Sponsored by:

Remove and Replace rear parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
billspight
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove and Replace rear parking sensors

I have searched on the forum to find how to remove the rear parking sensors on my 2000 EX, but no luck. Can someone steer me in the direction of how to or find a thread that tells me how to remove them?

Thanks!!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:36 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Have you looked up inside your rear bumper? They're one of the easiest things one can remove from their X.

There are a few molded-in clips in each sensor-housing that need to be squeezed / compressed, then the sensor can be easily pushed rearward. Make certain to disconnect the subject sensor from the wriing harness before removal.

PS - I have an old friend named Bill Speight.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
billspight
Freshman User
Thanks I was not sure if they had to be removed from the back or squeezed and pushed in from the front.

Thanks again!
Bill

Old 03-29-2006, 11:06 PM
CUINAK
Freshman User
sensor fix

From prior discussions, when a backup sensor goes bad or is simply not fully plugged in correctly, then your sensor disable button (located by the driver) will light up when your X is placed in reverse and as you back up you will hear NO beeps at all. This is a different situation compared to when one or more of the sensors is simply wet or dirty from road grime and you get continuous beeps when backing up until the sensor face is either cleaned or dried out. Apparently all four sensors must be working correctly (in unison) for the backup assist system to function correctly.

Here's a simple trial and error process to identify the faulty sensor and to replace it, assuming you only have one bad sensor in play, which is the likely situation. Before you begin, you must first get your hands on a new sensor. I purchased a new single $57 sensor over the net, excl shipping (local dealer wanted $90). OEM part is # YL1Z-15K859-AA.

Just crawl underneath the back bumper and look up and you can easily access each sensor by hand (use a flashlight to see more clearly). It's best to start with either the far left sensor or far right sensor given their ease of access given the tow bar makes access to the middle sensors a bit less accessible. Gently pry the black plastic tabs that hold a sensor wiring harness to the bumper (start with the tab at the 12 o'clock position of the wiring harness and then again with the tab at the 6 o'clock position while gently pulling on the wiring harness to release it from the bumper). It also helps to push on the sensor face located on the outside of the bumper while working with the tabs to facilitate the release of the wiring harness containing the sensor. Leave your other 3 sensors in place for the time being.

Next, plug your new OEM sensor into the wiring harness and then re-install (push) the wiring harness back into the bumper the same way it came out and click it back into the holding tabs. Next, start your engine and put the X in reverse and see if the backup system now works correctly. If yours does, then great you guessed correctly the first time, and your done. If not, take the used sensor you just removed and use it in the neighboring sensor by repeating the same process described above until the faulty sensor is finally discovered. If all else fails, then visit your local dealer.

Best of Luck !
CUINAK