Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Cleaning Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 07:52 AM
TJF
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Engine

Old 04-22-2002, 03:21 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Cleaning Engine

I just got a 351 cleveland and I am tearing it apart and I want to clean the whole thing so I can paint some stuff. What have you folks had good luck with? This will be the whole engine, block heads everything. What do you guys suggest? Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-22-2002, 03:32 PM
gizz
Freshman User
Cleaning Engine

I got my engine from my old 50 F1 warm then sprayed it down with "grease off" or you could use gunk engine degreaser. I let it sit for a bit then used a pressure washer with hot water and it removed some major grease really well. I repeated this process several times until i had it as clean as possible. Just be careful with the pressure washer cause it'll take labels, wording, paint, etc if you have the pressure real high or hold it too close for too long.
I mainly used it on the "heavy" parts where damage was not very likely. Not matter how you do it you'll end up with grease on your arms, in your face, and in your hair

Old 04-22-2002, 03:47 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Cleaning Engine

Yeah I am not worried about gettin dirty, I got dirty enough taking the engine out. The engine is not in a vehicle so how can I get it warm?

Old 04-22-2002, 04:01 PM
gizz
Freshman User
Cleaning Engine

You won't be able to warm the block up but that's OK cause the grease off or gunk will work on a cold block just not as good. You may have to repeat the process a couple more times but it'll eventually get it clean. Main thing is to use hot water if you can. As you know Grease is sort of like butter when you warm it up it starts to get runny. The warmer you can get the grease the easier it'll come off. If you end up renting a hot water pressure blaster (of which i've never done but it would work good) you will be able to get the grease warmed up before using the grease off/gunk engine degreaser.
If the engine has heavy grease buildup you might just want to use a scraper blade/small putty knife to remove the bulk of the heavy grease. Once you feel you've gotten all you can then you could use the engine degreaser.
Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2002, 04:12 PM
jaysonb
Senior User
Cleaning Engine

Once it is clean and free of grease, a wire-wheel attachment on an angle grinder does wonders to the cast iron parts before painting.
If you are using canned-spray paint, be sure you get more than enough while you are at the store, before you start.
Jayson

Old 04-22-2002, 04:15 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Cleaning Engine

Thanks for the help guys, this should be an interesting project. What paint would be best. Obviously I will need a high heat withstanding paint but is there a certain kind that works well.

Old 04-22-2002, 04:30 PM
jaysonb
Senior User
Cleaning Engine

I've had pretty good luck using the canned stuff labled as "High Temp Engine Paint" Cast iron actually paints pretty easy, with cans, you just apply several light coats till you get good even coverage. On a side note, there are a few shades of blue, so be sure you get the right blue. That's why I said buy plenty the first time, then you won't have to worry about which shade is the right one when you run out and need more and didn't take an empty can to the store with you...

You may want to also ask about this in the paint forum and see if the Pro's have any advice on using a regular paint gun/compressor set up and paint types. Good Luck!

Jayson

Old 04-22-2002, 05:43 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cleaning Engine

I've had some trouble with overspray on the cans so last time I painted engine (black)I used stove paint from the hardware store. It's rated for high temp and goes on where you want it. It looks good and lasts.Good luck.
Dono

Old 04-22-2002, 07:10 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleaning Engine

If you have that engine in a stand just wheel it outside someplace where
you won't mind the stuff that comes of getting on your driveway or floor
get it out there when the sun is high in the sky .let it sit there and soak it with gunk do it a couple of times .then use the pressure washer
it comes right off.

make sure you paint it nice ford blue

Later
rich

Ford Trucks Built Tough!
not with rocks
Watch out "X" Mayor of Truckville

Old 04-22-2002, 07:52 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Cleaning Engine

Forty Fords that sounds good also.

Old 04-22-2002, 09:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cleaning Engine

For final de-greasing paint prep,I use lacquer thinner and a brush.

It dries great.
Then I paint the cast with Zinc Chromate, then finish with either cast iron grey or Ford Blue,depending on what colour I want it.

the colour scheme on my 429 is Black,Cast Iron Grey & Brushed aluminium accents.

[b][i][font color=red]Dennis[/font][i][b]

[font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

Need to decode your 78 Truck data plate? click here

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/FordTruckCodes.html

[font color=red]If New Ford Parts Is What You're Cravin',
Then Buy Them HERE,At Motorhaven!

[/font]

Feel free to visit my website.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html

[font color =red] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 04-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
Cleaning Engine

i just bought a really tough engine degreeser form zeller for 3 bucks. sprayed it on and rubbed off the grease then painted the valve cover, water pump cover, block and whatnot. it looks good

Old 04-23-2002, 02:03 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Cleaning Engine

Another cleaner to try is a 50/50 mixture of Castrol Super Clean (purple stuff) and ordinary kerosene. Don't let it sit on a hot engine too long b4 rinsing or it will take the paint off and will also dull any aluminum part finish. It is a very powerfull cleaning combination. This stuff will work on a cold engine. I actually prefer to use it on a cold engine since it gives me more time to let it sit and work b4 I have to rinse. Try to rinse b4 it dries out, if you have to, mist areas that are threatening to dry with cleaning mixture or kerosene. I spray it on with the spray bottle that the cleaner comes in. I buy the cleaner by the gallon ($5/gal on sale) for mixing and refills. Rinse very very well with a good garden hose nozzle after use and allow to dry b4 reapplication for the best penetration and results. The Castrol cleaner is very caustic and attacks grease with a vengance. The kerosene helps soften the grease.

Follow Mil1ion's directions for final prep b4 painting to get the last bit of oils out of the surface pores.

Engine paint from the parts house is a high temp paint but it won't stay near exhaust ports etc. Ford did change their "Ford Blue" color they used over the years so get the proper "vintage" for your truck.

Castrol Super Clean also works in a pressure washer on driveways and engines also. I also use the mix of 25%Castrol to 75% kerosene for a dry driveway pre-soak.

over!

Old 04-23-2002, 03:04 AM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Cleaning Engine

Thanks for all the help guys its great. As for what colour I am going to paint the engine, I have no idea. Chances are I will just go with the Ford blue because I have no idea what it is going in yet. I might look for an old Mustang or something to swap it into. Once again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Engine