1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Front end refresh

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Scorpion_DvT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end refresh

Well, the nice weather is coming and I wanted to refresh the front end, I'm getting alot of funky noises up there, I already replaced the upper and lower ball joints and swaybay links, what else can I replace that might get rid of any clunking noises that happen when you go over bumps? I'm also getting this weird squeeling noise when I'm driving, it's definitly a rotation noise and I know it's not from my brakes, would bad hubs cause this? Thanks for you help in advance, you guys have been awesome in the past and looking for some more advice, thanks

Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Bliath
Senior User
I would also look into the inner and outer tie rod ends for wear and replace the shock absorbers all around the truck to freshen up the linkage and suspension on the chassis. I do not know what else could cause the noise but other front end components may be the cause (possible CV joint on the four wheel trans-axel half shaft) all relatively easy and low cost.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Scorpion_DvT
Freshman User
Replacing the tie rods also require an alignment right? I have access to a bay and tools through the military, but I've never done anything like this before, how long am I looking at for time for completing tie rod ends, shocks and CV joints, am I looking at a whole day?

Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Bliath
Senior User
An alignment may be necessary afterwards. Shocks and tie rods should take about two hours if you have some capibilities. As far as the CV joints go, they ar not dificult but they are one piece with the axel shafts and cost about 140 dollars each and typically do not wear out easily. A mechanic should be able to inspect these compoents during an oil change give you an idea if they are worn or not. They will be lose with some play in them if your try to wobble the tire or grab the part itself.