Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Thumbs up Injectors are in!!!

This day has turned out to be a good one.
A few days ago my injectors arrived from Beans deisel performance.
I ordered stockers with new, not reconditioned, nozzles and plungers.
I had originally planned to come in this Saturday to install them, but the workload at the shop allowed me to bring the truck in and install them today.
I was planning to take soundbytes of before and after the install but I was way too excited to wait.
11:00 am
I brought the truck in and pulled the valve covers, removed the gaskets and the wiring harness's.
I pulled both rear injectors and let the oil and fuel run down into the cylinder. I thought that just putting a shop towel over the hole would deflect the oil that comes back up through the injector hole. I rolled under the truck and proceeded to turn over the engine by hand and immediatly noticed that the oil came out with enough force to blow the rag out of the way and soak the air conditioner. UGH. (Stuff a ton of rags on top of the air conditioner unit.)
Ok, that hurdle is over; pull the rest of the injectors. Routine job.
The tips of the old injectors didn't appear to be that worn out, but they were sure making a lot of noise during operation.
Remove the oil deflector tubes using a 5mm allen and the 3/8" impact gun.
Install them on the new injectors, leave them a touch loose for the final adjustment later.
Remove all the glow plugs.
Install all the new injectors.
Torque them to 120 inch pounds.
Roll under the truck again and turn over the engine for two complete cycles ( 4 crankshaft revolutions) NO LESS. More if you hear oil spurting out of the glow plug holes.
Position some cardboard over the cylinder heads to deflect any flying oil.
Crank the engine over (no load on the starter with the glow plugs out) to fill the HPOP rail. This requires a couple of minutes total crank times. Don't do it all at once or you'll bake the starter. 30 seconds, go clean up your tools for 5 minutes and then come back and crank for another 30 seconds. Repeat a couple of times.
Remove the cardboard.
Install the glow plugs. I had a full set of Bosch part number 80 033 ( OEM ) glow plugs that I purchaced a couple of weeks ago to install along with the injectors.
Reinstall the valve covers, boost tubes, reconnect whatever sensors, connectors that were removed to gain access.
4:00 PM
I cranked on the starter for about 15 seconds and it fired with a big cloud of smoke.
I am immediatly struck with how much healthier the idle sounds. A deeper tone, more even, not a bit quieter. So crisp, so clean. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for new injector nozzles. Sounds like a BRAND NEW engine.

Driving around it's smooth, quiet, powerful, all the hammering is gone.
And the amount of throttle required to maintain speed is cut in half. I am positive that my lost mileage is coming back.
Underway the engine is so much quieter that I strain to hear the diesel noise over my 5" cannon, all four windows down.
I am completly satisfied with the fruit of my labors, starting with the Hutch mod, and removing the quick connects, the oriface mod to completly remove the air from the fuel rails and now the final addition: putting in the fuel injectors.
Life is good.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Posting Guru

mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good deal!

South Bend Clutch, MOTORSPORTSSUPPLY.COM, Pure Diesel Power & Performance, Carson Stauffer Diesel Service, Weston Shupe, zstroken

Old 04-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Kevin you are either up VERY early or VERY late.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Life is good.
Yup! Say it again!

You're just about ready for summer now, aren't you?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 04-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Posting Guru

clem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Congrats Kwik, Nothing like the satisfaction of a job well done.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:48 AM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.
Roland Mueck
I like your description of the injector replacement process. I copied and saved it for future reference. Thanks for sharing. Good job!
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear ...SOLD...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Posting Guru

guzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to all
Nice write-up Kwik. I'll be saving it for future reference (hopefully in 50K miles or more Click the image to open in full size. ) It's good to hear that they made a tremendous difference.
If you own a 99-03 7.3 PSD, this is the place to be:
Roadside Help Network
Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Elder User

trakman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How many?

So Kwik....how many miles did you have on the used injectors. Really made that much difference, huh?
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Post Fiend

69,000 miles. About 55,000 of those were sucking foamy fuel until I did the Hutch and other mods to the fuel delivery system on my truck.
The engine would rock when the fast idle would activate in the morning and sound like it was running on 7 & 1/2 cylinders. Underway it would sound like a rod was trying to knock. It was getting loud enough to make me feather the throttle and drive around at 2500 rpm. At 2000 it was hammer hammer hammer. And the mileage was taking a nose dive.
I haven't had a chance to drive all the air out of the HPOP rails yet. Only got about 15 miles so far. But it is a VAST improvement over what it was doing before. I'm looking forward to vacation next month pulling the trailer.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Postmaster

ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.ryaneverk2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Awesome job, Dan! It's great to hear that all went smoothly and they made such a big difference for you truck.
My Truck Pics
Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Postmaster

clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Great info Kwik.. do you need to use any "special" tools to do the job?
Clint... Early 99, F350, 4X4, Auto, DRW, S-Cab, Gauges, Diablosport 60 HP, OilGuard, Tru-Cool 28K, 5% Biodiesel, Shell Synthetic 5w40, Western Diesel TurboRamAir, MagnaFlow Exhaust, SSHPX, CCV Mod, Fuel Line/Tank Mod., Speed Bleeders, Bilstiens....
Old 04-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Post Fiend

jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
Nice writeup. Good to hear that injectors can make that much of a difference. I'd expect it to be purring like a little kitten once you've gotten all the air purged out of the HPOP rails. Maybe time for a little evening drive after work today?

See My Webshots for pics.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Elder User

RobertJohn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice work Kwik...
I'm having mine scanned next week to see if my injectors are bad, I'm hoping I don't have to replace them all, it's the $$$$.
I've done a search for the Hutch Mod and can/t find it.
Any ideas on which thread it is ????
ELC.. Warn Hubs...SS HPX...6.0 tranny cooler
.50 cent mod, but only spent .25
CCV mod
Old 04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Post Fiend

Tenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud ofTenn01PSD350 has much to be proud of
I believe this might help.

BTW, congrats KWIKK. Good writeup.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior User

Batgeek is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've seen those instuctions before on their site, but could not find the in tank and pre-pump kit listed for sale anywhere on their web site. Is it an over the phone item or have they discontinued it?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 73, 73l, diesel, f350, harness, injector, injectors, knock, loud, power, reinstalling, replacement, stroke, tone, wiring