Modular V10 (6.8l)  

K&N intake system

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:28 AM
hemlockdj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N intake system

Can anyone give me first hand experince with putting a K&N intake system/filter on a '99 V10? I see these advertised and was wondering if they are worth the money.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Denis4x4
Trailering
I have a K&N Filtercharger on my '99 V10. Worth it for power if you also install a low restrictor muffler at the same time. There was a small increase in mileage. One tip: be sure all of the clamps are tight and there are no leaks between the filter and the intake housing. Easy to install and some of the best installation instructions I've ever run across.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There isn't much restriction in the stock system. I'd go with a drop in K&N over the kit.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check this post out and see if you still want to go with the K&N:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...37#post3550937

Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 AM
captchas
stay with the stock paper filter that photo dose not lie. i have a afe kit and just went and reinstalled my stock system after cleaning my mass air senser for the 3rd time in 6 months due to the mil lamp comeing on.
the only thing my afe will be used for now is at shows. and a after market paper insert is not that costly for yours any way. mine is still ouch but worth it.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 AM
hemlockdj
New User
Thanks for the info. I was taking to a co-worker about this and did not want to put out the money if it was not worth it. My '99 has 48,000 miles on it and never had an issue. I know not a lot of miles yet.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided when I got my '99 that I would "boost" the power a little. Installed the K&N and noticed no change...except the MAF sensor didn't like it. Of course I live in the boondocks and every road is a dust storm.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 205 Likes on 137 Posts
No air filter will give you an improvement in fuel economy. Think about it. When you drive, the largest restriction in the air system is the throttle plate. Unless the throttle is wide open (maybe that's the fuel economy issue?) the restriction across the air filter is insignificant. Reducing the air filter restriction by going to an aftermarket filter or removing the thing altogether only means the throttle plate has to pinch down a little more for the same power. After all, the engine only needs so much air to go with the fuel.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob

Thanks for the photo link... I felt vindicated initially but after thinking about it I think that owner is full of hoooey

I have had many of the most wicked turbo set up v6 and v8 motors over the years and many of them saw a LOT of high HP very hard duty two on Dakar type time trials in the gravel and dirt.

I am also a turbine engine mechanic (retired) on Army Helicopter engines... we fly them in extreme sand and dust environments all the time. My car and bike turbo impellers spin between 60,000 and 120,000 rpm. The N1 section of Helo gas turbine motors I rebuilt, were in the same rpm range.

I never saw any damage like that in any of my filtered racing turbos. I did see a LOT of the exact same damage in the turbine wheels of the helicopter motors..difference was the helo motor has no way to really keep dust and sand out without fairly sophisticated and heavy cyclone tube air filter systems. We ingest a LOT of sand and that is the debris that ate up that fellows turbine wheel.

Sorry but I doubt that the K&N caused that damage. I am one of the few here for the past 5 years that says the Oil soaked Gauze filter all PASS more particulate matter initially UNTIL they are properly LOADED with caught particles. I also mention that when they are properly filtering, then the CFM they will flow is reduced.

But don't look at that picture and believe for one minuet that a ARE, K&N or other oil soaked gauze filter will pass play box sized sand into your motor.

I don't recommend the K&N for two simple reasons...COST and the fact that once properly filtering they do NOT flow any better then the factory stock paper filter. I also do use the K&N on several of my motors.

For drag racing the LIGHTLY oiled filter will keep out the big stuff but at WOT flow the most air possible and still be filtered.

But I swear on my high tech 3v V10 they will never ever be installed...

Old 03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Bob

Thanks for the photo link... I felt vindicated initially but after thinking about it I think that owner is full of hoooey

I have had many of the most wicked turbo set up v6 and v8 motors over the years and many of them saw a LOT of high HP very hard duty two on Dakar type time trials in the gravel and dirt.

I am also a turbine engine mechanic (retired) on Army Helicopter engines... we fly them in extreme sand and dust environments all the time. My car and bike turbo impellers spin between 60,000 and 120,000 rpm. The N1 section of Helo gas turbine motors I rebuilt, were in the same rpm range.

I never saw any damage like that in any of my filtered racing turbos. I did see a LOT of the exact same damage in the turbine wheels of the helicopter motors..difference was the helo motor has no way to really keep dust and sand out without fairly sophisticated and heavy cyclone tube air filter systems. We ingest a LOT of sand and that is the debris that ate up that fellows turbine wheel.

Sorry but I doubt that the K&N caused that damage. I am one of the few here for the past 5 years that says the Oil soaked Gauze filter all PASS more particulate matter initially UNTIL they are properly LOADED with caught particles. I also mention that when they are properly filtering, then the CFM they will flow is reduced.

But don't look at that picture and believe for one minuet that a ARE, K&N or other oil soaked gauze filter will pass play box sized sand into your motor.

I don't recommend the K&N for two simple reasons...COST and the fact that once properly filtering they do NOT flow any better then the factory stock paper filter. I also do use the K&N on several of my motors.

For drag racing the LIGHTLY oiled filter will keep out the big stuff but at WOT flow the most air possible and still be filtered.

But I swear on my high tech 3v V10 they will never ever be installed...
Fred,

This isn't the first report of a "dusted turbo" on FTE from the use of a K&N. There have been several reports of these failures using a K&N. I find it interesting that K&N is explicit in their warranty, that they are not responsible for any kind of damage that may result in the use of their filters.
I also find it interesting that they recommend the "pre-charger" filter to be
used with their regular filter in dusty conditions.

Bottom line, I put K&N filters right there with Tornadoes, and splitfire sparkplugs.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Fred, one thing's for sure you sho know how to put it in words...

The more a filter is stopped up the better it filters...

I know...I know...

Old 03-30-2006, 08:02 PM
captchas
if any one with a 05/06 is looking for a afe kit for a v10 email me.i just happen to have one i'd part with . with the prefilter kit

Old 03-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
I'm not sticking up for K&N but I had one on my 91 Dodge Cummins for over 80K miles with no damage to the impeller. I used to check the intake tube for dust or oil and I never found any.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:45 PM
captchas
i have the stocker back on mine and thats where it's staying.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 PM
ptolalibertad
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What?!? No... you are telling me the splitfire plugs do not work??? Come on, i've seen the commercials on t.v. and i believe!!!!

Quick Reply: K&N intake system