Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
father/son
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
father/son asking for real help

Bill and the rest of the gang,
paul k here,
i am the man who has a young son and as i said long ago, we are intent on building and plan on within reason enjoying every dime our 351m/400m motor can give us back, provided we show HER at least basic respect, all motors deserve this period.
first, we would like to buy a geniune oil slinger for the crankshaft snout from any of you fella,s who might have one you can part with period. we need it, we want it and we will pay any FAIR price period.

second,
this is touchy, but i stand my ground,
apparently Mr Ford did through some years on our series install a bronze, drop in bypass orifice directly under the thermostat that is CRITICAL to proper cooling .
it is possible that Ford made a design change in later years , changed the cast iron block casting and took away the need for this part. we have heard it all on both sides of the fence. do any of you fella,s out there know the REAL deal and if you do, would you please share it with young buck and i.
could this be the reason many guy,s suffer overheating issues. a 2$ drop in orifice is in fact missing. makes sense to us.
we realize we are new and we are not quote established, but remember everybody starts somewhere.
i can and will say this with a strait face,
this is to my knowledge the BEST forumn around
PERIOD on the 351m/400m ford.
trust me, i have looked at more than i wish.
quietely and respectfully,
paul k
father/son henry ford rocks.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

AFAIK the brass drop in orifice was used in the 351C engines. When the 400 block was cast the orifice was made integral with the block so it can't go "missing". Many people do use the wrong thermostat tho. There are threads with that information in this forum and you will find more information here:
High Perfo<! >rmance Options for the 351M/4<! >00 En<! >gine by Dave Resch.

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-05-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 PM
father/son
Senior User
Mr Beyer

Bill,
paul kiernan here,
first and foremost sir, i did ask for, and recieved permission from yourself, many moons ago when i first joined to address you by your first name. you said by all means, and so here i am moderator SIR.
thank you for your quick reply and in addittion your site reference. that is the the best or most concise exp that i have seen lately over the history of our series.
i understand there is much confusion over these blocks. as i said, that is to date, the best that i have seen.
can we talk further,
our 351m (grin) 1979 block has as cast, what i would refer to, with all due RESPECT, as a cast in place protruding nipple of substantial diameter and height.
if i understand you correctly, we have no further need or concern over the infamous drop in orifice.

if so bill, please talk with us about your statement that some folks use the wrong thermostat. and what is behind your thoughts.
you obiviously do not have a slinger for sale but will you hash this over with me also.
i have my own thoughts about this and i honestly believe that my position is valid.
i am fully aware of the school of thought that says it is not needed.
thank you bill, just thank you
respectfully,
paul kiernan

Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
The 351 Cleveland has the drop in restrictor, all 351m/400 blocks have it cast in place. The restrictor cast in is only half the story though.

You must use a thermostat designed for the 351m/400. There are other thermostats with the corect diameter, but the correct thermostat is deeper and as the thermostat opens, it begins to block the bypass forcing the hot coolant to take the path of least resistance through the radiator hose to the radiator.

Use a thermostat based just on diameter will defeat this relationship, and even as the thermostat opens, hot coolant is free to recirculate through the engine, over and over and overheating will most assuredly, occur.

Make sure the thermostat you use is for the 351m/400. I like the Robert Shaw round high performance t-stats. There are others.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
I think you have me confused with someone else???

I do not have a slinger.

See my sig below...

Old 04-05-2006, 10:45 PM
father/son
Senior User
mr t bear 853 pk here

first mr BEAR,
i thank you,
second, if i were you, i would lobby MR BILL to strike that junior user title under your name.
why would i say that that. you may be new but you hardly speak like like a junior.
your post ,to date, makes the most mechanical sense that i have heard in a very long time concerning the orifice/BYPASS/thermo issue. within the 335 series. including the direction the water could or will take if she is not right.
i am here, anything else to share. i am with you so far.

mr eric,
you are correct, i did believe i was speaking to BILL the big boss, sorry bro
stuff happens. thanks for the answer on the slinger, we are still looking
later men,
respectfully
paul kiernan
father/son.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Brian S
Posting Guru
Just cut to the chase, no need for the flowery repertoire. If it turns out you have a 351C with a missing "orifice", they are difficult to find and usually sell for much more than $2.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Coolant flow in the 335 series; 351C/M/400:
---------------------------------------------------------
The 335 series routes coolant water in a unique fashion; directly from the head to the block without passing thru the intake manifold so the manifold is "dry". Coolant flows from the head to the block, and then into a chamber below the thermostat. When the thermostat is closed water flows downward thru the water bypass orifice (part number D0AZ-8K517-A on a Cleveland) and into the water pump for recirculation. When the engine warms sufficiently the thermostat opens and most of the coolant flows through the thermostat and then to the radiator for cooling with a small portion still flowing thru the bypass orifice. If the wrong thermostat is used the orifice will not be closed off properly, or if the orifice is removed on a 351C, a major portion of the coolant will flow directly back to the water pump rather than through the radiator which will cause overheating and hot spots.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Hmm, very ineresting. Anyone have part numbers on the thermostat? Is the 351C the same number?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beartracks
Hmm, very ineresting. Anyone have part numbers on the thermostat? Is the 351C the same number?
Here's a thread with some part numbers and a good discussion:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ght=thermostat

Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 PM
go_racing84
Elder User
Hey dudes, look what I just found the other day! This is the 180 degree stat I ordered when I first put my truck on the road last Summer. I got a 192 (maybe it was 195) at the same time and that's what's in the truck now, but I got this one 'just in case'.

Front of box

Robert Shaw logo

Thermostat top

Thermostat side

Thermostat bottom

Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
That is the right style and brand. You have the good one in your vehicle. It should be a 192-195°F stat.

The manufacturers website:
http://www.cooperstandard.com/us/en/...Thermostat.asp

Old 04-07-2006, 10:25 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Thanks for the number. I think I have the correct one.

Wellcome to the forum Paul. Don't worry about being overly polite. Were mostly think skinned and tolerant around here.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
father/son
Senior User
brian, paul k here,
look your right about the flowers, it was a respect thing because i know from hours of reading there a lott of no BS men on this site. the kind i kneed.
i can and will stand down, we want to be friends and build this 351 m for my little fella. he is under 14 and has done much of the work himself under my hand. for what is worth, we have a line on a slinger from a hardcore rebuild shop that he found in his junk box on the eastern shore md. waiting on his call now. again thanks BRIAN we want to talk more with you if you do. our feelings are not hurt in any fashion. you are right thow, flowers belong in the garden.
later paul kiernan

Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 AM
father/son
Senior User
eric,
i found out quick through back channels that it is in FACT YOU who is the moderator. again sorry i am knew, we feel the same way about you. we hope you are willing to help young buck and i with questions as they arise this is the best site that i have found and i have said so in the very beginning. we feel like we have the best site, we will ask for more help, but we absoutely will not CATFIGHT with anyone. very strong opposing views are actually good and very helpfull, but will not name call, we can find that on the lesser sites around. to us catfighting is just caveman testerone stuff where NO ONE learns ANYTHING. the oil slinger issue is a classic example.
later thanks
paul kiernan

Quick Reply: father/son asking for real help