Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear leaf spring ?

Old 12-18-2002, 10:20 AM
pward76
Elder User
rear leaf spring ?

I posted this in the suspansion forum, but my experience is that I get quicker answers here, so...

I've got a 68 Ranger and I think the springs are shot. I have new shocks all around and the box still wiggles all over with very little pressure. I was looking at the leaf springs and noticed that the shortest one (closest to the axle) is not in line with the others. It is offset about 15 degrees, like it pivoted slightly right under the axle. Is this normal, and, if not, would it be causing the suspension to be very mushy?
Thanks!

Old 12-18-2002, 10:32 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
rear leaf spring ?

I use www.eatonsprings.com These folks most likely built the springs under your truck for Ford. They are very knowledgeable, helpful and the place to get springs for any application. I wanted a softer ride from my F100 SWB and the springs Eaton supplied do that. They offer a progressively wound front coil that rides a little softer but has plenty of support if needed. Add gas shocks all around and a sway bar in front and you will be back in business. I believe the center bolt has failed in your current spring pack. Time for new springs and don't forget the shackles.
William in Atlanta

Old 12-18-2002, 10:48 AM
pward76
Elder User
rear leaf spring ?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Dec-02 AT 11:50 AM (EST)]Thanks, William.

I put Monroe gas-matics on all four corners. I was just wondering if I could get that leaf lined back up, if my problem would go away. I'll admit that I don't know a whole bunch about this...what center bolt has failed? I can see 2 U shaped rods holding the leaf to the axle - where is this center bolt?

Oh, and I was right about the quicker answer - it took 12 minutes in this forum!

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2002, 12:07 PM
LXP69EAST
New User
rear leaf spring ?

the center bolt does serve two important purposes. it holds the leafs together at the center and it also ensures the rear end housing doesn't shift under torque. that is if the u-bolts are tight. if
one of the leafs has rotated directly above the axle chances are
they are loose. the center bolt is probably not broken and it could
be ok. on the other hand count the leafs on both sides to see if
they have the same amount. it may be possible for a short leaf to break in the center work its way out, and be missing altogether.
my guess would be just loose u-bolts but why? if a leaf was missing
the bolts would be loose enough to allow the rear end to either
shear or hop over the center bolt and would be very easy to spot.
the u bolts don't just loosen up unless someone has not torqued
them evenly or enough lbs. try tightening them and see if they
may have streached. you mentioned you could see two u shaped rods
i assume you could see all four nuts? your best bet is the spring shop unless the springs were replaced and even at that if they
have been loose for long that means worn parts. you might also check the mounting bolts of the box? the way it sounds could be either or? these old trucks are sure fun. eatonsprings.com i'm going
to check them out thanks william. LXP

Old 12-18-2002, 12:31 PM
pward76
Elder User
rear leaf spring ?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Dec-02 AT 01:31 PM (EST)]I can see all 4 nuts on the u-bolts, although I have not tried to see if they are loose. I have the same number of leaves on both sides. I will check tonight and see if I can find this center bolt. Where is it?

Old 12-18-2002, 03:07 PM
LXP69EAST
New User
rear leaf spring ?

ok a little more on location of: pick the side with the loosest or most ofset spring leaf. grab a nice long preferably 3/4" drive breaker
bar and ratchet couple this to a 15/16" socket. make sure you have two new u-bolts and nuts make sure they are the right size for the app. use a wire brush to remove any build up of dirt, etc. unless
you happen to have a cutting torch handy to burn the nuts off being
careful not to burn any hoses, wires, brake or fuel lines. of course
you already have a fire extinguisher attached to the bottle cart just
in case. if the torch is a no go and air & impact wrench (heavy duty 1/2" at least) aren't within arms reach apply penitrating oil and
breaker bar. in just a matter of a few simple revolutions the nuts
will be off. if you find them real hard to remove it might ease the strain to loosen a bit apply more oil to the now exposed threads between the nut and plate then tighten and after a few back and forth
spins of the nut it should spin right off. just in case you might want a little flex-all 454 for the sore muscles and joints, just in case. you might want to remove the shock and get it out of the way
before you get the u-bolts completely off. now that you have every
thing holding the rear end housing and spring togeather off and ready
to go simply pump the handle on the floor jack you used when you placed the heavy duty stands under the truck, and again when you care-
fully adjusted the weight of the rear end so nothing moved more than a
quarter of an inch at a time when removing the hardware, raising the truck and still attached leaf spring off the rear end about 2" or so.
now if you look between the spring and axle housing you should be able to see a small extruded tit about 1/2" dia x 1/4" sticking out
the bottom of the spring. now if you look right above the tit on top of the spring you should see a nut with threads sticking out. this my
friend is the center bolt. you may want to wait until you have put
your hands on a good supply for the needed parts, you know maybe a couple of springs, shims, etc. you know "just in case" have fun
LXP

Old 12-18-2002, 06:42 PM
pward76
Elder User
rear leaf spring ?

Thanks, man.

I looked at that website, I didn't realize leaf springs were so darned expensive!