Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Senior User

Orpackrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question What types of pipe for WVO?

What types of pipe can be used for WVO and will not have a reaction. I am doing some research on how to use a vehicles exhaust system to preheat WVO. An idea was suggested to me on using a pipe and electric controller to divert exhaust from mid-pipe and reconnect at the end near the outlet. The idea is to have a metal line for the fuel to travel down within this alternate exhaust line. Another method instead of an electronic controller, but with testing a small diameter pipe (yet to be determined) instead of an electric controller. I would like to know what types of metal can be used with WVO without any problems.

Thanks.
Manual Glow Plugs
Converting to run WVO, almost there.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Postmaster

Fullcrew7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fullcrew7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was going to ask the same thing. Mind you, specifically copper. I got a slip tank the other day and am now going to set up an egine coolant coil to go inside for warming so I can run bio all winter. Gonna heat the fuel lines as well. Anyway, that's a little different question than packrat's, but along the same lines.
Thanks
1996 F350 CC 7.3L PSD DRW, DIY 4x4 conversion, 4.10 gears, Sky 3" RSK, DIY 4" exhaust, 3" diamond eye DP, SC 1705, Stage 1 Rosewood sticks, Valair SMF, SD I/C, 37/12.50/16.5 wranglers and some more DIY stuff
Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullcrew7.3
I was going to ask the same thing. Mind you, specifically copper. I got a slip tank the other day and am now going to set up an egine coolant coil to go inside for warming so I can run bio all winter. Gonna heat the fuel lines as well. Anyway, that's a little different question than packrat's, but along the same lines.
Thanks
No aluminium or copper, WVO is acidic, steel is ok.
FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 PM
New User

Kapper44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've been doing a lot of research on converting my '03 PSD to run on WVO. Still trying to decide on which company makes the best conversion kit, but one thing everyone seems to agree on is Steel Fuel Lines. Not only is the WVO acidic, but apparently the copper lines oxidize the WVO and increases the acidity of the WVO going through components causing early failure.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
On Plant Drive kits we supply a modified stock line That runs from the HFCM to the engine, both supply and return. The Vegtherm and the other items are pre-attached to this line if you go with the Vegtherm option. This makes the conversion go pretty quick since these lines have the Ford quick disconnect ends.

All other lines are good quality HP rubber fuel lines. In our two tank design the diesel and WVO only share the steel section of line forward of the HFCM and the little secondary filter in the valley of the engine, so rubber is not an issue.

email me we can talk more about the Plant Drive kit
Old 04-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you mix in 20% Diesel and 5% Gasoline with some cetane boost and filter it really really good, you shouldn't need a conversion kit.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
If you mix in 20% Diesel and 5% Gasoline with some cetane boost and filter it really really good, you shouldn't need a conversion kit.
Horse pucky

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
The last thing you want to do is run a cold engine on WVO. Upper ring land coaking will soon follow. Running unheated WVO will lead to the same effect. There are a many studies that address this very point.

Convert the veggie or convert the vehicle the only two good choices.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 PM
New User

Way2Slo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why not just heat the WVO with a heat exchanger or water coil?
Start it on diesel and switch over after warm... (110-125) We actually left it on to long and overheated the rubber? rings around the fuel line and started leaking Diesel. We now have a safety on it and if the oil hits 130 it shuts the pump off.

http://www.lytron.com/custom/exchangers.asp

Last edited by Way2Slo; 04-08-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Horse pucky
Ditto what Fab said.
Besides they wont stay mixed.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
The cool thing about heating the oil from the exhaust, is that you could potentially have more control of the temp, and higher oil temps. Oh yea, no copper!! or galvanized tanks!!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Senior User

Orpackrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could a stainless steel fuel line work for WVO and the orginal secondary fuel tank on the truck?
Manual Glow Plugs
Converting to run WVO, almost there.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
conversions, copper, diesel, diy, duty, ford, fuel, line, lines, metalpipe, pipe, piping, super, types, wvo