A4LD Reverse slips, all drive gears ok

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 PM
ppanepinto
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4LD Reverse slips, all drive gears ok

Hi:

I have specific and general transmission questions that many other hobby mechanics might also have.

Can anyone tell me how to find the control pressure specs for the A4LD for a 1985 Bronco II 2.8L? My reverse gear goes in and out (slips and catches). I know the common problem of the o-rings on the low-reverse servo and I replaced them just to be sure. But, I didn't think this was the problem because low gear works just fine. Oddly, reverse works fine in 4-wheel drive LO, but slips and catches in 2-wheel or 4-wheel HIGH.

My guess - since all forward gears work well - is that Reverse clutch assembly is burnt/worn/ or has la eaking seal or check ball; or the reverse band is worn. Do you agree??? How likely is it that the reverse band went out of adjustment (I have not attempted to adjust it). If the reverse band were out of adjustment, wouldn't I also have problems with low gear?

I bought the ATSG service manual for the A4LD and read it cover to cover. While it gives an excellent description of the parts and how to rebuild the transmission, I still cannot figure out how the thing is supposed to work. I plan to take old A4LD apart just to try to figure it out.

Can anyone describe the theory behind them? How exactly does the transmission shift from one gear to the next? How does it know when to shift? What do the valves do? How do the servos engage or disengage the clutches? Since the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel, it can turn in only one direction. So, how is reverse possible?

Where can I read about the theory behind the automatic transmission?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 04-10-2006, 06:35 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 PM
shiloh66
Junior User
I ran into the same exact problem a few months ago. It came out of a wrecked 87 ranger,so I thought it would be a good one. It worked fine in forward,and It worked ok when it was cold,but after it warmed up it did just like you described. It thought it might be a sticking valve so I added a quart of Trans-X, and also adjusted the low-reverse band. No fix. I just canned it and found one from a local salvage yard. My intentions are to learn how to rebuild them.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if the A4LD is anything like the C-4, but if memory serves me correctly, you should also be having issues with Drive/3rd, or one of the other forward gears, since the reverse band is coupled with one of the forward gears, IF memory serves me correctly. Not sure if they are adjustable, as I have never owned a ranger or BII with this particular tranny, but, more than likely, if a band adjustment doesn't do the trick, it's time to put new clutch packs in there. I had a similar problem on a C-4 and it eventually went completely out... no reverse or high (low?) gear (as I said, can't remember if it was reverse/low or reverse/high).

Old 04-11-2006, 01:17 AM
ppanepinto
New User
No Reverse ONLY

Thanks for the responses. The A4LD is from an 87 Ranger also.

The reverse and low gear clutch are together. Yet, I have no problem in low gear. Weird.

Anyone else see this?

Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
captchas
time for a rebuild man. 1985 ? it's a good unit and it can easily be made better . sounds more to me like the rev apply band is worn out.