New User
Update

Well,
They are replacing the computer, as they now say it is the computer. I guess there is a small water leak from above that caused the computer to get wet. They are searching for the water leak. Hope to get it resolved soon. How fragile is the computer unit to exterior water exposure? I expect that it might be. Any input?

Pablo

Old 04-13-2006, 03:38 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Pablo,
I can't say for sure about the specifics of your case, but as we all know, as a general water and computers don't mix very well.
Where exactly is the damaged item located?
Inside the kick panel?
Under the hood?
Under the seat?
Just curious as to what they are refering to as "the computer".

Let us know!

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
pablopsd
New User
The computer they are talking about is inside the cab, behind the passenger kick panel. It's as if the water was dripping from the window area or something like that. Small grey box. Sound right? It is an E250 van, not a pick-up.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:34 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Yep. That sounds right.
Hope you get it resolved and it doesn't cost you a ton of $$.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 AM
pablopsd
New User
computer didn't fix it. At a loss. Still getting cam sensor circuit code, I tried to clean the connection with electronics cleaner. Is there someting else that could result in that code? Please help, as I need to get this vehicle reliably in service!

Paul

Search this Thread