1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
thadavvg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alignment problem

Replaced the lower ball joint, tie rods, and upper ball joint (passenger) and took my truck in to have it aligned. I had never had any problems with this shop before so I trusted they would do the job right. Got my truck back, it still pulls to the right. Went back to the shop and asked what was up, they said they lined up the wheels but they can't adjust the upper contol arm. I know thats a crock so I talk to the manager. he says it is their policy to not do uppers on these trucks and suggests I take it to the dealer. Basically I'm never going back to this shop again but.

I want to try to save some money since I'm already out 60 bucks on this. Which way do I need to move that upper control arm to fix the right pull. I don't mind the guess and check method. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are the wheels sitting pretty much straight up and down if you look at them from the front? They should be.
I would try swapping the tires side to side and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes a tire can cause a pull.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 AM
thadavvg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The right tire was leaning a little out at the top so I moved the back side of the upper control arm in a little. The control arms left vs right aren't in the exact same position now but the tire sits better and the pull is nearly gone. I moved the front tires to the rear. Someone told me that most cars are designed to pull very slightly to the right to avoid head on collisions. Any validity to this?